Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I have been on Lexapro for just over a month. I have just now read that it can cause weight gain. Since I started I have gained 9 pounds. However, I should mention that before I started I was probably underweight ( I am 6'2" man and I was 159 pounds) Also, I had no energy to work out before I was on it. Now that I feel better I am working out every day. So 168 pounds is a normal good weight for me, but what I worry about is if it is going to keep escalating. I am now, and have always been extremely health conscious. Haven't eaten fast food in over 6 years, high protein, lower carb diet... all whole grains... so I am hoping the weight I put on is muscle that I am putting back on since getting back in the gym.

Has anyone else who is now on lexapro or was ever on it experience this? I am wondering if it is more due to working out and eating more, or if it is the drug. Please any response or links to info about this would be greatly appreciated!

And by the way, since getting on lexapro my emet has not been nearly as bad as it was beforehand.

hi jon -

I am on Lexapro too and I love it, I can't remember the last time i felt so good. I gained a little bit of weight, but I think it was because I was feeling better and consequently eating more. I was also sickly and underweight before I went on it, so it wasn't too bad.

I am now overweight but not due to the Lexapro. I only gained probably 5 pounds or so on Lexapro. A few months back i started a new bc pill that really made me gain, but i just stopped taking it so hopefully I will lose the weight.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

You stated that you are able to work out everyday now since being on the lexapro for a month. They say that lexapro is one of the best ones as far as the weight gain goes. When you start working out, your body holds on to extra water weight and you may also be gaining muscle. I would give it another couple of months, especially if it is helping you. If you are lifting weights over cardio, then that is probably a good explanation for it.

It sounds like it is from the working out and not from the Lexapro. As the other poster said, Lexapro is one of the SSRI's that is least likely to cause significant weight gain.

Hey, all that working out--muscle weighs more than fat. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I've been on Lexapro like you , for a little over a month....and a bit on the "out of shape" side of the spectrum, and have been pleased that I have experienced absolutely NO WEIGHT GAIN, but rather I've lost 10 lbs. My doctor seems to think that is the stress reduction and my addiction to carb cravings (anxiety and depression both lead to carb cravings, and those BAD...yet oh so tasty carbs I mean) So from some one who's been shuffled through several meds, I have to say I have had the best luck with Lexapro.
    msn IM: Abbey_Normal