Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi guys, just a sort of semi-off-topic discussion. What other phobias do you have?

Me at the age of 17, Used to fear dogs but that's worn off. I have-

Emetophobiac = The worst

Arachnophobiac = I can hold spiders, but it really scares the crap out of me discovering a massive 90mm bush huntsman on my wall at 9pm before going to bed. They rocket along it like Ben Johnson on steroids.

Claustrophobiac = I had to go under the house the other day, I simply would not crawl through the 40 x 50 cm hole.

I guess the only other things I fear are my stepdad when he's angry, and getting thrown out the 80th story window.

Don't know if there's a name for it, but I have a serious phobia of scorpions!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

scorpion-phobia. Hmm, you didn't mention fear of spiders. Hehe, how odd, you don't mind holding a massive tarantula, yet scorpions are just [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I have other phobia's but they are linked to this phobia.
    Fear of planes and trains, not because they may crash but because if I feel sick I will panic and I can get out.
    Same goes with crowds in theatres or even shopping malls etc, I feel sick and panic, don't want other people to see me going through this disturbing action.
    Fear of being in a bad car accident and the attendents having to put the tube down my throat, will be sick and freak out.
    Fear with any emergency procedures, having to be rushed to surgery and puking after waking up, because there was food in my gut.
    Being bit by an animal like a dog and getting sick.
    Fear of having a cut and infection sets in, put on pills that make me sick. I lost a friend to that flesh eating disease.
    The list goes on... all associated with this phobia; fear of being sick

Hi everyone,

Same as ontari girl my emet phobia is spreading to many aes of my life. i hate public transportation because i have seen people sick on te bus and train. I don't like and generally avoid bars or place people drik alcohol (even worried about people drinkingtoo much at my wedding this fall...). I wonder if my emetohphba is not becoming agoraphobia because i don't like going to class, and even work is a challenge for a few months of the year (november to march-ish). I also avoid walking on busy streets where i can see v* on the sidewalk more days than not... I am afraid of people who cough, hick-up or burp, this gives me a panicky feeling in my stomach, and if i see any other reason to think things are going to deteriorate into v* i quickly move to having a chocking feeling in my throat and a sick feeling in my gut. the stress from feeling like that can then last up tp 2 days.

I'm new here so I don't know if i am an extreme case of if anyone else is like this, but at this time of the winter i just feel like i'm going crazy because i can go from feeling fine to totally not coping in a metter of minutes.

I have a phobia of spiders I cant look at them whatever their size. I scream for someone to get it and get hot, pupils dilate, sweaty and generally panicked.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rough
    scorpion-phobia. Hmm, you didn't mention fear of spiders. Hehe, how odd, you don't mind holding a massive tarantula, yet scorpions are just [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I don't like spiders, but certainly don't have a phobia of them, but my daughter does. She's convinced that if I kill one in her room, the spider's family and friends will all come in and attack her!! Poor thing! Well, scorpions terrify me, and I live in Arizona!! I actually have nightmares that scorpions are stuck in my carpet and I can't walk on it becasue of them. I had a dream the other night that I went to a friend's house, and she had scorpions in her bathroom. uughh!!!!!! *shudders*
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Bugs are my other phobia. Some, I just greatly dislike, but most are aphobia for me. Oh and germs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have Cnidophobia, which is a fear of stringIt's very debilitating- can't wear shoes, sew, or appreciate a good arts and crafts project.

Jus' funning. I don't think I would have anything that would qualify as a phobia other than emetophobia. I love spiders, snakes, scorpions, etc- my brother actually used to have a tarantula named Maury, and a scorpion named Handyman (because he was missing 2 legs- so he was Handyman the Handicapped Scorpion).

I don't particularly LIKE many things (places, or people), but I don't think its severe enough to qualify as a phobia.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along side my emet I fear germs I guess its closly linked.

I wouldn't say I fear spiders as such but I do not like them - (I class a fear as constently dominating my thoughts).

for although, I have friends who fear snakes - but because snakes are not something they have to face (or ever have a chance of facing) daily I can't class it as a fear in the same way.

