Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Please help.

Hello, im new to this forum and in great need of some help.

Well im 17 now and since about september 2004, i've had the fear of vomiting, and all i used to eat was bread and plain biscuits, as i was so scared of throwing up, i didn't have much to be sick on. Recently it got a lot worse and i kept cutting back on food and drink. I now have anerexia aswell as this phobia, and the only thing i eat is 4 plain rich tea biscuits a day and 2 cups of tea. I feel sick all the time as my stomach is starved and so is my brain, so i find it hard to think. I just really need something to reasure myself i won't be sick so i can start eating a little bit again, as i don't know how much longer my body can cope anymore. I've been to the doctors and everywhere and still i've had no help. One person tells me one thing, the other tells me something else. I got given maxalon syrup which the doctor said if i had a stomach bug or virus, take it and it would stop be vomiting, then people on forums say it dosn't work, and of course you can't live on meds your whole life, but i just need something so i can at least start eating again to get some strength as i keep feeling really suicidal and im in so much pain. Please if anyone can help me or is having the same i would be glad to listen.

Ruth xx

Hi. i'm carol. i live in the uk. There was a time i never went anywhere without my maxalon syrup, it is very soothing and i believed in it 100%. At the time i only ate kit kats and drank lots of milk becuase like you i thought it best not to fill my tummy. I was always being told a car cannot work without fuel. I do eat now although i am still under 8 stone. Ifi was toV eating or not wont make much difference. i haven'tV forthirtyyears.

The doctors i have come across dont even know what emetophobia is. I had a little help but went private and had to pay 45 pound an hour.

I dont have any syrup with me these days but it DOES work thats what it is for. Once during a very bad panic attack where i thought i was going toVi had it injected into me.

It's me again. When you read what i have to say remember i am also emet i would not say anything to put you at risk.I understand you 100% as i was just like you are now.

Eating food will not make you sick. Food will make you feel better. As you dont eat at the moment you have to start slowly. What about one weetabix with lots of milk. Do that for a week. Then what about some porridge. If you feel full sit down and watch T.V it will pass within half an hour i promise.

Anything else i can help you with just ask. You are not alone with this.

hello.

thank you so much for a relpy, i read what you put and felt a lot calmer as this morning i felt so annoyed and upset.

Im going to start taking my maxalon and try to introduce foods slowly. My mum said she wuld also help me through this and like set goals for me to acheive and find ways of helping.

I went with my dad today shopping to find some bland foods to start of with, such as banana's, bread, tea's and things, so i can introduce food slowly again.

I, too, have an eating disorder. PM me if you ever want to talk. My eating disorder is connected to my fear of V*, but has much deeper roots too... Are you getting any treatment for your anorexia?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been trying to get help for my eating disorder yes, but it seems nothings helping, i've had so many trips to the doctor, and other support, like eating disorder teams but nothing seems to help. I know my phobia of weight gain and calories, come from the V phobia, it came second too it. Thats why if i could just start eating small amounts for my brain to get some energry back into so i can think. Does anyone know any good foods or drink? that are light and good to start off with? any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I have alot of problems with eating as well My heart goes out to you...Maybe try some steamed vegetables...and boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes, start off slow but those things have low risk of food poisoning...dry cereal as well...toast...

ruth..
    these are tried and true foods for me that i can take
    knowing they wont be too hard on digestion and be easy on me..
    and they're pretty healthy! good for your brain..

bananas
    applesauce
    toast and jam or toast and honey
    fresh apples
    no yolks noodles (i put olive oil and garlic on mine)
    rice.. brown is healthier.. but they say white is easier on digestion
    cranberry juice

Thank you for the list of foods.

Thats a big help. Tommorow im going to have some toast with honey on in the morning insted of my biscuits and maybe in the afternoon have a small bowl of cereal with just a tiny bit of milk on, so its not to much, but maybe give me some more energry then im getting already. Also the Banana's and apples sounds like a good idea as when i ate i liked both of them. I also got some herbal tea, like peppermint and gingers to calm my stomach as i get stressed easily which then makes my stomach hurt. I've also been given maxolon by my doctor to take 30 minutes beofre i eat, so im reasured i won't be sick and it helps relax the stomach mucles, thank you all for your support. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Well yesterday, i had some biscuits in the morning a bowl of rice and tuna for lunch, then some more biscuits at night. I felt a little worried but i took my antiemetics so i knew i couldnt be sick which helped.

This morning i had some biscuits and a bowl of cereal and im going to try and have some toast for lunch and some cereal for my dinner so its quite bland but its better then just eating biscuits. I think the reasurence of having my maxalon syrup helps and i have come to relise, by not eating i was putting myself more at risk of catching things and not eating would evently make me sick. At the moment i feel a bit sick because my body is getting used to the feeling of eating again after 6 months of just eating biscuits.

