Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was thinking about why it is so hard to cure emetophobia...and I realized there is a huge part of me afrai do fbeing cured, because if I am cured and not so aware of my phobi all th etime, then that could mean I could V* because I wouldn't be so careful...does that make sense to anyone?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I thought about being cured and not being cautious about where I go or who I'm around. But then I'll let my guard down and end up getting a sv and then I'll be right back here.
    All that we send into the lives of others,
    comes back into our own.

I actually think that that is the number one reason why we don't seek treatment and don't get better.

We're afraid to get better.

However, we should be excited about the prospect of getting over this phobia.

And the fact is that having a fear of vomit does not mean that a person is going to get sick any less. Worrying and anxiety are not preventing anyone from catching things. If anything, they contribute to a suppressed immune system.

And as has been said on here many times, non emetophobics do not vomit any more frequently than emetophobics. I know that we'd like to think that's true, but I don't think it is borne out by reality.

Secondly, the fear of being cured shows how much a cure is needed. It means that a person can't really see outside the box or past the blinders of the phobia. You cannot imagine not being afraid of vomit. But if you were cured, and you did happen to get sick, you would not be afraid. You won't like it, but you won't be crippled with anxiety. You'll have a better experience because you won't be crying and panicking and so on.

The thing to do is probably to enter treatment and take it one day at a time. Looking all the way forward to the end when the phobia is gone must certainly be too overwhelming sometimes. You would have to pass through a ton of experiences in therapy, and much time would pass before you reached the point of being better. By the time you got there, you would be ready, so it's not necessary to project all the way forward in time when you are still completely immersed in the phobia, and you can't really imagine what the new cured situation would be like.

Take things slowly [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Edited by: japa

does anyone know anything about promethizine?

If you are cured, you won't care if you vomit. right?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Evelyn, Promethizine is Phenergan, it is an anti-emetic that has been spoken about here quite a bit. You will find many threads about it.

I feel the same way. I'm scared I'll let my guard down when it comes to keeping everything around me clean and disinfected and increase my chances of getting sick. But, shiva is right, I guess I won't care so much if I v*!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

the idea of being ill without being thrown into a panic attack sounds very alluring to me.

you have to remember, as said above...
    just because you are being cautious and thinking about it all the time, doesnt really make you any less prone to catching things.
    it just means your mind is consumed with it .. and is no doubt making you feel ill even when you arent.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee
    I was thinking about why it is so hard to cure emetophobia...and I realized there is a huge part of me afrai do fbeing cured, because if I am cured and not so aware of my phobi all th etime, then that could mean I could V* because I wouldn't be so careful...does that make sense to anyone?

Yeah, I was reading about the therapy procedures for curing emetophobia, and one of the sessions is consisting seeing someone V*

Sorry to like say that, but it's true.

Where were you reading this? I don't think you have it correct.

If you did watch someone vomit as part of exposure therapy, it would only be once you had been through so many other steps that it would not be scary for you to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pawn shop heart

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee

Yeah, I was reading about the therapy procedures for curing emetophobia, and one of the sessions is consisting seeing someone V*

Sorry to like say that, but it's true.

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!

I think that I could not live without this phobia- simply I will not know how. And I want to be cure, but one part of me dont! And I want to kill that part, because its hard to live life like ours, emets.

Yes, this sort of thinking "makes sense" in the phobic way of making sense - lol! Let me put to rest for everyone that I've been cured of the fear of vomiting myself for about 20 years, and have only vomited once in that time, when VERY VERY ILL with chemotherapy, and the experience was a big fat nothing that didn't matter to me in the least. In fact, I wondered why the hell I had given up so many billions of hours of my life to worrying about it! Even in the past 4 years of being totally completely anxiety-free...I don't lead some sort of filthy disease-ridden lifestyle. I'm still clean and I don't eat chili that's been out on the counter all night or anything. I don't get sick any more or less than when I was phobic.

But others have alluded to the real point: your worst problem is NOT the fact that you might vomit one day. Your worst problem is ANXIETY - the fear of it! THIS is what you want to stop...(honestly, you do - you just don't know that you do - lol) You don't realy want to stop vomiting. Vomiting is just normal and natural and slightly unpleasant but over in 10 seconds anyway.

The thing is, to help yourself from having your whole life ruined by this phobia, it's important to keep telling your brain the real truth. That is, that it's NOT logical to think you need to have a debilitating phobia forever in order not to get sick, and that somehow you're better off in this life with a horrible anxiety disorder. That makes no sense. One part of your brain (the fear part) is fighting like hell to tell another part of your brain (the logical part) that you MUST STAY AFRAID in order to protect yourself. In order to be cured of the phobia, the logical part of your brain has to learn to "speak louder" than the fear part. [for those of you interested in the science, the fear part = the amygdala and the logical part = the neocortex]

Liz28 is right on! Your goal is to have no anxiety, then whether you're sick or not, you'll be experiencing nothing but peace, tranquility and joy!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey - since this question comes up a lot, I think I'll copy it to a sticky post and call it "sage advice"

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I totally understand where everyone is coming from. I wish I was born without emetophobia because as much as I want to live a normal life without any restraints, I dont want not to be afraid because i think I will get it. But I wont be afraid so it wont matter. It is like a circle pattern that I cant get off of.

