Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: GERD??? SCARED

okay guys. ive recently been dealing with a lump in my throat/ tightness fullness in chest/ nausea in sternum.. classic esophagus type of deal...

today finally. i was driving home after eating dinner(mexican).. i had gotten the upset feeling in my chest so i drank some 7up, and a little while later.. that nasty acidy juice came up in my throat and i immediately started FREAKING OUT horrible.. i called my mom and started crying.

i started researching about gerd... and it seems that whenever i look for things, i always find trouble..

lots of people said that they v* a lot with their acid reflux. and that SCARES ME HORRIBLY!!!!! i dont want to v*!..

this doesnt happen often. this lumpy feeling comes and goes. and ive had theacid come up maybe twice in the past few months.. and i dont get heartburn pain or anything...

but i am SCARED. i am hoping its due to stress/anxiety or my diet.. or..SOMETHING. I AM HOPING ITS SOMETHING THAT WILL GO AWAY. I DONT WANT TO V*. ahhhhh! tell me i wont!

the lump in my throat is still here. the base of my throat. it feels like something is sitting there.

is there anything you guys do naturally to get rid of it?

Hi :0 Take a deep breath, your in no danger that i can see I really dont think you will be sick...especially if its never made you v* before, there is meds you can get from doctors for acid reflux...something that helps with heart burn is mustard, if you eat mustard with food ( I knwo it sounds weird )

all i know..
    is that the two times im remembering
    when the acid came up in my throat..
    was directly after eating things with tomatos in them..
    like tonight i had salsa..and the time before it was pizza..
    but ive eaten both before and not had problems..so it makes no sense.

my face is so hot im freaking out.
    thanks for your reassurance...
    i am hoping i will never be one of those peple that v*'s.
    oh gosh.. i wish i hadnt read that.. i would have been so far better off..

Seriously, I think the people that v* was because they had really weak stomachs, and wanted to v* or they v* ALL the time with it, and you never have...tomatoes are very acidic...and can upset my stomach, and I have had acidic burps before where it has come up...the hot face is a panic attack, take deep breaths and keep reassuring yourself, and think rationally...you have had this feeling before and it went away...people go through this all the time and not v* and it will pass...

I have that acid in my throat almost everyday. I steer clear of ANYTHING with tomatoes in it...that only makes it worse. Anything high in acid will make it flare up. Sometimes chocolate, too. I alway drink lots of water and chew peppermint gum. It will eventually go away. Oh, I have never gotten sick from it.

Hey Liz,

I suffer from an ulcer, I get alot of acid reflux tends to bother me when I eat anything greasy,to much flavoring in it or raw vegetables.

You see with anxiety and having your stomach working overtime to digest while you are feeling uptight over this feeling it may be that this is happining because of the anxiety..

Now,seeing that ive had a bad stomach for 4 and a bit years now and through acid reflux I have NEVER once v* from it ever,I am on omperozole (sp) which is a gastro resistant helps the digestion and also with the acid build up in your stomch.

What I also finds to help with acid reflux is not to drink to much fizzy juice it will onyl agrivate it,I dont actually drink it as it makes my stomach that bad,also eating mash potatos with most meals to coat your stomach helps digestion or also yogharts after it really do help as well.

Hope this helps hun

*hugs*

xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i have also been horribly hacking up tons of mucus lately..
    wasnt sure if that was related..

thanks so much for everyones replies..it has been a serious relief for me.. truly truly.

do any of you find that milk products aggrivate anything?
    i've heard that you're supposed to stop it with the milk if you're experiencing indigestion problems.

i love mashed potatoes.. ive been eating very horribly lately. ive mostly been eating carbs and lots of crappy food.
    that may be another irritant.. hmmmm.

Milk, Mucus and Cough</font>

</font>

Some people complain
    that milk makes their nose run, coats their throat and triggers coughing. Why
    is this so?
    </font>

Everyone has mucus

Mucus consists of water, salt and various proteins that help to trap germs and
    particles of dirt. Antibacterial enzymes and proteins called antibodies also help
    to kill germs and protect from infection. Produced by cells within the nose, sinuses
    and lung, mucus is moved towards the back of the throat by microscopic "hair
    cells" (cilia) where it is then swallowed.</font>

Mucus can irritate

Too much mucus can make the nose run or drip down the back of the throat, leading
    to "post-nasal drip". Typically caused by infections or allergy, excessive
    mucus can trigger cough, sore throats and husky voice. </font>