Roofus,

I have three things to suggest that you try:

1) Ensure or Boost, if you think you can drink it. It is absolutely, positively "bland" in that it is 100% digestible AND 100% nutritious. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. Not super tasty, but they "tube feed" people it in hospital for like years and they survive just fine. Also they formulate it so in a way it's almost 'pre-digested' therefore it won't ever make you sick. It can also never be poisonous. AND you can't get fat on it! But you can sure get healthy.

2) If you think you can't handle that then take some lovely green and yellow vegetables and boil them together with a little salt, then drain off the broth. Sip the hot broth slowly - this isn't as good as Boost for energy, however it will give you vitamins, enzymes, etc. and a little bit of sustenance although no calories. Better than biscuits which contain toxins, chemicals, etc.

3) Start looking into getting some psychological help before you get very very sick or die. Your symptoms are quite alarming. And trust me, sweetie, I've been there. When I was your age, in fact. Now I'm in my late 40s, happy, full of life and anxiety-free. But I remember eating only bananas and Digestive cookies for a time. I wish I'd had a forum like this or someone like me to talk to and tell me this stuff, cuz my biggest thing was feeling alone and that no one understood or cared. Go to the top of any thread - the IMPORTANT TOPICS section and click on the INFO & FAQs and it will direct you to articles I've written to give your parents, your doctor, etc. Get informed and take control of your own life again!

All the best,
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Well i relised for some reason it seems to be the butter on toast that makes me feel ill, like yesterday i tried having honey on my toast insted and when i did i didn't get sick, but today i had butter again like the the other day and have been heaving for the past hour. I had my maxlon which stopped me acctuly bringing anything up apart from a bit of water. I think my stomach trying to get used to the food as its giving me a bad stomach. Do you think its the butter on the toast? seeing as both days i had butter on toast i heave. I thought it would put me off eating but it hasnt its made me want to eat as i don't want to go back down to just two biscuits and have to go through it all again lol.

To the moderator:

How did you do it? I am turning 40 and would also LOVE to be free of this. What did you do, and how? Please let me know, and everyone else now! Looking forward to hearing your experience. Thanx!!!

Hey! well i was acctuly sick! you see as i havnt been eating to long i went a bit to fast and ate too much, which made me have the worst stomach upset, but i didnt bother taking my maxalon as i thought maybe this would cure me, so i was sick yesterday, but then got rused into hospital from severe stomach pains, but yeah i was sick, and in a way i was glad as when i was sick it took away the pain and i think its more the lead up to being sick people are worried about think> i may be wrong, but thats what i find. But im not giving up eating after this as i don't want to fall behind and end up doing this all again, but i think its best i stick with the BRAT diet , Banana, Rice, Apple sauce and toast. to begin with ave like fish fingers, but nice and slow should do the trick. Also things like mashed potato. Well its 5.54am now here and i got rused into hospital yesterday with severe stomach cramp which the rekon i was sick and had that as my body isnt used to all this food, but to everyone, sometimes being sick helps..i don't mean to sound horrible saying that, but that BRAT diet is easy on your stomach.

What have doctors told you? I am terribly sorry you have gotten this bad. I think it is really important that you get in and seek some help and possibly get admitted to a hospital until you are eating what you need to.

I really am concerned, and I know you don't want to hear this but you really could die if your not careful.

How are you doing on eating now? You definately need some nourishment. Eating only biscuits is not healthy. Please try and maybe wean into eating some new and healthy foods. Keep us posted on your progress with other foods you are trying! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Hey, yeah i might be doing into an eating disorders unti for a while, but at least now im eating thins like toast, rice, cereals, fruit, but i just think i need to take it slolwy as my stomach must be so shrunk from starving it on 4 rich tea biscuits for about 4 months thats what is thought to have made me ill and i had an allergic reaction to an anti-emetic, which wasnt very nice and what im still being treated for.. But i am eating again, i'd rather get the pain over and done with.

((((((((((roofus)))))))))Massive hugs!!

Well done for trying the foods that you wanted to eat ect..

Although I am VERY sorry to hear how the situation ended up..

I must say that I am very very proud of your determination with this to get back on the bandwagon as they say and to start again!!!

Very well done,glad to have you back around and I hope that things start to ease with your stomach and the you manage to star the BRAT diet soon as you are ready xxx

Aww thanks, thats really nice of you , thank you. And no don't be sorry, i acctuly wanted to be sick to get rid of the pain, which it did so i was happy. But yeah the brat diet sounds good , thank you for all your support! *hugs* My aim is too get up too a fish finger sandwhich to eat now, but i have to be carefull as i don't want to over do it. Does anyone else take maxalon syrup?? i found it helped when i took and was just dry heaving just hapening nothing else, apart from when i didnt take it i was sick, so its a preety strong med, though by acciedent the hospital agve me too much ad i was overdosed on it, that was preety horrible.

