Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all,

My post is twofold. I want to ask you all a question and also share a triumph. Basically, two nights ago, I didn't take my birth control pill. I have been on them for about 5 years, starting to regulate periods, etc, but now, I do have sex, so it's a bonus! Anyway, I have never missed one before, but last night when I went to take one, I realized that I did not take one the night before. Now, I am not too worried about being pregnant, since I did not have sex since the missed pill, but I wasn't sure what to do. I read the insert, which said to take it as soon as you remember (meaning two at a time then) and that it might make you feel sick to your stomach. Obviously, I freaked! I was crying, didn't know what to do. I called one pharmacist who said I have to take two and that it might make me sick, you never know. After more hysterics, I called another pharmacist. This is the one I may complain to. She told me, and I quote, "You WILL throw up, but you have no choice. You have to take it." Needless to say, the crying fest continued! I called my stepmom who told me that she had done it many times and was never sick from it. With my boyfriend's support, I got my courage up and did it. I took both. (Here's the triumph part.) My bf is afraid of stinging insects, so I told him it would be like someone telling him you have no choice, you have to go in that beehive and you WILL get stung. He was so sweet and understanding and proud of me for being brave.

SUPER long story short, I did NOT get sick! Of course I felt nauseous (probably in my head), but never got sick (and I hope I won't at this point...took them almost 12 hours ago). My stepmom thinks I should file a complaint to the Walgreens that told me that stuff. What do you all think?

Thanks for listening, and sorry so long!!

MaryEdited by: harmonygirl72
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Hi Harmony,

You poor thing. What a traumatic experience.

I wouldn't file any sort of complaint, because pharmacists are required by law to instruct you for the sake of your health. Your question was about birth control pills, not a phobia so far as I can tell. And while you may not have had sex since the missed pill, sperm can live several days in your fallopian tubes just hanging around waiting for you to ovulate. So that's what she meant by "no choice". Of course you HAD choice, but the choice was to risk pregnancy. If she hadn't been so clear and you had NOT taken the pill and gotten pregnant, THEN you might be able to file a complaint too that she had not been clear or firm enough. That would be more damages (20 years of raising a kid) than the damage you suffered (1 day of freaking out).

Put it behind you as far as projecting your emotion onto the pharmacist, but be comfortable enough FEELING your feelings - anger, fear, sadness, shame. It was a terrible, terrible experience and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Feel your feelings, but don't project them. That will make them stay longer anyway.

If it ever happens again, go to an emergency room and demand a strong anti-emetic to go WITH the 2 pills, because of your PHOBIA. That makes more sense.

And I'm so glad you were able to do it. Awesome.

Have you thought of a birth control patch? (My daughter changed to the patch after 1 month of forgetting a pill - it freaked her out for a different reason)

Take care,
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think I woulddefinatly file a complaint, probably not a harsh one but just to the head pharmacist maybe about what you were told so they can be a bit more careful.

She was very wrong is saying that. I've missed birth controll pills before and had to take two and nothing happened not even nausea. That would definatly make me angry, she flat out lied. The proper response would have been like"there is a warning that it could make you ill but its un-likely, you make have some slight nausea"

Edited by meEdited by: lucinda

I don't think the pharmacist was incompentent, maybe she was speaking on past experiences with other patients who took 2 at once. What I dont get is, if she said you were going to throw up, what if the pills weren't fully dissolved yet, then it would have been pointless. Either way, I'm glad you didn't get ill.
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by babygap5

I don't think the pharmacist was incompentent, maybe she was speaking on past experiences with other patients who took 2 at once. What I dont get is, if she said you were going to throw up, what if the pills weren't fully dissolved yet, then it would have been pointless. Either way, I'm glad you didn't get ill.

I guess incompetant is too strong of a word, sorry I didn't mean to throw around strong words. I think I was just innitally shocked by the "You WILL throw up comment". I know it's best to advise of all possible reactions (and I agree with that) I just think it was wrong to say that to someone calling for help when it's untrue.

Thanks for your responses. I especially appreciate you taking the time to respond, Sage, as I know you only usually respond to posts about treatments, etc. I think you are right, I won't file a complaint, as it will only project and prolong my emotion. Lucinda, I agree that she was wrong ( maybe not incompetent), but I will just let it go.I am mostly proud of myself that I took it anyway, knowing the risks.

Thanks again for responding!

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by harmonygirl72

Thanks for your responses. I especially appreciate you taking the time to respond, Sage, as I know you only usually respond to posts about treatments, etc. I think you are right, I won't file a complaint, as it will only project and prolong my emotion. Lucinda, I agree that she was wrong ( maybe not incompetent), but I will just let it go.I am mostly proud of myself that I took it anyway, knowing the risks.

Thanks again for responding!

Mary

Its great how positive you have been, Good for you That is a great triumph, I know I would have been a wreck after hearing what the parmacist said.

Thanks, lucinda! Believe me, I WAS a wreck!

Mary

I agree that she was simply doing her job by telling you that you had
    not choice but to take the double dosage, but her telling you that you
    will throw up is a little rediculous. Unless your taking a drug that is
    specifically an emetic she doesn't know that you WILL for certain throw
    up.

Ihave taken two at a time so many times, never been sick from it! ya that was really harsh of her to say you would be sick like it was inevitable, but way to go for taking it anyways!!

Thanks, guys. I agree with both of you. She should not have said it like there was no way that I could avoid getting sick. And, Carolee, where were you last night when I needed someone to tell me they have done that and NOT gotten sick! Haha, thanks for responding!

Mary

so glad you didn't get ill. I can understand why you were such a wreck tho. I'm lucky with my pill that if I miss one I just take another month without a break. However, I'm prone to dropping them so I have a spare pack to take the odd pill when I drop one rather than not stopping......I do appologise - that probably made NO sense.

[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

Thanks, chloe, and no noeed to apologize. I'm pretty sure I get what you mean!

Mary