Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New Roommate

Hi Everyone!

I hope this finds you all doing well!

I am in the midst of a "sitaution" now and I don't know how to handle it. I just got my first roommate (the only people I've ever lived with I have been either related to or sleeping with). She moved in just about a week ago. I've been housesitting for a friend, so I haven't actually stayed here with her. And tonight is my first night.

She knows about my phobia and we have a deal that if she isn't feeling well, she goes to her boyfriend's house. So, I shouldn't be worried, but as I am sitting her, I'm anxious. I'm so anxious, I'm actually posting about it....Ha! I know I am an adult, and I should not be so worried about this, but I'm not used to my home feeling "unsafe." This is a temporary situation (hopefully 4 months or less), and I've actually started counting the days.

Anyone have any advice about how to handle this new situation?

Thanks!

I\'m not completely insane; I\'m just a little bit crazy.

Hey, i really think it will be ok...just make sure sh ewahses her hands and explain that will make you feel better, I know that when things change around me I get really nervous as well, but people ar emeant to adapt...and I am sur eyou will, give it awhile get you rmind off things ( read movies tv ) and try and hang in there...

Yah you should be fine, if she promises to go somewhere else if she feels ill, thats ok. But like above, make sure she knows to wash her hands a lot, do what i do and say not only you have emet, but you havent got a really strong immune system and if people dont wash their hands ok, even small amounts of bacteria make you sick. It works for me, my dad goes overboard being a funny guy and scourges his hands with a steel sponge and scolding hot water.

I really hope your time together is ill-free for the both of you.

-Amy
    Bringing up the subject every day.

Thanks guys! I'm feeling a lot better today. I'm just trying to rucxh adjustment....it's been a long time since I've lived with anyone!!
    I\'m not completely insane; I\'m just a little bit crazy.