Yes you can!!!!!!!!!!

You can get off this circle. Start thinking that way and it will help. I got off, my clients get off, many others on this website and world-wide get off - why not you?

Oh Sage, You are soooo right! I often ponder how it would be so cool to "just v*" like everyone else who is not afraid. I see my students come tell me they need to go to the restroom to v* or that they have v* already and they tell me so nonchalantly. I always tell myself, "you see, why can't you have the same attitude as your students?" I'm not afraid of the what if I have to v* several times in the future. I am just focusing on the darn anxiety that consumes me. I know I'm only afraid of what if I v*. I wish I that if I knew I was supposed to get a sv 10 times in my whole lifetime, that I could get ill w/o fearing it. This is my goal--not to stop v*. Right now, I do stop v* at all costs--taking Phenergan, distracting tactics, praying etc., but I wish I could just do it if I had to in order to feel better. Sage, I have a question. Since I've been consuming myself thinking about all this for months, I've lately had dreams vivid dreams where I believe I experienced the real thing and I v* in the dream. When I wake up, I feel like I have gained the experience of knowing what it's like to v* w/o actually going through it. I hope this makes sense. Don't think I did it in my sleep and didn't notice. What does this mean? Why if I have this fear, would I dream of going through it so vividly and in the dream, I did not panic AT ALL. I saw myself fine, surviving it and knowing somewhere in me that I had this fear but somehow it wasn't present. I experienced v* in the dream and remember telling myself in the dream, "you see, it wasn't nearly as bad as you have been dreading all these years." Of course when I woke up, I had an immediate major scale 10 panic attack. I took it as a sign that my body was needing to do it and had to communicate this to me in the dream so I could wake up and get to the restroom. That was my logical response to the dream. Thinking that this was going to happen, I panicked and had to take Xanax w/ Phenergan to relax, reduce nausea that I believe I brought on and sedate myself again w/o a problem. The next time I woke up about an hour or two later, I had kind of forgotten about the earlier dream some but still believe that I was given like a sneak preview through my dream. What do you analyze from this? Where do I stand? How ready am I to attack this? or what is my body telling me?

I hope that you can attend the International conference for counselors in Canada because my present counselor went this morning and I called her to tell her to inquire about emetophobia w/ others at the conf. Let me know if you will be there so I can have her meet you at the conf and you can help her understand this because I feel shewould like to learnmore about the successful treatments and approaches to use. This was new to her, but she is very receptive to info. She is just into the research found in the counseling journal articles and not many if any, were found. Please help. Private email me if you will be attending. I can also let you know where it will be held starting today for registration and ending Sat. I believe.

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

Hi Pumpkin,

I'm not much of an analyst, although I did do a Ph.D. in Jungian psychology - but I never finished the dissertation cuz I got cancer - also it wasn't in clinical psychology. Oh well! I would look at your dream as a good sign - that you're processing (working out) the information subconsciously cuz you can't do it consciously without panicking. So if you have this dream again, there's no need to panic when you wake up - it's not "telling you" you're sick at all. It's just processing your fear.

Your counsellor can read the article I wrote - on the Treatments thread at the top (sticky post) called INFO to give your dr. family...there's everything she needs in there to get informed . Print it out and give it to her to read.

I'm not sure what conference you're talking about - I haven't heard of it...but then again Canada is a big place and most Americans don't realize that...lol. (Did you know that Canada is the largest country in the world?) ...so the conference could well be almost 10,000 miles from me!

Anyway, thanks for the info. I hope your counsellor has a good time and learns some stuff.

REMEMBER that it's not important if she knows much about emetophobia. The therapist who successfully treated me didn't know squat about emetophobia.

<<<<<Did you know that Canada is the largest country in the world?>>>>>

Sorry, being a big geography geek I have to correct you here. Canada is actually the second largest country in the world, after Russia.

1. Russia: 17,075,200 km<SUP>2</SUP>

2. Canada: 9,984,670 km<SUP>2</SUP>

3. United States: 9,631,418 km<SUP>2</SUP>

I know, I know.....a complete nitpick and in no way related to the topic. Sorry!

*amber*

Ah yes, Amber! Thank you. I think at one point, when the USSR first broke up, Canada was the largest. But Russia is indeed huge, eh? Of course, most of Canada is uninhabitable - ha ha...but still it's farther across from east to west than the USA, and many Americans don't realize that. It takes a week to go from coast to coast, and that's totally booting it and driving at least 12 hours a day.

