Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: pepto bismal.

hey everyone.
    i was just wondering whether any of you had ever taken pepto bismal to relieve nausea, or any similar symptoms?
    I myself have never tried the stuff, but would be interested to know who had.
    Thankies!
    Em

I've taken it a lot. It helps me out. Mostly for stomach aches, upset stomach, indigestion, nausea. If I have d*, I usually take Imodium. If you do take it, the next time you go #2, it might be a black/dark brown color. So, don't freak out. That's happened to me before. What's bothering you? I think it works pretty good.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I used to be addicted to the stuff. I took it every single time I had bad stomach problems at night. The taste isn't pleasant and it made my tongue change to a funny color, but it worked (most of the time).
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well I don't know about it much any more, but I used to take it all
    the time, and someone posted on here an all about vomit site that
    was good for us to read, and it said it can help prevent that. But what
    did you want to take it for??
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pepto bismol is bad bad news.
    it isnt good for your body AT ALL.
    find other ways to relieve your problems.

my mother in law told me it made her tounge black one time and also ive tired it and it didnt work[img]smileys/smilies_29.gif[/img]

It discolors your tongue and stool, but that's not dangerous, it's just the bismuth reacting with bacteria.

I've used Pepto for mild diarrhea, but I wouldn't trust it for nausea.

Personally, when my mother made me take it when I was younger. (This was before anyone knew the danger of giving Pepto regular to children). The liquid used to make me v*. But she swears that it actually made me stop v* even though I would lose most of the first dose. I can't swallow liquid medication period. I use Imodium caplets when those other issues arise.

Quote Originally Posted by liz28
    pepto bismol is bad bad news.
    it isnt good for your body AT ALL.
    find other ways to relieve your problems.

why?

http://www.pepto-bismol.com/faqs.shtml

Well theres there site, gives you info FQA's..

I dont take it and havent but yes any medication for to long unless perscribed will be bad for your system as it it may end up loosing its affect..

Hope this helps

xVx

While my friends in public school were buying pop and chips I was buying pepto bismal like it was going out of style. At times I would drink a small bottle and one of the symptoms of taking too much wasmy ears would ring really bad. Then they came out with the chewables. I caught the flu, took the pepto and was sick, so it didn't prevent me from being sick. To this day I can not stomach the smell of the stuff.

Pepto was my savior for a long time. I was addicted to it taking at least one dose a night..it was horrible.

I LOVE the taste and the smell...but I am a wintergreen fan. I
    only take it now and days if i am REALLY nauseas...most of the time if
    I sniff the stuff it calms my nerves.

It does discolor your toung and stool some times...and you have to eb
    careful..at least I did...because it tenstd to bind you up so you cant
    have bowel movements!

I took it a couple of weeks ago because i really felt liek I woudl
    throw up..it solved that problem but two days later it didnt want to
    leave my system and I was constipated for two days!!

And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

I use it a lot. Anytime I feel n* I use it, and it works....it might just be a mental thing though.....but whatever works. Anyway, I use the pill form (not chewables), so no yucky taste. It seems to work for me......

I think pepto bismol is fine as long as you don't over do it....it will turn your stools darker color but that's ok...i think it's good for an upset stomach and such as that...i have taken it many times before and it won't hurt you unless you go over board. It might consitpate you like someone else said...but that's probably if you drink the whole bottle or something...i think it's fine to take on occasion.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I think it will help to relieve minor stomach irritation, but I don't know about full blown nausea. I have seen it not work with full blown nausea. Very pink, gross.. eww..[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    \"This too shall pass\"

it seems that most of you are taking it to relieve n* either associated by anxiety or associated with indigestion problems..

in those cases..
    ginger tea works far better,
    and if you are actually ill. like SERIOUSLY ill (as most of you never are)..
    the pepto wont keep you from v*ing.

The pepto may settle your stomach down but like liz28 stated it won't keep you from vomiting. You are better off with gravol or bonamine or drinking some ginger tea, if you can't stomach that try chamomile tea. I think it depends on the person, what works for me may not work for you.

I love Pepto and don't leave home without it! I also asked my doctor once if it was bad to take too much and he said not really because it's used to coat the stomach....it does consipate you though sometimes. I take it mostly for n* and it usually does the trick for me. I take the caplets though because the chewable pills and the liquid stuff is nasty!

I think it works differently for everyone, but for me it's been nothing but good. Once and a while I need a few doses to calm my stomach but it works. Good Luck!

I used to take it ALL the time for stomach pains when I was little. My parents would feed it to me any time I said my stomach hurt. Now they are finding out that it's bad for children to use the regular? LoL I'm glad I got through that okay. I stopped using it when I was like around 10 and I haven't had it since. My sister tried to get me to take some last week when my stomach was off but I wouldn't take it. I'm always scared to take it cause I always think "What if it reacts badly with my stomach and makes me V*?" I don't know I'm weird like that.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!