Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Im considering getting a therapist for this phobia because it has become the center of my life. I cannot have a good meal without freaking out and having a panic attack. Im just scared that they will try to induce v*ing. Has anyone here taken therapy that did not require you to induce v*???

any type of response is greatly appriciated, thanks

-vee Edited by: veebum
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

Yes, I'm currently doing cognitive behavioral therapy. I'm also doing exposure therapy, but it does not involve inducing v*. Check out the treatments forum, Sage posted a good hierarchy of exposure steps on there. Hers is pretty close to the one I'm using.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

The therapy to cure this phobia does not involve inducing vomiting. It's what kel (above) said.

If you skip down a few sections to the treatments forum and read all of the sticky posts there, it will help explain things.

Thanks for passing on the good advice guys!

Yes, a GOOD treatment program/therapist will not make you vomit or anything silly like that. I submit that it would be like asking someone afraid of flying to crash a plane in order to be cured, or a rape victim to have non-consentual sex again as a goal. Ridiculous. Don't let any therapist try to tell you anything different. Some may try, but either talk it out with them or move on to another. Interview therapists first to find out their methodology.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you.. like every single night... well every single DAY i have a really bad panic attack and its just to the point where I can't take it anymore.. I was eating dinner today.. and i almost broke down in tears because its just so painful to live like this...Like i hate how no one understands this phobia besides emets. I hate how I have to live like this. But i just want to thank all of you.. you guys give me the support I need..

Sage do you have an email where I can contact you??

Thanks everyone,
    -vee
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

You and sage are both in Canada. I wonder if you are anywhere close to each other. She treats people.

Quote Originally Posted by veebum
    Thank you.. like every single night... well every single DAY i have a really bad panic attack and its just to the point where I can't take it anymore.. I was eating dinner today.. and i almost broke down in tears because its just so painful to live like this...Like i hate how no one understands this phobia besides emets. I hate how I have to live like this. But i just want to thank all of you.. you guys give me the support I need..

Sage do you have an email where I can contact you??

Thanks everyone,
    -vee

i hope she does because its going to be hard explaining to someone who has never had this phobia before....Im crossing my fingers

Vee,

be sure to go to Treatments and read all the sticky posts at the top.

Here's the link for the INFO article: http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=1925&am p;am p;am p;PN=1

Go to the Treatments thread here for more general info: http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.