Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

(MAY BE GRAPHIC!)

I know that often people who have emetophobia actually v* then say it's not too bad, the next day they go back to fearing it. But it's been a week or so since I had stomach flu. Today, at lunch time at TAFE, some friends bought a massive gallon of milk and offered me $45 if I drunk it, they know I'm emet and made fun of it, butI sort of laughed with them.

Anyway, I was in the spirit of things for once and thought, well, what the heck, see how I go. Everyone was expecting me to freak out, but I hadn't drunk or ate all day so I lifted the bottle and sculled as much as I could. I eventually reached the bottom with about 3 drops remaining in the bottle. "FINISH IT!" they all chanted. I thought well, it's all gonna go anyway, and finished it.

For about 45 seconds, I thought I had actually held it in. My friends held their breath, waiting. Then I began coughing like crazy, and, with almost no warning, lost the WHOLE gallon in just 1 go!!! It must've lasted about 5 seconds. I almost suffocated but I had never v* or seen someone v* for 5 seconds. If anything, I was laughing like crazy, trying to catch my breath. Sure, the 45 second wait was tense, but man, that last part, was kinda funny.

If anything, I'm only worried about getting food poisoning sickness now because it lasts 2 weeks. Sure I hated the feeling of it, but I knew it was over.

I feel odd. Like I've turned a corner, like I've grown up more or accomplished something with my life or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rough

I feel odd. Like I've turned a corner, like I've grown up more or accomplished something with my life or something like that.

I never thought I would hear a gallon of milk challenge and the words "grown up" in the same post. But congratulations or something?

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hehe, thanks, but as in grown up, I sort of meant to say grown out of the phobia, but I can't really say that because there are 30 year olds, etc that have it.

Wow, it does sound like you have done a good job with your emet...i can imagine drinking a whole gallon of milk and then losing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am happy that you have turned a new leaf and are feeling better about your fears....i can understand, i too, think i have come to a new revalation....i won't say i am completely over it, but i do feel better about things now for some odd reason. I am almost 40 though, and i don't know if it's an age thing or what? How old are you? Just curious...but congrats on accomplishing something so few of us might be able to do[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hmm, I just read a forum question about "sillygirl" who's husband ate bad meat. The next day, he got all the symptoms I got when I got gastroenteritis, somehow, reading THAT particular thing scared me, the sulphur burp, the d*, but he didn't v*. Then again, the burp is the worst bit for me, the v* is nothing!

So, I guess maybe I'm just afraid of the illness but if I catch it, I can handle it [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone on this site for the support!

I hope I can get over my fear too. It would be the greatest thing in the world.

I wish you the absolute best in doing so. Problem is, I don't know what to actually to do stop it. although this is what I ended up doing:

Because of my OCD to study anything that shocks/scares me, I really pumped the net for info on food poisoning, viral illness, everything that can make someone sick. Then I ended up looking up stuff on www.ratemyvomit.com to see the reactions of others. Most people didn't look like they were enjoying it (as no-one would).

Makes you wonder why bullimics do it so much. Hey, just thought of something, an emetophobic bullemic. Would they still induce v*??

i don't think you've overcome emet, i think you have LOST IT! lol jj, congrats, i could never do anything like that so well done!

jen

<font color=GREEN>
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>

Once again, thank you kindly. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

even though I fear vomit more than anything, your story made me laugh because that is just craaaazy haha, good job though, but i dont think it is the best plan for most people to get over their emetophobia haha

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rough
    I wish you the absolute best in doing so. Problem is, I don't know what to actually to do stop it. although this is what I ended up doing:

Because of my OCD to study anything that shocks/scares me, I really pumped the net for info on food poisoning, viral illness, everything that can make someone sick. Then I ended up looking up stuff on www.ratemyvomit.com to see the reactions of others. Most people didn't look like they were enjoying it (as no-one would).

Makes you wonder why bullimics do it so much. Hey, just thought of something, an emetophobic bullemic. Would they still induce v*??

I've wondered about that too. I doubt someone who was emet could be bulimic- unless they weren't afraid of v- themse;lves just afraid of others v-. Or they could not be afraid od d- and take a lot of laxitives or something like that.

I don't think that people who suffer from bulimia actually like v- either. If they have been bulimic for a long time, it is rather painful and unplesant for them. However, it's less about wanting to v- and more of a control issue. In the eyes of a bulimic, fat if their worst fear, as is being out of control. They control what they binge on, what they v-, when they v-, and how much they v-. And they think that the removal of the food is stopping them from becoming fat.

I could NEVER be Bullemic (I lived with one though...once when I was in a group home and my sister went through a period of time where she was bullemic) But I guess you could be bullemic and be an emet...Like Kristi425 said, it's a control issue.

As for downing a gallon of milk, I freakin HATE milk! I can barely drink a glass of it let alone a WHOLE GALLON! Did you get the 45 bucks? LoL...I might be tempted to do something stupid like that for 40 or 50 bucks...LoL!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Yeah I got the money. They were laughing so hard and just handed it over.

Also, I guess I mistated the title. I haven't completely overcome it (I guess I wrote it because I was proud) but I guess I meant to say I managed to v* and not worry about it.

If I was to drink another gallon of milk and v* it back up again for money, I would if it was worth it, of course, I don't favour the feeling nor did I fear it, however, my fear of food-poisoning still remains fresh. It is like in this document I read "Emetophobia = a fear of no help being available." because my mom, being a nurse, said there was no cure or anything to help me get through the week of poisoning but she failed to tell me about antibiotics.

So my fear of no help being available remains yet to be able to feel the sensation of v* again without panicking is a step towards overcoming it isn't it? I mean, the day after I aqquired the phobia from poisoning, I swore that if I EVER v* again, even just once, I would kill myself (and I still keep a razor under my pillow but never really intend to use it)

Did you v* in front of other people? Suppose there was another emet in the room. Sorry, but what you did was completely inconsiderate to anyone with emetophobia. Good for you for "curing" yourself but don't forgot.... There are other people out there with the emet that might not be as strong as you. Drinking a gallon of milk just to get sick IS sick. And they only paid you $45? You're a chump. Sorry!
    instant messenger-aggiecrafts

Everything happens for a reason

I actually go to an ED website as part of support for my friend and on there I found a few emetophobic bulimics. I was actually amazed They tend to focus on over exercise and laxitive abuse rather than the V* side to it. There were also emets who have anorexia because of this illness and are too scared to eat.Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by beadgirl
    Did you v* in front of other people? Suppose there was another emet in the room. Sorry, but what you did was completely inconsiderate to anyone with emetophobia. Good for you for "curing" yourself but don't forgot.... There are other people out there with the emet that might not be as strong as you. Drinking a gallon of milk just to get sick IS sick. And they only paid you $45? You're a chump. Sorry!

I don't think someone with emet would be there if they were paying him to do this. Think about it...would you pay someone to drink a gallon of milk as fast as they could to watch then v-? No sensible emet would be involved with this at all.

I assure you, there were no emets around, this was in the toilets and the people I were with wanted to see me hurl. I was kinda stupid for not thinking about it (say an emet walked in) but meh. I was a little desperate for cash.