Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi guys,

I have been reading the information on this site and I am unsure whether to try some sort of therapy. I have been on anti-depressents for two years(now off them), been to 3 counsellors and a hypnotherapist... they make no difference. I gave up and haven't tried again for around 3 years.

I am 16 and my Mum is getting really annoyed at me and I feel as though I ama burden on my family. The way she talks...she says she doesn't know what to do anymore and can't handle me anymore. She sayas that she is sick of watching her P's and Q's (such as calling me her fave nickname of chuck)... Being by my mothers side helps me when I am having an episode of anxiety but this only agrivates her and my father (especially when it is at night time).

They just don't understand. I try to explain and I get nowhere. I have been thinking about asking Mum to take me to get therapy but I am scared to in the fear that they will make me v.... or that if I get rid of the fear completely that I will v....

I don't know what to do, do you have any advice for me?

Thankyou,

Sarah

Sarah-

No competent therapist will try to make you beat this phobia through vomitting yourself. There is something called exposure therapy, which involves looking at cartoons, pictures, and videos- but this is done gradually, and you move at the level you are comfortable with. It definitely does not involve you vomitting yourself!

I say definitely look into your options in regards to therapy- you are so young! There is a good chance that if you get help now you don't have to be like this for the rest of your life. A word of caution though- it may take going to a few therapists before you find one that you feel comfortable working with, or that is competent in treating this phobia (or the other issues surrounding it- often it is tied to something else that is completely not related).

As for your parents- although it may feel as though they are frustrated with you, a lot of it probably has to do with their own frustrations regarding their helplessness. It can't be easy seeing your child suffer and not be able to remedy the situation yourself. There are a lot of resources on this site- maybe some will be helpful to print out and show to them?

Good Luck,

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this but I really don't think there is a successful way to treat or get over this phobia. After everything I've tried, I just feel like there is no hope sometimes. I hope and PRAY I'm wrong..and I never stop looking for help...

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Kathleen

I always have to pitch in whenever I see this kind of post! I have been successfully treated for a VERY severe form of this phobia, even though it took me 20 years and 11 useless therapists to finally find one that helped me. I dunno - maybe I was also at a point in my life when I was TOTALLY willing to work hard to beat it also. As a therapist myself now, I am currently treating emetophobes and having good success with them...at least the ones who are willing to work at it.

I have also done a ton of research for a book, and can tell you there is lots of evidence of people being successfully treated for emetophobia.

Treatment should NEVER involve ANYTHING that scares you. Especially vomiting yourself.

Info I've written is on the top of this treatments thread. My story is at the top of the "experiences" thread entitled CURED OF EMETOPHOBIA.

Goodluck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

sarz....

hi, i have the same problem with my parents...my father does not
    understand... and i feel better being around my mother... im 20 years
    old and since im feeling this phobia (for 2 years now) i just wanna be
    with my mother... in fact almost all nights i have to sleep with her...
    she doesn`t know what to do anymore... and im afraid of she getting
    depressed coz of me... my family doesn`t understand me... my sister its
    a psychologist and she has her teories about me, she says that its just
    my nerves and that... i went to a psycho for several months not my
    sister another one , coz treatments in family doesn`t work so much, and
    my psycho she made psycho tests and that, and teached me how to remain
    calm and make meditation ... well he might helps when we are calm but
    when i get worst i just can`t get calm and i can`t do meditation... the
    nauseas start to atack me hard at night... when 5 pm comes my body
    starts to feel weack and shaking and the nauseas my god its
    such a terrible pain... the nights are an hell for
    me, i can`t get sleep, i can`t get out with my friends i can`t do
    nothing...

And the sickiest thing is that im always thinking about getting
    sick and imagin people getting sick and what is gonna be my life
    without my mother suport... what is going to be my future... and i
    don`t see nothing going better, and i can`t live forever like this...
    im losing my strengh to fight against this... im afraid of quiting my
    life... i just can`t think about anything more... i don`t wanna live
    like this forever, prefer to die! without my family i am nothing
    here... i depend a lot of them specially my mother... god i love her so
    much and she helps me very much and im such a freak with this phobia...
    i envy my friends they`re not afraid of v* and getting out at night!

can u get out at night?

Hi Newbie!

Your story is very typical - so don't worry, you are not alone.

If I were you, I would try another psychologist. The one you tried did not help you very much. I had to try 10 before I found one who helped me. Now I am cured of this phobia, and it was very very bad.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I have to agree with Sage of course. Sometimes it takes a few therepists , or a few tries to just decide to fight.

I am reminded of that one commercial for quitting smoking. I know its totally unrelated but I found it strangly motivating.Where they say something like "maybe last time was just practice, maybe you weren't ready etc..." I alway think of my emet fight, like maybe last therepist wasnt the right one but I'm not gonna stop looking, the right one is out there or maybe last time I wasn't working hard enough and this time I will do better. I have a great therepist now (3rd one so far) and he may not be the one to cure me but if he isnt I'll keep trying. If one person can be cured we all can. I just have to remind myself that alot. Hopefully that made some sense.

Hey guys,

thanks for all your advice, I think I will try a therapist. Besides that my Mum said that if I don't go and see someone she'll send me to bording school coz she can't handle me anymore!

I got into so much trouble last night coz I had a panic attack and went in to wake up my Mum. She got so mad! She said that I might not be allowed to go out with them today (in other words I'm grounded!). I feel really angry about this because I can't help it! She thinks I'm naughty but I just need to be with her. I can see how it frustrates her but sometimes I feel that she isn't even trying to understand!