Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how would you rate your emet? Also, one thing I haven't finished learning is the reactions by many. Sure, you can freak out, some people have panic attacks. Has it ever been so bad you cry or piss your pants?¿? (That would REALLY have to be bad).

Also, this is something else I'm studying in emetics, If youwere forcedto heave from one of these, which would you pick?

1: Overeating

2: Alchohol

3: Food poisoning

4: Travel sickness

5: Extreme Nausea

6: Shock (As if in a sudden car crash)

Also, a question for the girls seeing as Amy is at school whilst I'm at College. If you feel scared about being sick, does a hug with a boyfriend or loving husband make you feel better? Because it may just be a way of calming nerves and all.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">i would rate my emet at the moment as being a 7 but at times its been a 10!!! if i had to vomit from any of those things it would be from alcohol cos in my experience you dont have that same nausea as you do with a sv. i prefer to be on my own when i feel sick so a hug off my bf wouldnt help</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

hugs are always comforting no matter what the situation....
    but if im panicking and freaking out.. a hug is usually the last thing i want.
    i just want words, at that point.

Let's see. I'd rate myself like, a 4-7, depending on the day. Mine varies SO much. When I panic attack though, depending on the severity, it can go up very high. A small panic attack, for me, will just bring maybe some nausea or nervousness. A medium one might make me shake, and a large one makes me cry, plug my ears and close my eyes, and possibly run. Lol...

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Right now it is a 5, but that could change to a 10 very quickly. If I was going to puke it would be with alcohol, since that has happened when I was a drinker. When I was drunk andpuke it wouldn't bother me because I was loaded. But since I quit and it will be 7 years, I have to handle this phobia without alcohol.

Wow... Mine varies. Most of the time, it's probably around a 3 or 4. Not
    nearly as high as my average when I was in my early teens. But in my bad
    times, it can be as high as a 9. No peeing my pants, but hyperventilating,
    pacing, crying... Yep.

And if I /had/ to choose, I suppose I'd pick vomiting from alcohol
    because at least I had control over that to some extent. Sorta. And it
    probably wouldn't be as much, or so I'm led to believe.

As far as the hug, it's tough to say. Hugs are always comforting, as an
    above poster said, but it remains to be seen if I'd stay in one spot long
    enough /to/ be hugged what with pacing, running, and/or twitching. :P
    But if I'd want anyone there, it would probably be my boyfriend.

I think my emet is about a 2 at this point. I have been doing very well on my meds and my anxiety is practicaly non-existent. Emet doesn't affect me emuch anymore, but then again I don't have kids or anything, so it might be different when i do. I jut don't have to deal with V* very often now. When i do feel sick, I don't get as panicky anymore either. I am more able to ignoreit until it goes away, which is a huge feat for me.

If I had to choose how to V*, I think shock might be the best option, because it would probably not involve any nausea and would be over with quick.Puking from drinkingSTILL sucks, even if you are drunk when you do it, you still feel like hell all the next day, and laying down and getting the spins knowing it is coming isn't a lot better than being sick with an SV.

I don't want a hug when I feel sick..like Carry said, i just want to be completely left alone. Having people around makes me panic even more.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Oh, I forgot to say that I would rather v* from shock, or possibly alcohol. With shock, I don't think that I would care so much.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

It really depends where I am and what I'm doing- so I would say that I usually range between 2 and 6.

As for what I would rather get sick from- I can't believe so many people picked alcohol! That would be at the bottom of my list- it gives me the spins, a headache- not to mention alcohol will make me vomit multiple times as opposed to just once. So, instead of JUST getting nauseous, you get that PLUS the added bonus of feeling spinny/shakey/icky.

I guess I would go with travel sickness, because I have most experience with it.

When I am sick, I would rather be alone so I can look gross and curl up in nasty pajamas on the bed or couch. Although, my current boyfriend is great (he's a nurse), so I don't mind him around if I'm nauseous. But if I'm going to actually vomit, I'd rather be by myself.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'd say I'm between 5 and 8 depending on the day really. I'd most rather V* from a shock or something because then you wouldn't get hours of nausea and panicking before anything happened and you probably wouldn't care. I wouldn't like to be drunk. Of course I wouldn't like to be in a shocking situation lol but if I had to pick one. As for hugs? If I'm really panicking it's a no go, if I've just been panicking then yes please!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I would say my emet would vary between 4 and 10. It just depends on how I feel that day. Today I would say I'm a 5. I feel like today is a good day, but I just ate so after I eat, I get anxious for a little bit.

