Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OMG--I was just having lunch at my husband's restaurant & I ordered a turkey sandwich, took a big bite, swallowed it and then thought it tasted funny (I usually smell ALL my food before I eat it, but Aidan was on my lap and so I couldn't), so I took the bread off, smelled it and it SMELLED BAD, I gave some to husband, he tasted it and SPIT IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ate ROTTEN turkey and now I am FREAKING OUT, I left so mad, my husband is MAD AT ME ABOUT IT, like I somehow had something to do with anything, or like I should have just eaten the whole thing and kept my mouth shut and not had anything un-positive to say about his restaurant. He keeps saying that I will be fine and that I am blowing it out of proportion!! I ate ROTTEN turkey, how could I not get sick,please tell me!!!

Just calm down Donna. I hope you will be ok. Your husband should not be mad at you as you told him about the turkey. He should be looking after you as you ate it at his restaurant!

Just drink lots of water. How long ago did you eat it? Was it pink in colour or just smelt funny? My son once put chicken burgers in the microwave for him and his sister. 1. they should have been put in the oven and 2. they said the burgers were still cold inside!!!!! They were both fine with no side effects-thank god. I was so angry with him, i was scared all that day.

How are you feeling hun?

[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    Big hugs
    Fifi
    xxxxx

Take a deep breath Donna. Ok, if it was rotten turkey, since you only took 1 bite, I'm sure it won't be as bad as you are building it up to be. It would take alot more than 1 bite to make you v*. It's possible you will get d* with it instead of v*. What is more upseting is the way your hubby reacted. This is food he is preparing & serving at his own restaurant and his reaction was to relax about it??? What if a paying customer got the turkey and complained about it, I'm sure he would have been more sympathetic to them then he was to you. If you are scared, which, honestly, I would be too, take some pepto or mylanta, just to help prepare the tummy & intestines for what is coming. I hope you don't get sick from it, but, on the bright side, if you should possibly v*, at least you know why, instead of playing the "waiting" game w/ a sv. Keep us posted.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Donna, I honestly don't think one bite is going to make you sick.....really i think that if you only had one bite...you should be fine. I know that is sucks anyway and you will be thinking about it for a while...and that will probably give you alot of anxiety....but just try not to think about it...i know that's a dumb thing to say....but really in all reality i think that only one bite will not make you sick. It sucks that your husband got mad at you about that....i would have been very upset too. He should understand why you go so upset...shame on him!!!!!
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Donna - one time my husband ate the wrong lunch. instead of the sandwich i'd packed him that morning, he ate a sandwich that had been in the trunk of his car for AT LEAST A WEEK, and it had not been cold out that week. We spent the day anticipating him getting sick, and he didn't.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

most immune systems can tolerate a certain amount of spoilage.
    i think if you were 7 years old, it may be different.

About 2 years ago, i went to a resturant with my family, and my sister and cousin both ordered these turkey dinosaur things. They each ate about 4 bites before realising that they hadnt been cooked at all, they were so pink they were almost red! and both of them were absolutely fine! nothing happened to them at all! Just drink plenty of water and i know its hard but try and relax! i really think you will be fine, i dont believe one bite is enough to make somebody ill!
    x abbie x

I hope not, but it was a LARGE bite of the turkey!! It's cold cut type turkey, which I thought would be SAFE!!! I am never eating there again, even if I don't get sick! Greg took the sandwich to the general manager and he had to smell it twice to smell the "badness" and said it was just starting to go bad--I disagree, if my husband spit it out, it had to be bad, he eats anything. I hate this waiting. I want to go shopping, but I am afraid to go out in case I get sick!!

i dont think you'll get sick..

but regardless..
    you should sue.
    get some money out of your anxiety.

this may be bad advice, but I remember an emet once saying if she think sshe has had food poisoning she takes a laxative because it doesnt allow your body to absorb the food and it just passes in d*...

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee
    this may be bad advice, but I remember an emet once saying if she think sshe has had food poisoning she takes a laxative because it doesnt allow your body to absorb the food and it just passes in d*...

This is exactly what I'd do!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I took a Reglan, which passes the food through the digestive tract faster. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

My husband ate some deli turkey that had been in the refrigerator for about 2 1/2 weeks once. It smelled horrible, it was obvious it was bad, but he was so hungry and he put so much mustard on his sandwich that he didn't notice. He ate the entire thing! I will say that he didn't feel well that night, but he never did v* (and he doesn't care about v* - in fact, he told me he wished he would just so he would feel better). I'm sure you will be ok since it was just one bite.

