Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Slightly off topic, but...

As I've mentioned before, my boyfriend was very sick last week and, as a
    result, vomited. Now, on another note, he loves milk. Has it all the the
    time, usually with most meals. Since he was ill, however, he says that milk
    tastes weird to him. Tastes sugary sweet.

Now, I understand not wanting to eat or drink something because of an
    association, but I don't think that's what this is. I'm just curious: Does
    anyone have any insight into this? Is it a temporary thing? It's just sort of
    a bummer that he's not able to enjoy something that he used to suck
    down with a vengeance.

So you're saying he thinks milk might be the thing that made him sick?

Actually, I read somewhere that milk creates a coating on the stomach wall that helps to avoid digestion problems and reflux and can also help to alter v*. It might have been wrong.

Then again, it is quite possible the milk might have been out of date? Or it might have been contaminated from sitting in warmth for too long regardless of a lack of any lumpy bits.

Still, I've drunk a glass of lumpy milk before and didn't feel one bit sick. I thought I'd mention that to stop panic. It could have been something he ate with his meal, it could have been a stomach bug or anything.

I mean, I made a homemade banana fritter with a fried honey coating once and got really sick once, although I fail to see how that was what made me ill, I still am nervous about eating both bananas or fried food now. (Especially pluto pups. Tip people, if you don't wanna get sick, NEVER eat a pluto pup from a carnival food stand, they're the most common cause of food-borne illness in the USA and Australia + UK)

Nah, he insinuated that he caught an sv from his coworkers. That's why I
    don't quite understand why it affected the taste of milk for him. To be
    fair, he says he hasn't tried milk for a few days... so it might taste normal
    again to him now. *shrugs* So, no, it was an sv and not fp from the milk.

Thanks for mentioning that about the lumpy milk, though, as it's
    something that's concerned me on occasion.

A sv can sometimes cause temporary lactose intolerance. But that
    usually presents itself with extra d*. Maybe it's some form of
    intolerance though, that's causing him to taste more of the sugars in the
    milk? Really going out on a limb here.......lol!

Milk actually irritates the stomach after you have been V*. I was always told in college that when somone V*, to make sure to avoid dairy products for a few days because it could irritate the stomach.

Teaching, I have also been told the following: If a student is complaining of an upset stomach and drinks milk at lunch, that is a good sign (meaning hunger). If a student complains of an upset stomach after lunch and had milk, then worry a little bit because they could honestly be sick. If the child had an upset stomach before lunch and did not drink milk and was still complaining AFTER lunch, be a little worried because the child might have been trying to protect the stomach. Milk can trigger V* when the stomach is already unsettled and usually the V* will happen with an hour or so after lunch. I have been told thisby nurses and by teachers... just to use as a rule of thumb with kids and their tummies...
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by peachykeen
    A sv can sometimes cause temporary lactose intolerance. But that
    usually presents itself with extra d*. Maybe it's some form of
    intolerance though, that's causing him to taste more of the sugars in the
    milk? Really going out on a limb here.......lol!

I was going to say exactly wahat peachykeen said above. I have have emet my whole life, I loved milk until 4 years ago. I got a somach bug (was not sick - cuz i don't let myself v*... it's not a conscious thing, it just gets blocked... probably makes me sicker ... but that's another toic). Anywasys after this virus thing passed I became very very lactose intolerant, and milk began tasing funny seewt the way your b/f describes it. My doctor said it was a result of the virus destroying a lining of my digestive tract, and that it could regerenerate. But in my case it never did and i am severely intolerant to dairy products. Anyways if you b/f is lactose intolerant he will know pretty easily: stomanch pain, bloating, lots of gas, and very smelly farts, plus the d* allready mentionned. Dont ignore the symptoms like i did... that only makes things worse.