I would rather v* from shock, because you probably wouldn't have time to think about it.

And as for a hug, I don't think that would help at all, because I would rather not be touched, talked toor looked at when I feel n*.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine would probably be an 8.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rough

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how would you rate your emet? Also, one thing I haven't finished learning is the reactions by many. Sure, you can freak out, some people have panic attacks. Has it ever been so bad you cry or piss your pants?¿? (That would REALLY have to be bad).

Also, this is something else I'm studying in emetics, If youwere forcedto heave from one of these, which would you pick?

Also, a question for the girls seeing as Amy is at school whilst I'm at College. If you feel scared about being sick, does a hug with a boyfriend or loving husband make you feel better? Because it may just be a way of calming nerves and all.

I would rate mine around a 4-7ish, depending on the circumstances. I have come a long way in the last couple of months with other's V* --- but I am still a total phobe with dealing with V* myself. I have also noticed that I panic more when I am around certain people, such as family. At school, I feel much safer and can handle it better than I can anywhere else.

If I had to V* out of those situations, I would say that doing it out of shock (#6) would be first. I would have less time to think about it to get all nervous. I would pick overeating next because at least I would know the EXACT cause of why I was getting sick and how to prevent it from happening for that reason again in the future.

I tend to talk on the phone when I am feeling panicy or nauseated. It comforts me, especially since I don't have any family support when I'm sick. I like to know there is"someone on the other end of the line" - since I do not have the ability to be around people I trust. When I was in college, I wanted someone with me when I felt sick-sick-sick. I am terrified of choking and not being able to breathe.Edited by: purpleteacher
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I've tossed my cookies from all of these except alcohol. These next sentances belong in the experiences section, but what the heck. Just a warning on this though, it does tell you what actually happened, and how I felt so you might not feel comfortable reading it.

Firstly, the one that sparked my emetophobia, was Salmonellosis food poisoning. That was the worst I've ever had. I overate lots before that because the tablets my parents gave me gave me a massive appetite (I wasnt eating properly so they put me on something) and I remember one day I gluttoned out at lunchtime, one minute later I was making the 6 second dash up the hall. That wasn't so bad, no nausea preceeded it, it was over in seconds although I hated the suffocation (it all came out in one, not in multiple heaves)

Travel sickness was pretty bad, sitting on a coach for 3 hours while some stupid damn idiotin frontme kept burping and letting out putrid farts. I had been feeling tired and sick from watching the trees go past. Then he went a bit too far, I got pissed off and hurled at the back of his seat.

Extreme nausea so far never made me sick unless it was a virus. Shock yes, I was feeling full and quesy one day, about to head to dads house. Him and my stepdad were arguing (I've never been in a violent situation, so this was pretty scary too) and suddenly my stepdad had begun punching my dad in the face while he was on the ground, I was traumitised, and looked around for a weapon to pry him off, then I heard my dad scream like I've never heard him scream before. He may not be a very nice father, but it was so... horrible either way. I got freaked out and just heaved on the spot. That was a good thing, it directed the attention of my stepdad away from dad for a moment long enough for a bulky friend of mine to pull him off.

Being a stupid person (Yes I'm not actually that smart, I know pi to 48 decimal placesbut memory is not knowledge) I rate myself 4 most days. But if I was in poor Donna1216's situation and ate bad turkey, it would rocket up to 10)

Hey Jay,

I would rate myself an 8, steadily most of the time. I dont talk about my fear much. I feel like verbalizing when I am feeling nauseated will make it a fact. I think this is why my level of fear stays constant.

I think I would like to (if I had to) be sick from shock. Then most likely I wouldnt be focusing on the sickness, more on what was going on that brought on the shock.

I cant stand to be hugged when I am feeling nauseated. It makes me feel enclosed and trapped. Most of the time I just want to be alone. But in those rare instances, it is nice to just have my back rubbed softly.

--Kim

I'm a pretty steady 7-8.
    It's weird though, because while I panic at least mildly about it EVERY DAY, I still eat too much sometimes, go out to eat, eat at picnics, order chicken, have no problems in doctor's offices, etc.

I guess I'd rather vomit from alcohol if I HAD to choose.

