Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: work

for those of you who feel sick quite often, how do you deal with going to work? and feeling sick at work?
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

When I'm at work I try to keep myself busy, as I find that the busier I am the less time I have to focus on the fact that I may feel like ass. At most of my jobs I have brought or have access to a kettle, so I can make tea. Sipping on somethings usually calms my stomach, and does keep my hands occupied. If I start to feel warm, I'll head outside on break for a quick walk- the fresh air tends to cool me down/make me feel a bit better.

I usually go to work if I feel sick unless I am completely immobile/not able to leave the bathroom. If I have something that could potentially be contagious, I am more cautious about what surfaces I come in contact with, and mention it to those I may be working with if we are in close proximity.

I think you have to know your body, and know what you are capable of. I am sick often, and know when I am too sick to be able to function (which is rare- I usually prefer to tough it out). I don't have anxiety-induced nausea myself, but can see how that can be an issue and may lead to some 'false positives'. Unfortunately, one of the main ways you can tell if nausea was anxiety induced is if it goes away once you are out of the situation. Not very helpful until afterwards!

Are you asking because you are starting a new job and are nervous? Or is there something stressful (like the former boyfriend situation) which leads you to believe that you may end up nauseous at work?

(Yep, I know I'm nosey!)

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well yah im starting a job quite soon and just a guess nervous and dont wanna be looking like a physco there haha..this will be my first job..as im comin up on 18 and need to start saving to college soon..so it is kinda stressful. The boyfriend situation kinda lead me to get a job..to kinda keep my mind off of it and do things for myself. im jest scared of feeling sick there..and kinda having no way out..i rarely stay home either when i am feeling sick cause that just feeds the fear and im trying to not to that so much..usually i know the nausea is anxiety related if i start doing sumthing that takes my mind off it..the nausea leaves.. I just really want to start this job and i dont want nothing holding me back.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Well- are you someone who feels sick often? If you aren't, there is no reason to think that once at work all of a sudden you will start. If you are and are used to being out and about to keep your mind off it, just think of being at work as another way to keep occupied so you won't have to think about it.

That, and I know that when I'm having a rough time at work for various reasons, I always think of the positives that work allows me- having some disposable income, rent, FOOD (lol).

Just go in there with a positive attitude and the belief that you are going to be fine. That, and don't get overly discouraged if you hit little speedbumps along the way. I work with prisoners and ex-prisoners, and part of the problem I encounter is that many of them are willing to throw in the towel prematurely when it comes to work over things that end up being really insignificant. Whenever you panic about something work related, try to go to the bathroom, outside for a minute, etc. to collect your thoughts before you get yourself more worked up, or do/say something you may end up regretting.

So- where are you going to be working? You must be excited!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yah i feel sick often..maybe like twice a week usually at night but not as near as bad as it use to be, i know how to handle it better now. im going to be working at rogers video..so free movies [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img], plus i have a few friends that already work there so that will be a bit better..i know ill just be nervous the first couple of days so my sstomach will be up in knots!!..but after that, it should be fine.

p.s Where are you from in canada?

COOL! I am a complete movie-whore, and always wanted to work in a video store. That, and you are not handling food, you're mostly behind the counter, and it's pretty low stress. You are completely right - If you hang in there for the first few days you will probably be just fine!

At the moment I'm rockin' the Capital and trying to get the hell outta here! My love affair with Ottawa is officially OVER. So, where are you?

*amber*

Haha yah me too im a movie fanaticcc !!thats why i applied better then mcdonalds atleast god i would never ever work there that would be pure hell..Im in vancouver...ohh ottawa that must be beautiful there

Ewww....McDick's is McNasty.....Rogers is DEFINITELY the way to go for a first job.

I briefly worked at Tim Horton's a few years ago- that was enough of the food service industry for me@!

Ottawa right now is smelly, wet, muddy and gross- we're getting some very Vancouver-ish weather- rain for 3 days with the forecast calling for it for another few days! My hair has reached epic afro proportions.

I'm ready to pack up and leave!

Good luck on the job [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

*amber*

yah we have been havign wierd weather here, snow one day, sun the next then rain..hail ..haha yah were snowing right here now, its so beautiful, haha my hair gets sooo puffy too i hate it!! damn curly hair..i couldnt live without my straightner!!

I'm with ya- My Chi Flat Iron definitely qualifies as one of my most useful possessions. Everyone with straight hair wants curly hair- but are they prepared to care for it? It's actually easier for me to straighten it (which, when it's dry, takes 20 minutes), as opposed to waiting 3 hours for it to dry (blow dryers, even with diffusers, turn me into Pam Grier, Circa 1976).

*yawn*.....well, it's almost 4am here....so I should prolly make it to bed. Have an appointment at 10am [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

It was nice talking with you- and once again goodluck on the job!

*amber*

I think just about everyone gets nervous when starting a new job. I think the best thing to do is not allow yourself time to think about it (easier said than done, I know). The last couple of times I have changed jobs, I finished at the old place on a friday, and started at the new place on a monday, and organised the weekend inbetween to involve lots of family and friends to help keep my mind occupied.

In terms of starting work, my experience is that most employers are fairly kind to new employees - they accept that mistakes will be made and are forgiving when it happens. Also, if you don't know or understand something - ask for help. They don't expect you to know everything.

If you are still a bit anxious about it all, when you start, just make sure they show you where the bathroom/s are, and whenthe break times are. But I think you will be fine. Really. Once they start giving you stuff to do, your head won't have time to think about how anxious you are, and the day will fly. Good luck with it, and keep us updated on how it goes. I'll be praying for you.

I actually came close to quitting/getting fired from my job the first few months I was here because I called in sick and went home sick so often. I also was not able to go on some of the trips I needed to go on because I could not handle flying across the country. It was awful, I was so depressed and I never thought I was going ot be able to keep a job. Fortunately I got on Lexapro and it has made all the difference for me. I almost never get sick/nervous anymore.

You guys hit the nail on the head with being busy though. When i get really busy I don't have time to think about how I feel. I thikn that was part of my problem before with this job. I have a lot of time on my hands where I just have nothing to do, and that can never be good for an anxious emet!
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I feel sick a lot at work or my IBS acts up. Thank goodness, I just got a job that is very very fast-paced and busy all of the time, so I have no time to think about anything. Just keep yourself busy. If I'm really nauseated, I usually end up getting sick. There's nothing I can do about it, but if I'm panicking, I try to calm myself the best that I can. If it's out of control, which that is never the case, I'll just say I'm sick and go home, but I usually just stick it out. I had a bad one at my old job, but I stayed, and the panic went away. Put yourself in a different mind set. You'll be fine. Where did you get a job?
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Princess Mel, how do you deal with getting sick especially at work? Does it help your fear?

The other day I felt like I was going to do YOU KNOW WHAT at work. It was the worst feeling because I just want to be home when I am sick.

My boss suggested I go get fresh air. (they know..) And it really helped.

Also, just keep with you in your purse or whatever, everything you need that will help you along your way. I keep gum and water with me at all times.

\"This too shall pass\"

Its hard to deal with it!

I missed so many classes because of that. Suddenly I get panic attack and i MUST leave the school or I will die.

I actually find that when I feel sick it's almost always at night - and it's at least 3 or more nights a week. When I'm at work my mind is on other things and I very rarely feel sick at work. I swear it's all psychological!

Carolee - I've never actually gotten sick at work, but have had major d*. I know if I was to be sick, there's nothing I can do. I'm not one who can hold it for hours. There's no way. It's too painful.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.