Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have discovered that I am highly allergic to this toxic substance, so I attempt to avoid it. I have been really sick lately with what I thought was Splenda related illness and had yet to track down the posionous substance, until THIS MORNING! I found it in REGULAR ICE CREAM SANDWICHES!!!

I am highly allergic to this stuff and I am usually pretty good about locating it, but for the last 4 days I have had it in my system and have almost ended up at the hospital for it. My allergic reaction mimics the SV and lasts for over 24 hours after exposure.

Now I'm sicker than I was because I just had some. I'm going to be calling the company that made the ice cream sandwiches and ask why there isn't a warning label on it.

Is anyone else out there allergic to Splenda? Has anyone had a bad experience related to this stuff?? I am seriously going to call Splenda today and chew them out!
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hang on... is splenda or sucralose that sugarless sweetener stuff??
    stef - everything happens for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by stef
    hang on... is splenda or sucralose that sugarless sweetener stuff??

Yup - sucralose is the chemical name for Splenda, which is found in TONS of stuff on the market (including stuff that isn't diet or labeled sugar free).
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you eliminated the possibility that you're consuming too many
    sugar alcohols? Compounds like sorbitol can be death by diarrhea, ask
    me how I know. Lol. ;D

The reason I ask is because a lot of people confuse overconsumption of
    sugar alcohol with an allergy to artificial sweetners. (I'm not saying
    you aren't allergic, just suggesting another possibility.)

I'm diabetic and eat quite a bit of Splenda myself, and I've never had a problem. I really need to lay off the Pepsi One.

Hope you feel better.

I spent $8 on this Splenda stuff. I tried it for 1 day and then researched it. I threw it away. The side effects from using it were everything we hate and more!!! Go to Google and do a search. I was planning on losing just 20 lbs and wanted to cut out sugar in my coffee. I would stay away from that stuff. use Equal, been around a long time and no side effects. Kim

"use Equal, been around a long time and no side effects"

Actually, Equal = aspartame, and there is a significant amount of controversy surrounding using this as well. Certain studies say that it has the potential to cause all sorts of problems, and may be linked to things such as autism or cancer- while other studies refute this. I think it's safe to say that it isn't conclusive whether Splenda OR other forms of sugar substitute is safe.

I think part of the issue is that certain sugar companies also have a stake in whether substitutes are considered healthy or not, and have a lot of money at their disposal tohire researchers to find what they are looking for, or make inferences that aren't necessarily correct.

Then, of course, there are things that are perfectly safe for some people, yet cause averse reactions in others. So, whereas One Who Squeaks can eat Splenda by the spoonfuls and be perfectly fine and dandy, it can make Purpleteacher quite ill. Many people are allergic to different food substances.

I know myself I used to use sugar twin and equal- but then started to get horrendous headaches directly after eating something that I used it in, and the chemical taste that it leaves behind started to make me nauseous. I use splenda in my coffee, because I like the fact that I don't feel it has a weird aftertaste. For baking and other things, I use real sugar, because nothing beats the real thing. If I'm going to eat cake and cookies, I want them to taste like it!

*amber*

I started noticing severe bouts of nausea and dry heaves after consuming Splenda products, along with a super-sweet taste that lingered for hours. I can literally taste the Splenda in things and people think I'm nuts! It makes me violently ill to my stomach when I get more and more of it in my system. I have no other problems with other artifical sweetners.

I wonder if I'm sensitive to chlorine? I have trouble with the local tap water here too and I have had to buy a filter to get rid of the chlorine taste and smell in order for me to drink it. I literally cannot swallow the water here -- it makes me gag. Bottled water is fine, but tap water does not go down my throat unless it is heavily flavored with something.
    FACEBOOK ME --

I did not know this about Splenda. I use it in my coffee and tea. Maybe that is why some mornings I feel so nauseous and cannot even eat. I will definitely do some research on this. Thanks for the info!

I was wondering what the differences were between all of these products.
    Good topic

I love Splenda. I use it in my tea, and coffee, and in some desserts. I've never had a problem with it,

From what I hear, amoung the artificial sweeteners it's the safest that
    we know of. I have PCOS so I need to cut back on sugar where ever
    possible, therefor I never drink it except for in juice. I like diet
    soda just fine, and spenda tastes great in tea and coffee so why waste
    my daily allowance of sugar on drinks?

I'm sorry to hear about your allergy. I know it's tough. I'm that same way with bananas.

I wouldn't recommend sugar free candy to anyone though, especially
    chocolate, because the sorbitol and maltitol in it will do a number on
    your stomach! It's horrible.