As far as hugs go, if I'm TRULY sick (I had salmonella last summer-never vomited though, my emet is too strong), then I just want to be alone. I don't want to be COMPLETELY alone in the house though-I fear that I would pass out from anxiety and choke or something.

However, if it's just a panic attack and I KNOW it, my husband is wonderful with comfort and distraction.

Yeah. Ok so far, I guess a hug isn't so much of a good idea, I can understand that. But one thing that most people want is to be alone. It freaks me out more to be alone, it sucks getting up at 3am feeling sick. I want to be alone but I want someone else to be around.

Call me stupid, but what exactly is a panic attack? I don't know if I've ever had one. In my thoughts, it's a kind of big freakout, a seizure sort of thing.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how would you rate your
    emet? Also, one thing I haven't finished learning is the reactions by
    many. Sure, you can freak out, some people have panic attacks. Has it
    ever been so bad you cry or piss your pants?¿? (That would REALLY have
    to be bad).
    While having a pannic attack I can become quite destressed I will normally cry sometimes self harm and lash out if someone speak to me as if im just being stupid.

Id probably have to say 6,as its done from nothing that I have injested and isnt always doubled with with neasuea.</span>

Also, a question for the girls seeing as Amy is at school whilst I'm
    at College. If you feel scared about being sick, does a hug with a
    boyfriend or loving husband make you feel better? Because it may just
    be a way of calming nerves and all.
    A hug can be comforting if im not feeling overly bad as then I do just personally want to be alone.

So all in all id rate my emet day to day right now 8 and mostly at night 9-10.
    <br style="font-weight: bold;">Call me stupid, but what exactly is a panic attack? I don't know if
    I've ever had one. In my thoughts, it's a kind of big freakout, a
    seizure sort of thing.

</span><h3><ul>[*]raging heartbeat [*]difficulty breathing, feeling as though you 'can't get enough air [*]terror that is almost paralyzing[*]nervous, shaking, stress[*]heart
    palpitation, feeling of dread[*]
    dizziness, lightheadedness or nausea [*]trembling, sweating, shaking [*]choking, chest pains, distress[*]fear, fright, afraid, anxious[*]hot
    flashes, or sudden chills [*]tingling in fingers or toes ('pins and needles') [*]fearful that you're going to go crazy or are about to die</font></font>[/list]
    The above information is some of the side affects from a pannic attack, Also its strange to hear of an emet that actually hasnt had a pannic attack,something new to me.</span></span></span></span></h3>xVx
    <h3>
    </span></span></span>
    <ul>

</font>[/list]
    </font>
    </font></font></h3>

hmm... most of the time, mine's not that bad. Only when I'm in a situation where I'm exposed to someone sick, or I feel bad myself, does it get worse. Like my sister had a sv last month, I was so freaked out. So mine can really range from like 2-8 or so lol. Yeah I cry if I'm really scared, but I cry over a lot of things lol. and I've self-harmed too... it's calming at the time. I'd have to pick drinking to be the thing to get sick from... though, I've never been drunk before.. just from what I've heard from people, that when you're drunk you're not really thinking, so therefore if I was drunk maybe I wouldn't really be thinking about being scared of v*? All those other things sound horrible (but then again, so does getting drunk - I have heard it's fun till the sickness hits though). And, hugs don't make me feel better... like most people here, I just want to be left alone.. though the thought of being hugged by a significant other when just panicing sounds incredibly nice...

I would rate mine to be 3-7 because as of now, I'm just having so many friendship and stuff problems and not to mention I have so much schoolwork that I dont have time to think of anything. It varies like everyone else said. I used to be much much worse but after finding this site one-two years ago it has improved greatly.

When I'm not feeling well, I dont want anyone to hug me. Maybe if I had a cold, I'd want my mommy or to cuddle my sister lol. (she's hugable =D), butif I felt sick as in n* then I want to bealone. Alone, far, far from people. People make my nerves worse.

I can't choose which I'd perfer. &gt;&lt;
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I have to say my emet is a 5-8 as of lately it use to be a 3-5 but just cause i have been thinking about it a lot recently. If I had to choose I would have to choose the shock, because I absolutely HATE the nausea and i rather get it overwith .. like getting in a crash not expecting it and not having a panic attack but have it be over in a matter of seconds without feeling nauseous at alll..would be great.and I need to be alone... I cant stand havung anyone around when im sick.
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

Hmm, how come you guys can't stand anyone being around when you're sick? Is it embarrassment? If I'm with schoolfriends, it makes me feel better, they laugh at people who vomit, although it may feel bad for me, I try to laugh at the sound too.

