Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just overheard him announce to the whole floor that he doesn't know what he ate, but his stomach is turning sommersaults. Great. Wonderful. Up until now, my office hasn't had much in the way of sv, it's been more of head colds and influenza. I hope it was just something he ate, but who knows. I don't really deal with him a whole lot, but I was just over by his desk talking to two other people over there about my baby registry. I hope I wasn't exposed to anything. Yuck. Just when I thought it might not be such a bad year this year . . .

Aww poor you....sad you had to hear that...that's what always gets me into a panic.....But you know you will probably not catch it....IF it's a sv...so just stay away from him and keep your hands clean...you will be fine....have a great rest of the day[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Now I am freaking out. I don't know if he v*d or anything, but he just left for the day. It's only noon. I bet he is sick and it wasn't something he ate. He did not look good. I am thinking of going over and asking one of the girls that sits near him, but I don't want to expose myself any more than I already have. We don't use the same phones, but we do have to use the same door handles and everything like that. Who knows which file cabinets he has touched. At least he is a guy so we don't use the same bathrooms! This is the first I have heard of anyone having a sv this winter. Hopefully, he won't come in tomorrow and then I won't have to see him again until Monday!

well i'm kind of in the same boat you are. One of my co-workers has had diarrhea since last night adn didn't come in to work until 1pm this afternoon. I told him to GO HOME. people jsut don't get it with us not wanted people around. Do you think people who have diarrhea can give us the v* instead of diarrhea? I'm freaking. he was only here for 30 minutes and didn't use the bathroom, so that's good...

about your issue, i'm sure if he was sick, he didn't do it at work or people would be talking about it. if i were you i would be asking around, but that is just me....

Well, at least he left and didn't stay at work any longer...as I said before just keep your hands clean and try not to touch any of his stuff and you should be just fine......alot of people would have just stayed and not thought anything about it...so you are lucky there. Please try to relax though....you are just going to make it worse on yourself...i know it's easier said than done, but in the long run, it will be better for you.....good luck.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

If he did v*, it wasn't around his desk or in the hall or anything - he must have made it to the bathroom. I actually sit kind of by the door and don't recall seeing him fly out or anything, but maybe I was away from my desk at the time. I have just been so on edge since I am pregnant. I have heard that pregnancy lowers your immune system, so I am so scared that this will be my year. However, my husband has had a couple of nasty colds already this year and I didn't catch those so maybe my immune system isn't as bad as I thought.

adunlavey - I'm not sur eif your co-worker could make you v* or not. It really depends on why he had d*. Maybe he just has IBS or something that isn't contagious. I'm hoping that my co-worker's problem is just food. We had a cake around here a few days ago that had cream cheese filling and no one ever refrigerated it after we had the party. Maybe he just ate a piece of that and it was bad. I'm trying to relax about the whole thing. I am tryin gnot to touch my face. I haven't eaten anything with my hands and won't eat anything until I go home for the day now. I did have a muffin that I brought from home this morning, but I used hand sanatizer before I ate it and then I used a fork to eat it, so I never really even touched it. Hopefully none of his germs found there way into it. I ate it long before I heard him complain about his stomach, but that doesn't mean it hadn't started earlier. I am so ready for the weekend to get here!

The odds of either one catching anything are very slim. Neither of you drank from the same cup or shared the same bag of chips, so I think you are both going to be ok. Just keep your hands off your face, wash or purell after touching the cabinets, copier, door, etc. and you should be just fine.
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

I actually heard that when you are pregnant, your immune system is at its strongest because of the prenatal vitamins.
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by babygap5
    I actually heard that when you are pregnant, your immune system is at its strongest because of the prenatal vitamins.

I hope you are right! People have been bringing in Easter candy for a couple of weeks now - jelly beans and stuff. Even thoguh I have a major sweet tooth, I have managed not to eat even one jelly bean becasue I am afraid of who else's hands have been in the bag. I'm really glad about that now! Otherwise I would really be panicking!

I NEVER eat out of the public candy dish. NEVER. It is a germ fest in there. Good move silly..
    <a href=\"

thanks for the reassurance. i jsut went and sprayed his desk with lysol. on the same topic, i think i had an axiety attack yesterday. i couldn't leave my apt and my husband was getting so mad that i wouldn't go to the store with him. i jsut cried and took a bath and then i was better. i really hate feelign like this. I'm so afraid of where i'm going to be if i get sick.

do any of you think that what they say about emetophobes about rarely v* is true? I really hope so...