For us emets - illness is a constant threat - for those who fear snakes on an island with none it's not really the same thing...does that make sense [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

Chloe- the thing is that people who have extreme phobias of snakes, spiders, etc. DO think they are at a constant risk. That even though spiders and snakes are mostly outdoor phenomena, and may not even be prevalent in their area- that somehow one will sneak in somewhere. That everytime they feel a little tickle at the base of their neck or on their legs it's the creepy-crawly that they are scared of.

That's part of the irrationality of a phobia- once you have one to an extreme, no matter WHAT it actually is, you will see it everywhere.

*amber*

Hi All!

Just wrote this in another forum and then I read this one...so I will copy and paste it in here.

"I am interested to see how many of you have difficulties Claustrophobia? If I can't control a situation a get the same anxiety as I do when I feel sick. It gets so bad sometimes I can't even manage if I get stuck in traffic...and an airplane....FORGET IT!! I start to panic. I an wondering if there is a connection... control to this and other phobias??"

Any thoughts??
    Smile and someone will smile back!

Spiders, and especially germs. My hands are a bit chapped. A little OCD I guess, he he, I wash frequently and don't touch my food or face unless I'm sure my hands are clean.The germ thing is from fear of being sick. I've never liked spiders. They freak me out.

I have a fear of blood. I remember when I was about 10 and my teacher dropped a pair of scissors on her foot. There was blood everywhere and I actually passed out.

I also have a fear of flies, but this is a recent fear and I have a good reason for it. A couple of summer's ago my daughter complained that there were lots of flies in her bedroom. There were about 10.This was strange but I assumed they had just come through the open window as it was a very hot day. I got rid of them and thought no more about it. The next day we went out for the morning. When we returned I went upstairs to put something in my daughter's room. As I opened the door I heared a loud buzzing noise. I froze as I saw hundreds, if not thousands (even thousands may be an understatement!) of flies. It was like a scene from a horror movie. When I eventually managed to breathe again I called my dad who came round straight away. It eneded up there was a dead bird stuck in the chimney in my daughter's room. This had attracted the flies and they had laid hundreds of eggs which had hatched. My dad used a spray to get rid of them. The whole floor was covered with dead flies. I would not let my daughter sleep in her room for a few days. I had to scrub everywhere first and got chimney bags fitted in every single fireplace.

i have a severe caulrophobia...fear of clowns... no one really knows why, i never had a traumatizing experience with one that i nor my parents can remember. i just cannot look at them or be anywhere near them. the sight of them makes me feel faint and dizzy. i am so repulsed by them! i wonder why?

\"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Ontario girl, I kinda feel the same as you.......I dont really have any other phobias, just anything that relates to v*!!!

I dont like public transport, shopping malls, plane travel etc, anywhere where there are lots of people in close proximity, however rationale kinda kicks in and I know I have to do these things so I just do. Howeverthe minute I am somewhere and there is a v* incident I wont do it again for sometime.

I have struggled this winterat work, I work in an office where there are about 49 ish people, each time one gets sickI quiz them (they think Im caring!) then I will avoid the toilets or anywhere they have been for several days!! Luckily as a managerI have different responisbilities which kinda lets me get away with this. I have started coming home for lunch just so I dont have to use the work tiolets, I know its ridiclulous but Im happier that way!!!

Laney

I'm afraid of Clowns...totally afraid of them. It might be because when I was like 7 I saw the movie IT by Stephen King. It may be for other reasons, but when I see a clown I like totally flip out.

I don't mind spiders, I know there is one in this apartment somewhere but it doesn't bother me. I have a fear of minges (Sp?) You know those little flying bugs that LOOK like misquitos but aren't them. Last summer I had like an infestation of them in my apartment. I don't know HOW they got in but they were everywhere! I was constantly swatting them and now when I see one I just freak.

I'm a little claustraphobic, I don't LIKE riding in elevators but I'll do it anyway. I remember once when I was in like 6th grade my sister dared me to go into a locker in the locker room cause she was so sure that I'd fit. I said FINE as LONG as she didn't shut the door. Well she slammed it shut as soon as I got in there and the door got STUCK! I freaked the hell out...I'll never do THAT again.

