Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: help

i need to know what you take for anti anxiety stuff.. immediately..

does it work.
    what do you take
    help me

i dont take anything medical...
    i just chew on blue extra chewing gum because of the peppermint its supposed to help calm you down

do you get horrible horrible panic attacks that keep you awake all night long?
    i mean hyperventilating and nausea and heart racing and pacing back and forth for hours on end? thats what i did last night...

i feel like...
    where am i..

everytime i lay down to try and sleep i feel even sicker..
    its like my head wont let me relax even though i am absolutely sleep deprived...

i need SOMETHING for that.
    i am not one to take drugs..
    but i am at my WITS

My aunt always sucks on Barley Sugar hard-boiled lollies when she's not feeling well, but i've never tried. Usually I sip water. I figure if I am going to v*, then it's best to try to stay hydrated... I generally don't eat if i'm not well.

I also had a shrink (psychologist)give me a relaxation tape she made to help cope withanxiety. It did work - it relaxed me enough to get to sleep, it's amazing, I had never known how tense I was each night I crawled into bed until I used her tapes... But I probably couldn't have used it if I was too tense to lie down and was still pacing the floorboards.

When i'm that bad, I try to sit down and read or watch tv or listen to music - something for my mind to focus on, if it can. I sip as much water as I can, andtake regular trips to the loo.. Good luck with it. Keep us posted on how you go.

Liz,

I'm with snoozy on the drinking and trips to the loo. If I am
    anxious I also find that I can usually calm myself down by drinking
    pints of dilutable orange drink (thinks like Robinsons orange
    squash). I can find myself drinking 4 or 5 pints of this over the
    course of an evening and make about 20 trips to the toilet, but I do
    find it calms me down. Don't know why it works, but it just does
    for me.

the other thing is I play my guitar or any other instrument that comes
    to hand that means I have to give that total concentration.

Hope this helps, stay well and let us know how you are getting on.

Iain

hot baths help, bring a book or some music in there with you, and focus on that. Also try deep breathing, but alternate it with normal breaths, b/c deep breathing consistently can make you feel dizzy if you're not used to it. Try using some affirmations....tell yourself, "I am safe, I am not in danger." Think that to yourself over and over and over. Write it down if you need to. Get into the habit of doing an affirmation every time you have anxiety, eventually the affirmations kick in automatically. They don't work 100% of the time, more like 80%, but that's still pretty darn good, I think. Also try progressive muscle relaxation.

Hope you feel better.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Oh, you can also take Benedryl or Dramamine to calm anxiety, but I would advise against doing that on a regular basis. Maybe you should see a doctor about an SSRI or tranquilizer prescription? But until you do that, Dramamine or Benedryl will work in a crisis situation. They take a while to work, though. Just pop in a movie, wrap up in a blanket, and concentrate on the movie as hard as you can until the meds start to take effect.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Xanax! If you have no insurance, the generic Alprazolam is just as good. Ive been on it 5 years. Kim

I take ativan...