Thick, dry mucus can also
    irritate the throat and be hard to clear. Dry mucus is more common in older people
    and in dry inland climates. Air conditioning, winter heating, dehydration and
    some medications (eg. some antihistamines, antidepressants and blood pressure
    medicines) can aggravate the condition.</font>

Milk and mucus

Some people complain that when they have dairy products, their throat feels coated
    and mucus is thicker and harder to swallow. Recent research has shown that these
    feelings are due to the texture of the fluid, occur with similar liquids of the
    same "thickness" and are not due to increased production of mucus. When
    they do occur, symptoms are generally short-lived. Symptoms of <a href="http://www.medeserv.com.au/ascia/aer/infobulletins/hp_allergy_milk.htm" target="_blank">cow's
    milk allergy
    </a> are very different. </font>

Milk does not cause middle
    problems

Middle ear infections (otitis media) are very common in early childhood. Infections
    are even more common when children suffer from allergic rhinitis ("hay fever")
    as well.

Allergic inflammation causes swelling in the nose and around the opening of the
    eustacian tube ("ear canal"), interfering with drainage of the middle
    ear. Like water in a stagnant pond, infection is more likely. </font>

Children with cow's milk
    allergy sometimes appear to suffer from more frequent infections. This is not
    because milk causes infection, but rather because children with food allergy are
    more likely to suffer from an allergic nose as well. </font>

Eliminating dairy product
    does not help asthma or allergic rhinitis

Asthma and allergic rhinitis ("hay fever") are normally triggered by
    substances that we inhale, such as pollen, dust mite, mould spores or animal danders.
    Dairy products rarely trigger asthma or hay fever. When they do, nasal symptoms
    are usually accompanied by obvious symptoms of allergy, such as severe hives,
    throat or tongue swelling or a drop in blood pressure ("shock") as well.
    </font>

Recent studies have shown
    that milk has no effect on lung capacity, and does not trigger symptoms in patients
    with asthma any more than placebo. When patients complain of cough after having
    cold milk, it is usually due to breathing in cool air as they drink, and usually
    disappears if they warm the milk first.</font>

Cutting out important
    foods can adversely affect nutrition

Milk and dairy products are an important source of calcium and other mine

I deal with the same thing, have been for over 10 years. I always thought it was an ulcer. Its either that or gerd. Certain foods cause this gnawing, yucky feeling directly below my breastbone. The only thing that helps it a bit is milk or even eating something light. I get a little *n and after several hours it begins to gurgle and loosen up and I feel fine. I never went to the doc. This happens about 3 to 5 times a year. It makes me anxious too.

Word of advice. The worst thing you could ever do is try and diagnose yourself on the web. I did it once and it made me 100 times worse. Kim

guys i CANT relax.
    i cant go to sleep.
    i tried laying in bed and doing deep breathing..
    and for awhile it seemed like it was doing somethjing..
    and a usual feeling (the feeling of hunger and stuff under my ribs) came over me, and that was a welcome feeling...
    but then the bloated distention feeling came back and i started feeling n* again.
    i am shaking now...
    and i cant sleep at all..
    oh geeeeeeeeez.
    the lump in my throat is STILL there.
    all i keep thinking about is how all these people said they get sick with their indigestion. how horrid! why did i read that!!

kim, i agree that it is unwise to diagnose yourself over the web.. but how did you get worse? i'd love to hear your story. gives my mind something to do instead of thinking about being sick!

i am sipping water now.
    i did the ginger tea thing hours ago.
    nothing is working.

i am still burping up my mexican dinner.
    like the taste of it or whatever.. gross i know...
    but why the heck is it still lingering in my system?
    i ate dinner at 4:30PM! how could it still be in my belly????!

Do you have Zantac or any other antacid you can take? It should help. Go get some Zantac or Tums, anything.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

are you still awake now? I have had lingering food burps for HOURS and HOURS after eating...

i cant sleep.
    ive tried twice so far.
    all i do is think about how not normal i feel..
    the lump is more prevalent than ever..
    my parents are anti antacids.. they are convinced they arent good..
    and so im drinking my second cup of ginger tea.. but nothing is doing anything!

wheneveri go to lay down.. the tightness in my sternum and chest increases.. like bloatedness.. it is absolutely awful..

i cant stop being upset about it.
    ive tried breathing ive tried calming down..

i dont want to wake up int he middle of the night to v*!
    some of the girls on the GERD forums say that they wake up in the morning to v* with their indigestion. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ok...well try lying down with pillows so yoru propped up...do you have a tv in you rbr that you can watch, or go on th ecouch, watch a movie thats calming... I really really really really think you won't be sick...I kno wyou feel gross and the lump is there, but lump is not a symptom of someone who will be sick...seriously if these people woke up to be sick then they let it happen, its not like food poisoning or sv where you have no control... have eaten things an dfelt like crap and burped up tastes for like 10 hours after, you just need to give your body more time to digest...sip the ginger tea, do you have crackers...like the saltrine ones? premium i think they are calle,d you can try that...