Yep- Russia is a beast! lol

&lt;&lt;&lt;It takes a week to go from coast to coast, and that's totally booting it and driving at least 12 hours a day.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Trust me- I know! WHen my boyfriend moved back to Ottawa from California we came up with the bright idea of driving him and all his stuff from Fresno- and instead of taking the hypotenuse, we decided to drive Fresno-Vancouver-Ottawa. It took us a week and a half, and I honestly have to admit that I am never driving through BC again. SCARIEST DRIVE EVER. It's great when you see signs that say "killer highway- next 20 km"- gives you the warm fuzzies really.

I wanted to continue on to the East Coast, just so I can say that I drove ALL the way across Canada- but he gave me a dirty look and I shut up [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

*amber*

Ok, here's my take on being afraid to get better.

I do not feel that I am the irrational one, I feel like shaking nonchalant people's shoulders and waking them up - "SV's feel like death!! They are painful!!"

Why wouldn't I want to avoid them at all costs? It has been said on here that some folks casually v*, like it isn't that traumatic - this has never been the case for me. Completely aside from the anxiety, the physical symptoms of sv make me want to die.

They are also highly contagious.

Don't get me wrong, I know my ways are flawed in that, to me, every little tummy rumble or pale-complected person is suspect, but I am so afraid that therapy would mean learning to accept that I may get a sv, and just deal with it as a normal part of disease-ridden human life. I DONT WANT TO GET SICK, EVER!!!

I'd sooner pray for a vaccine against all sv's than seek to be "cured".

Pretty messed up, huh?Edited by: nyxy

Quote Originally Posted by nyxy

Ok, here's my take on being afraid to get better.

I do not feel that I am the irrational one, I feel like shaking nonchalant people's shoulders and waking them up - "SV's feel like death!! They are painful!!"

Why wouldn't I want to avoid them at all costs? It has been said on here that some folks casually v*, like it isn't that traumatic - this has never been the case for me. Completely aside from the anxiety, the physical symptoms of sv make me want to die.

They are also highly contagious.

Don't get me wrong, I know my ways are flawed in that, to me, every little tummy rumble or pale-complected person is suspect, but I am so afraid that therapy would mean learning to accept that I may get a sv, and just deal with it as a normal part of disease-ridden human life. I DONT WANT TO GET SICK, EVER!!!

I'd sooner pray for a vaccine against all sv's than seek to be "cured".

Pretty messed up, huh?

I understand you completely!! The only this I want is to not have emet hinder any activities that I should be able to enjoy. I will never let my guard down for an SV* to attack, but would like to not have it eter my mind when it absolutely doesn't have to and doesn't apply to the activity I want to participate in. I don't wanna worry unnecessarily.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

The only problem with your thinking, nyxy, is that therapy won't cause you to get a virus and get sick. So whether you're cured of anxiety, or whether you're still anxious, you're EQUALLY susceptible to a virus! I have been cured of the fear of being sick myself for 20 years. I have vomited no less, no more in that time. Like...once in the last 20 years, in fact.

So being cured will NOT make you "more sick". It will only take away your hellish anxiety that is ruining your life. Your thinking is in NO WAY preventing you from being sick. Avoidance is just FEAR - pure and simple. It offers no protection whatsoever. People who are mildly vigilant to hand-washing and such are just not very often sick - that's the facts! If you practice basic food-safe behavior and hand-washing (that's normal, not obsessive) then you'll only get sick every 20 or 30 years, and from some weird obscure reason anyway.

I'm only harping on this cuz I hate to see people suffering from anxiety for EVER for no reason...it just doesn't make sense.

I hope you can see your way through to get some help.

Also...I know you FEEL this way now (and I remember it) but stomach-viruses are not like death ...lol. Not in reality. Sickness of any kind is nasty and not nice and we persevere through it. But it's not like death. That's your phobic brain playing tricks on you.

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    So whether you're cured of anxiety, or whether you're still anxious, you're EQUALLY susceptible to a virus! I have been cured of the fear of being sick myself for 20 years. I have vomited no less, no more in that time. Like...once in the last 20 years, in fact.

So inspiring, Sage! I wish with all my heart I could make myself think like that. I can see it's logical, but I can'tget it into my head!

But you know, it's so true! Up until I joined this forum, I didn't know what emetophobia was, and only every few months I would get a sudden panic attack, not half as bad as the ones I get now. I wouldn't even *think* about v*ing for weeks and weeks on end, I'd eat anything, from anywhere - yet I didn't get sick, not once. I had the fear, I just didn't think about it, and therefore it didn't rule my life. I really, really yearn for those days again...ignorance was bliss. Now I think knowing I have a phobia has made it worse, and it's so upsetting to know I have gone downhill since finding out about it...sometimes I think this site is a blessing and a curse in one, lol!

Does any of that make any sense?? I do have confidence that I can get back to the way I was, though - being healthy and carefree, but minus all this worry. I just need to find a way to do it.

Sage, you're living proof that it can be done!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"