If I'm with Amy, I tend to act the worst, crying or sobbing and shaking, I want someone with me at my side, just to say something comforting. I just sort of want someone to know, to be there, to be able to help if anything goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rough

Hmm, how come you guys can't stand anyone being around when you're sick? Is it embarrassment? If I'm with schoolfriends, it makes me feel better, they laugh at people who vomit, although it may feel bad for me, I try to laugh at the sound too.

If I'm with Amy, I tend to act the worst, crying or sobbing and shaking, I want someone with me at my side, just to say something comforting. I just sort of want someone to know, to be there, to be able to help if anything goes wrong.

I don't want someone around me when I actually vomit because I just want to get it over with, and for some reason having someone there makes me believe it may prolong the process (which I know isn't true- but I think if someone is there I may hold on and try to prevent it longer). I also realize how completely gross I am at that particular moment, and would rather it remain private. It may possible also be because I, at the moment, can't stand to be around someone when they are sick, and don't want to afflict that on anyone else. I don't particularly want anyone around me when I have a bowel moment either, and I consider the two to be similar (just opposite ends, lol)

I don't mind having someone around me if I feel sick- but I would rather proceed to the bathroom on my own when the vomitting begins. I don't fear vomitting myself, and don't perceive myself to be in any danger when it actually occurs.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

My Emet is probably anywhere from a 7-10 on any given day. Sometimes it's worse then others. If I was going to V* then I'd probably want to do it due to alcohol because I hear that it isn't as bad when you are drunk...but I don't get drunk so I don't know.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

most typical days my emet is about a 5. if somebody around me is sick, it skyrockets to a 10! and if i had to v* from anything i'd want it to be alcohol. this way i would have very little idea of what is actually going on. and i've seen soo many of my friends v* from drinking too much and i guess i've sort of gotten used to being around it.
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I might not be as bad as I thought. It's probably from watching videos of it, but I had a friend vomit a few times near me this morning. It does sort of send a tingle up my spine butI don't panic. I don't get worried about breathing it in either. What does freak me out a little bit, is when I'm in the toilets, and someone does something, er nasty and I don't like breathing it in, I get paranoid of breathing in airborne Shigella or Salmonella.

As mentioned above though, I tend to want someone nearby if I'm sick, although I don't know why, althoughI wouldn't prefer it if it was a bowel movement.

Well, you guys would probably have freaked out at what happened to me last night. My mom, who is a nurse and should know better, had a bad bout of pneumonia. She was coughing, sneezing and spitting all day. What was horrible was that she was the one who cooked our dinner. Making veal. I was constantly telling her that Ken (stepdad) would do it but she insisted.

I didn't touch it, which was a good thing, although my little brother now has cold symptoms and my stepdad took the day off work. I'm not too worried about getting it, ever sinced I watched and became obsessed with Bad Santa the movie, I started being just like him, not giving a crap about anything.

DISCLAIMER: This next sentance contains symptoms of a particular strain of pneumonia that involves v*.

I was with a friend who had pneumonia, the poor guy was v* phlegm from his lungs every second. It lasted 2 weeks, now that mom is doing just that, I got a little worried.

well the reason I don't like to be around people when I'm feeling sick is because they tend to make it worse... I don't think I've ever been around anyone who's helped me feel better... like, if I'm around someone and I mention I feel bad (which I've quit doing), and the person asks, "Do you feel like you're going to throw up?" that just makes me feel more scared... and I feel self concious when I'm sick! I want to just lie around and allow myself to look disgusting and freak out as much as I need to feel better, without anyone around judging my looks or behavior at the time.

I need to be alone, felt this way when the phobia started. I don't want people to see me freak out when I feel sick, I don't want them to see me or hear me, I don't want people touching me. When this started for me I did things to myself, I would have panic attacks because of feeling sick at school and ended up doing something, the classmates saw this and i will never live that down. To embarrassed to be around anyone.
    What I have done in the past has stayed there, I no longer hurt myself in any way. I guess I out grew it, thank god!!

I'd say I'm a 10 and I couldn't pick because I wouldn't want to do it no matter what! I can't even think about it without panicking.

I HATE THIS

Kathleen [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]