Plus you would have been sick by now if it was going to happen...

i am crying absolutely horribly.
    the worst cries i have had in a long time.
    i t is that time of the month for me..
    but i should be in bed and it causing me more panic..
    i shouldnt be awake right now..

i am feeling more nauseous..
    i just opened my mouth o burp a little bit ago
    And swore i had the tast e of v*..

oh gosh oh gosh.

Thats what burps taste like, you really need to calm down do you have msn or yahoo...my msn is [email protected] my yahoo is littlemiss_2075...if you dont thats ok...you have indegestion and your having a panic attack...deep breathing and rational thinking...

PMS can cause nausea too...and crying and that feeling and i always get more paranoid when i am pmsing...

Are you ok???

i keep looking at other forums..
    i went to a stress/anxiety one..
    and there was an entry that said "v* in the mornings"..

I CANT ESCAPE IT!
    PLEASE REASSURE ME THAT I WONT v*...
    i am feeling so hot and tensed up now..
    my chest is heavy and full
    i am so super hot.

Ok I get hot an dburny when i feel sick becaus eof panic!!! I promise you, You won't be sick, you would have been sick by now! You really have to think you dont have a flu or FP you would have been sick by now...this is just something an dyou have to ride th ewave of it...keep breathing slowly...what kinds of things calm you down? Giv eyoursel flittle goals...like if I make it to 12:50 I will b eok, and then at 12:50 give yourself another goal of if I make it to 12:55, and soon alot of time will pass...Your body is meant to fight off this nauseaus feeling or you would have been sick by now...this is PMS, and indigestion and panic...I know it is sooo scary I have been there I promise you i have been to where I thought for sure I would be sick burning up and crying and shaking and feeling so gross and not sleeping...open a window and stick your head by it... talk to me and get your mind off it...take deep breaths you will be ok and get through this.

do yo uhave nay mints or minty gum?

i wish i could describe this feeling to you...
    it MUST be anxiety for it to have gone on this long..
    most things that are acid reflux would've chilled out by now right?
    its been 7 hours at least!

its like someone could pin prick me in the chest with a needle and i'd burst!
    it is that kind of bloated feeling!

the lump is still there but i guess i need to just forget about it.
    i am afraid to go to sleep.
    everytime i've layed down the feeling seems to get worse..

my parents are asleep.
    no one even cares what im going through..
    i hate nighttime.

well i care...it is gas that is cause that feeling...I get it all the time ( especially if I eat tomatoes ) and I too freak out everytime I feel that way... I think you have indegestion,and Ithink your bloated and have gas...so if you lie down in bed it may make you feel worse especially if you lie on your side, or flat on you rback, thats why I think you shoul dget a couple pillows and prop them up, sometimes I find sleeping in the livingroom helps with the tv so my mind is on something and I am not in a room where I have had panic attacks before...but whatever you feel comfiest with...I am pretty sure you feel gross and are having a panic attack...and I think it will b egone by morning... what exactly did you eat?

I ate 6 hours ago, I had ice cream and that always upsets my stomach ( dont know why i did it ) and I have been burping like every 20 seconds it is awful, but it has lasted this long, so its not unusual.

hey you can add me on MSN if you need to talk.. [email protected]

try to calm yourself down im sure its nothing I get that all the time.. recently almost every night... but i know its cause I think too much about it.. + ppl usually only v* right after eating... u've already been awake for hourS!!! the food should have settled now.. I think maybe its cause you ate some onions in the mexican food... cause mexican food always makes me gassy... I know prolly nothing i say right now will calm you down.. but trust me I know EXACTLY how you're feeling right now.. i go thru a panic attack almost every night... you know what helps? pacing.. even if you feel sick.. and u dont want to move... like try to.. trust me you'll feel better I kno right now ur prolly thinking that if you move at all.. thats gonna be it.. but just remember if u were going to.. u wouldve already..

-vee
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

are you feeling better today/ What ahppened?