Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey All

Okay.. I wrote on Saturday about how petrified I was because I was coming down with something, etc. Its now Tuesday night.....I am FREAKING OUT. I still don't feel good, I have that feverish yucky feeling. My head is all stuffed up, my nose is runny, I keep sneezing and I'm swallowing disgusting crap. You know how it is. But its what my body feels like thats throwing me right off. I'm all hot and sweaty and jus that general "i feel like crap" feeling. I got this overwhelming sense of when I was a kid and didn't feel good and wound up in the bathroom throwing up. And then that cold feeling afterwards with the cloth and my mom soothing me or whatever. .that empty feeling too. Anywya my mind is totally playing games with me. I just don't feel good!!!!!! I can handle the headcold, thats nothing. Its the feverish feeling that I can't stand.

Any comforting words?

Lisa

I think your reaching the peak of your illness...at which time your fever gets to its highest and then it breaks and you start to feel better...Completely normal...the reason you used to v* when you were young from that is because alot of children cannot tolerate fevers with out being sick... You may feel horrible an dfunky, but I really think your ok...I have been through it myself with bad flus and high high fevers thinking the worst but it turned out ok, just rest take a tylenol maybe to bring the fever down...

I know.. this flu is just so weird though. Some people are throwing up with it, some aren't. I just hope its the fever and not some bug mutating itself in my body. I am RARELY fevered.... So i'm not used to how it feels. I hope I feel better tomorrow.........I find when I shut all the lights out it calms me down a bit. I'll probably just go open a window, crawl in bed and freak out for the ENTIRE night until finally when its time to get up I'll have calmed down enough to go to sleep. I can't wait until flu season is over.

Lisa

You will b eokay, I know it really sucks having the flu, and especially whne your not used to being feverish it truely is an awful feeling and makes you paranoid because you feel so sick plus it is a reminder of being sick when younger...I really don't think som ebug is mutating in you, and I also really think you would have v*ed by now if you were going to...is there any calmin gmovies you could watch? I find disney always helps me, and I give myself little goals, like if I can make it for another 20 mintues without being sick i will be ok, and eventually hours pass and you deal I hope your feeling better

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by a bug mutating in you. Viruses and bacteria multiply inside you, but mutations ... I don't think that is going to happen to a bug once it has already invaded your body. It is what it is, and it's caused the symptoms, and now it's dying out.

Also, you're making unnecessary connections between the fever you have now and times that you vomited as a child. You're calling up a fleeting remembrance of an illness from long ago that has nothing to do with now. (how can you remember accurately the feelings of a sickness from childhood anyhow?) Maybe you had a fever with a stomach bug as a child, and now you have a fever with a cold-like virus, and you are associating the two. It's only going to make you worry for no reason.

Thanks for the responses everyone..

Japa: I don't know how I can accurately remember how I felt when I was sick as a child, but its one of those things that I certainly remember. And what I mean anyway, is that whatever I was feeling last night, was giving me almost a "deja vu" of when I was a child. My problem with this phobia stems from being afraid of it as a child so I think thats why when I'm feeling sick, I immediately revert back to childhood. I can't help that I associate the two, much the same as all of us associate any bug with sv, and germs with vomiting, and chicken wiht the possibility of vomiting, public washrooms, etc etc etc etc. We all have a tendency to worry for no reason when it comes to this phobia. Its what makes it so paralyzing.

Thanks again guys, I still feel like crap but I'm managing.

Lisa

Lisa, I hope you are feeling better now...i understand what you mean when you say it brings back memories of being sick as a child....that's freaky i know. But i really hope that you are doing better now.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hi Kate

I'm still feeling like hell, but on the same token, I am drinking lemon tea and stuffing a doughnut in my mouth...

Its so scary when you know something is attacking your body and all you can do is let it run its course. Thats the control freak in me coming out. I hate that I can't constantly control what happens in my body and around me. I really think that if I could let that go I would be a lot less stressed. Its just not that easy when you're faced with it. EFT has been helping a little bit, but again, in the moment I'm not thinking to try my technique. I'm thinking someone please help me!

Thanks for the concern.. It reminds me of why I love this place so much....

Lis

I think that what you're saying is the same thing as what I am saying. A feeling of deja vu is really just a vague, murky kind of feeling (well for all of a second, it feels vivid, but you can never figure out why, hence the vagueness), so just because you are having an association between childhood and now, that doesn't mean it's an accurate one. I was pointing out how our feelings can be misleading. And that even though we may put together two things through a "feeling" of some sort (linking being sicktoday to a time of being sick in childhood), it doesn't mean that those linkages hold any water and that we should pay attention to them now in the present. Edited by: japa