Like most of you I have lots of phobias that are associated with Emetophobia. I'm also afraid of the number 13, and the number 3. Don't ask me why I have NO idea where that came from. I always have to do everything in twos. Two locks on my door, I eat things in 2's I buy things in 2's...I'm weird.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I don't really have many other phobias, besides emet. In fact, I don't even know if this next fear/phobia qualifies as a phobia! But I am so afraid of sticking things in my body. Pills are a no-go, so I have to take chewable (which is getting trickier and trickier as i'm fifteen) and no contacts, etc. etc. I just can't do it, and I get so afraid when I try to! It might possibly relate a little bit to emet though, as when I was smaller my mom swallowed a small piece of glass by mistake and it made her bleed a little bit, and for the next six months I was constantly afraid that I would swallow things like AA batteries.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Cnidophobia, the fear of string.

Forgive me for bringing it up again, but because I'm sort of studying and into many different phobias and looking at reactions, etc, could you tell me what exactly it is that makes it scary? Just PM me if you don't want everyone else to see.

Then again, it's not like someone in my high school, he had a fear of dust, so on a friday afternoon in the hot dusty history room, he would not go in, resulting in many days of going home early. Of course, I'm not bringing this up for laughter or anything, as I remember one person on this site, I forgot the name and catagory, admitted to her boss that she had emet, and they joked about it to her, which wasn't that fair.

Also

"I always have to do everything in twos. Two locks on my door, I eat things in 2's I buy things in 2's...I'm weird." -Monica

You're not weird, that sounds like a bit of obsessive compulsive disorder, I have it too. Although I continue repetitive rituals each day, I forget most in particular. Quite a lot of people have it, but having to do everything in twos isn't so bad, some people

Oh, I have mild OCD also. I have various small rituals, mostly at night, and I also eat things in twos. Something about even numbers...

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Huntsman spiders are gigantic and lovely, but they're too fast for me.
    I have some similar species around here, and I love them to death,
    except when they pop up in really weird places (IN MY BATH TOWEL ARRGH)
    or race across the floor. My brother actually woke up with one on his
    face once. Just a little disconcerting.[img]smileys/smilies_31.gif[/img]

As for insects and other crawlies, I love them too. I'll pick up just about anything with six (or eight) legs.

I don't have any other clinical phobias. Certain things make me very
    anxious (social interaction, fire/heat/ovens, yelling/loud sounds), and
    I have a fear of contamination, OCD-style. My brother is a dirty slob.
    Him sleeping on the couch totally freaks me out because it's where I
    tend to sleep. I don't want to go near anything he touches. My brain
    just screams "FILTH FILTH FILTH," and for a good reason, I guess: he
    never, ever, NEVER EVER washes his hands. EVER. (I had a nervous
    breakdown when I learned he wanted to get a job pumping septic
    tanks.) My dad makes fun of me for being so upset, but he doesn't
    wash his hands much, either. Catching a cold or the flu makes me very
    sick and I tend to end up in the hospital. ...Not that my brother
    cares. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] My dad just blames it on me, so whatever. I'm going to stop my germ-whining now, LOL. XD

One day, he'll get REALLY sick one day and he might learn to wash his hands.
    Bringing up the subject every day.

I think my next biggest fear is the fear of loved ones dying. I don't know what I would do without my mom and dad. The thought just scares me so much. I'm also afraid of heights and deep water.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I have always been very superstitious (not sure if its Tridecaphobia(sp)) especially about the number 13. I am convinced that everytime I look at the time its something 13. I will not start or finsih anything if its 13 past the hour - I have to sit in the car until its 14 past the hour (actually I can't get out of the car if it says 15 past the hour becasue the clock is set two mins fast. I won't start the car if it says 13 past or 15 past becasue its really 13 past!!!I won't put anything in my mouth at 13 past the hour although I can eat if its between 1 and 2pm (just not at 13:13!).

I am sure everytime I look at the clockon my VCR it's saying 13 and the counter always seems to tell me 13 as well. In fact I turn away and won't look if it's 10 and try to look back when it's at past 13.

You can imagine how I felt when the midwife told me that my baby was due on 13 sept 1991 - and I also discovered that fell on a Friday. Fortunately she was born on Sunday 15th Sept. The really crazy thing is I was born on Friday 13th (many years ago) but maybe this is where all my irrationality comes from!!?

It's not been easy even typing the number in this post!

I am also very superstitious about magpies. Ladders, cracks in pavements. But don't think I am phobic about them.