Quote Originally Posted by donna1216
    I hope not, but it was a LARGE bite of the turkey!! It's cold cut type turkey, which I thought would be SAFE!!! I am never eating there again, even if I don't get sick! Greg took the sandwich to the general manager and he had to smell it twice to smell the "badness" and said it was just starting to go bad--I disagree, if my husband spit it out, it had to be bad, he eats anything. I hate this waiting. I want to go shopping, but I am afraid to go out in case I get sick!!

"Starting to go bad"? WTF!!! Contact the manager ABOVE him and complain. If it tasted bad and the boss said it was starting to go bad and NO ONE DID ANYTHING, then seriously complain-complain-complain. That place needs some inspection and now, especially before someone else gets really sick.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

My little brother ate a Turkey with slime on it. The turkey smelled repulsive. He was freaked out too but he was fine. I don't think Turkey is as high risk as chicken or beef.

Purpleteacher says:

"Starting to go bad"? WTF!!! Contact the manager ABOVE him and complain. If it tasted bad and the boss said it was starting to go bad and NO ONE DID ANYTHING, then seriously complain-complain-complain. That place needs some inspection and now, especially before someone else gets really sick.

Do that, we sued Coles Myer for bad Turkey and Custard Tarts

I don't think one bite is going to make you sick. Although, I would be freaking out to. You may just have a sore stomach or some d* at worst, but I honestly think you will be fine.

That is very interesting about the laxative thing!!!!

Sorry for the large font, but just want to give some more reassurance.

Gecko says:
    <DIR>

Hey it's Jay's brother here, just wanted to reassure you that its not that easy to get sick from turkey. Im saying because one day i ate some bought that day from coles and only just realised after it stunk and had an orange based slime around it. It also had brown bits on it.</DIR>

Gecko says:

I ate a fair amount too and was fine. It was two whole sandwiches.

That makes me feel a little better. WHat makes me maddest is that this is a casual upscale dining establishment, and it is the 2nd time I have gotten BAD meat on a sandwich there!!! I'm still nervous!! WHat makes me nervous is that people get FP from food that doesn't even taste/smell bad and get deathly ill, my food SMELLED and TASTED bad, I just keep thinking that!! It sucks. I wish it was tomorrow then I will breathe easier.

Actually, I have read that most times when food smells or tastes bad it is the kind of bacteria on it that doesnt make you sick...its the ones where you dont really know your eating something bad that will get you...

It's the ones where you don't know if it's bad...GREAT...LoL I'm already overly paranoid about food! Anyway I think you'll be fine. My dad will eat ANYTHING that's in the fridge and he hasn't been sick with V*ing in YEARS. I don't think one bite will do anything to you...probably just some D*....You should be fine!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Hey Its gecko here agin Jays brother. Hope this helps. You said you only took one biteand im pretty sure that in order to get sick from food poisoning the food bacteria must get into you intestines and in order to do so there must be ALOT of food to carry it down there and protect it from your stomache otherwise the stomache acid will kill ANYTHING bad. Besides your agrown adult with an imune system as strong asit will ever be,so dw you'll be fine [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Edited by: gecko

I've never heard of anyone vomiting from turkey either, have you? I ate some bad turkey once and it gave me diarrhea, but I never got sick. Same thing with bacon. I think it's chicken you really have to look out for, and REALLY undercooked beef.

Oh Donna I just have to say that I am so sorry you are having such a rough time lately. I groaned when I saw another post from you that something ELSE had gone wrong!

And, this is just me, but doesn't turkey always have a "bad" smell? LOL the day after Thanksgiving last year I pulled out the leftovers from the fridge, took the lid off, and my 7 year old said, "who farted?" LOL. Maybeyour turkeywas just stinky.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Yes, it was just one big bite. Your body can take care of that without getting sick.

How are you today?
    x abbie x

How are you doing, Donna??
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof3

LOL the day after Thanksgiving last year I pulled out the leftovers from the fridge, took the lid off, and my 7 year old said, "who farted?" LOL. Maybeyour turkeywas just stinky.

LOL!!!! I love the things little kids say
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

How are you doing today?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I am ok!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!! THANKS EVERYONE, you made me feel better!!!!

I got here a bit late Donna, but YAY! I'm so glad you're ok! People often eat old food and are absolutely fine, maybe the smell and taste had just gotten a little stronger in it's old age? Maybe it was just weird turkey? Who knows! I ate bacon that smelled like fish a few weeks ago...so gross! But it was fresh, and I didn't have any ill effects, so yeah. Depends on the company that packs it, maybe. Iftheturkeywas left out in the sun for 5 hours, on the other hand, I wouldn't eat it if someone offered me a million dollars...well...lol, maybe if I was a bit less emetophobic!

LOL, mommyof3!! That cracked me up!I agree with mjewell, kids are such a hoot when they come out with things like that!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"