You know the irony of this whole situation? It may make you realize something very interesting; did you know you are making yourself more sick (the very thing you fear most) just by not eating right?

Gosh, I am just so terribly sorry and I feel so bad for you. All I can do is tell you "big hugs to you", and please be careful. Like Violet said, congrats on even trying...it may take some time, but you can get there!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

I totally agree, thats why im eating again, i mean i cant get on abus without thinking im going to catch something at such a low diet, but since these 4 days i've had more energey for the day.

You really need to see your doctor. If your body is involuntarily V* when you eat just a little bit, you need to see a doctor. Your body just isn't ready for food and since you have anorexia, your symptoms of the excuriating pain when eating sounds frightenly familiar. I dry heave when I have gone from severe restriction to attempting to eat more *normal things* and I have many other symptoms of GI distress.... very unpleasant - my body just seems to lose the ability to process certain foods I guess.

Gastritis is a common complication of anorexia - the stomach lining literally gets inflamed, which can make you V* when you try and eat.

Seriously... I understand where you are coming from. My eating disorder is so dominating in my life and I know what you are going through --- I am not "sick enough" for treatment (I'm normal weight), but the side effects and mental stuff I deal with daily are going to eventually kill me before I get to below average weight.
    FACEBOOK ME --

Thank you for the reply, im going to see my doctor in the morning to see what he thinks is best for me to start with .

The pain does get very bad when i eat too much so today i've had like half a slice of toast and a small bowl of cereal with only a tiny bit of milk on and see if that goes down ok.

Quote Originally Posted by xroofusx
    Thank you for the reply, im going to see my doctor in the morning to see what he thinks is best for me to start with .

The pain does get very bad when i eat too much so today i've had like half a slice of toast and a small bowl of cereal with only a tiny bit of milk on and see if that goes down ok.

You have to stretch your stomach back out. It is the most painful things in the world... My stomach shrinks and then goes back to a huge size semi-regularly, thanks to my sporatic binging (eewww!).
    FACEBOOK ME --

lol yeah it does, i spent two nights in hospital as the pain in my stomach got so bad, then i had an allergic reaction to maxalon as the doctors where giving me 10mg when im only meant to be taking 5 so i was having fits non stop through the night it was awfull..

Your complications related to your eating disorder sound very dominating in your life right now. Have you considered inpatient treatment so you could get the issues addressed in a medically safe environment? I mean, stretching the stomach and teaching the body it is okay to eat is hard. In addition to stretching the stomach, is there any chance the pains in the stomach are caused by the mental stress of eating more? My anxiety over food often makes me "lose my food" just because of the mental stress that food puts on my body. I would love to get that type of treatment, but it is so $$$ in the US with and without insurance.
    FACEBOOK ME --

I feel so much for you. I can feel your pain, and your very hard-core determination. You can do this!! You are a very strong person, I can sense that from your posts.

I had a bit of an eating disorder myself at 18ish, but it was all b/c of the emet. I KNEW I was too thin, ect. Your stomach has shrunk and your body is not used to food. BRAT sounds good, and that is something to work on. Baby steps.

I can understand wanting to be sick when you have that pain. It does make you feel better, even though it sounds weird to us emets.

BIG HUGS! I hope that you can stay strong, and continue with your strength. You will have ups and downs, but with support you will get through this.We are all here foryou!!

All the best, and you are in my thoughts.

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

You are so brave!
    I am not one to advocate drugs a lot but I have to tell you that I have had a lot success with Celexa to treat my anorexia. It has no side effects for me at all, and it just gives me an apetite, which as many of you will know, is precious.

Thank you so much for your replys, they mean so much to me . At the moment im still getting over the side effects of a overdose on maxalon from the doctors giving me too much, but im trying to keep myself busy and not think about it, please when you take anti emetics be very carefull and read the dosage carefully as i wouldnt want anyone to go through all of what happend last night. Im findind the cereal easy to have insted of toast and rice i seem to be taking well too. Thank you though for your replys there the things that keep me going

Hey , well just an update, im eating again now, my diet now is -

Breakfast - cereal - shreddies or fruit n fibre.

snack - Banana or an apple

Lunch - Healthy sandwhich - normally chicken and salad or tuna and some sort of salad.

snack - Chocolate bar or some biscuits.

snack - Grapes or an apple.

Dinner - toast with honey or jam on, so its quite light and easy to digest before i sleep.

Soon i will add a cooked meal in, but from just eating 4 biscuits a day, now to that, its made me feel a whole lot better! i can now get on a bus, go walking, go out, my ocd has calmed down, i have more energy and my face is filling out more, as at it got to the point my whole face was very thin and looked ill. I really want to thank you for all the support! you have helped me so much for telling me what things to start on and all the support! *hugs*

- Ruth xx