The reason i asked about the d* to v* is because last christmas (2004) i was sick on xmas with d* and went to a relatives and was in the bathroom alot. couldn't eat...the next day, everyone except me and one other person were v*. do you think it was from me? i still ponder it to this day, because my sister wasn't there, but I was with her the night before and she had d* at the same time the others were v*.....GOT THAT...i'm rambling.

the good thing of all of this is that it's 55 outside today and i'm in PA, so hopefully the weather will stay this way and i can be outside and get fresh air. i hate the winter season..........HELP

Yes, I do think it is true that emets v* less than non-emets in most cases. I have had sv's in the past where AI didn't v* but my sister did a few days later. The xmas experience you mentioned probably was the same sv. Viruses just affect different people in different ways. I would much rather have d* than v* any day. But that doesn't necessarily mean that jsut because your coworker had d* you will have v*. It may affect you both the same way and IF you were to get it (which you probably won't) you mgiht just get d* too. I wish I could spray my coworker's desk down with lysol but I don't have any. Plus there are a bunch of people around who would probably laugh at me for doing it.

I always feel so much better when the weather is nicer. It's like I am invinsible or something when the sun is out and it's warm. Or that if I do get soemthing, it won't be as bad for some reason. I don't understand why I think this way, but it sure makes summer easier. I guess now we both have to just wait and see. I wish I could just call in tomorrow or go home for this afternoon and avoid anymore possible exposure but I have to save my days off for when the baby comes. I should be looking at this situation as a positive one in that I can use it as exposure therapy to help me get better. But I am still so scared!

Congrats, i did not read that you were pregnant. did you have morning sickness?

unfortunately, i'm the only person here today....i work in a sales office so all the reps leave around 9.. but if they were here, they would laugh at me too! it's so annoying that no one realizes that it bothers me so much but they talk about it like it's no big deal... I just talked with my mom and she flipped out on me for being so weird about it. so i hung up on her. i hate it. i wish i wasn't like this....egw.................

anyway, i read that you have to be in contact with the v* or d* to get it. My hands are so dry from washing them all the time. sad as it is, i mix my hand soap at work with bleach spray....also i have Vira-Gard that i keep in my purse so you can bet that i just used it....also i have my adivan in my purse, but i can honestly say i've had it in my purse for a year now and have NEVER used it...

are you this bad?

My hands get horribly dry. I try to keep lotion on them to help, but my mom and grandma were commentng last weekend that my hands looked like I was wearing pink gloves they were so irritated. I have Vira Gard too! I didn't know anyone else that uses it. I am never without it after reading that it kills Norwalk. The sad thing is that I still use Purell with it. You would think one would be enough, but I use both "just in case." No one I work with knows about my phobia. The only people that know are my family and my husband (and his family). My family is a little flakey about it, but my husband is wonderful. He knows all about this site and everything. Last night he was asking me a bunch of questions about emet just to understand it better. He asked if everyone on the site's husband/wife was supportive and I told him that it seems like some are, some aren't and some don't even know about it.

As far as the pregnancy goes, thanks! No, I haven't had any morning sickness. I am a little over halfway there, so hopefully there won't be any at all. I'm more focused nwo on how I will react to my child v* rather than the morning sickness aspect, but I figure I will cross that bridge when I get there!

I just wanted to add something I read today - why emets dont v* sometimes
    when others do. I read the story of a woman who had h.g. (Excessive V* in
    pregnancy) and she recommended hypnosis as a way to help treat it. I think
    that the gripping fear we have helps us stop the v* reflex in the
    hypothalymus kind of the way hypnosis does. There is definitely a way to
    control v* with calming techniques (or, in my case, panic attacks! haha)

K

Well, my coworker didn't come in today. I talked to a girl he sits near and she said he does this a lot - announces he doesn't feel good, takes a half day, then calls in the next day. She thinks he just wanted to take today off. I guess I just have to wait and see if I catch anything from him (if he really was sick). The thing that doesn't make sense is that we get PTO time instead of sick and vacation time. So, we can take our time for any reason, no questions asked. Why wouldhe have to pretend to be sick then?

Maybe he tries to be dramatic about being sick to gain the sympathyof his coworkers. Maybe he also thinks this makes his story about being sick more believable. Some people are just strange. It sounds like you have good hand hygiene, so even if he was really ill you should be ok.

Nikki