Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hope?

Hey All,

So I was lying in my bed lastnight, and I noticed a spider on my ceiling. It was working hard on a web, and it was pretty facinating watcing it work. Then I remembered how I used to be absolutely terrified of spiders when I was young. Even as a teenager. I would sleep in another room if I knew one was in my room, and would have trouble doing that. I used to stand across the room and throw shoes at the wall, crying my eyes out. It was pretty severe. Anyway. My point is that I had a phobia of spiders, and through time it just sort of faded away. Hmmm.. Maybe there is hope that this will pass too? I am 36, and have been an emet all my life. But you never know, right?

--Kim

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I think there is always room for hope. Hope is what gets us through all the rough times.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Kim, funny you should bring this up....i will be 40 in July, and i was just thinking about everything for about a week now, and for some strange odd reason, i feel almost, not like i am completely over this fear, but a sense of settleing...if you know what i mean...don't get me wrong, i will probably freak or panic if I or my kids or hubby gets sick....but i don't think i am quite as bad as i used to be....in fact my youngest son, who is 12, was not feeling this am and i let him stay home from school b/c he had an upset stomach...no v...no d.....just didn't feel well...i fed him some breakfast.........b/c he wanted to see if he would feel better...all the while i was thinking...well if he gets sick...he just does...and that was that.....i didn't freak, my heart did not pound...i didn't reach for my xanax...nothing....I hope to God that i am getting alittle better anyway. Now if this happened in the middle of the night, it might be a diff. story...but i honestly think that as you age.....not that we're ancient but i think it might just get a little easier to hanle...or it just sort of fades away a bit...i don't know. What do you think?
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hey Kate,

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. Since I have gotten older, everything does seem a little easier. Like you said, if faced with it, it could be severe. But the day to day stuff has gotten a bit easier to take. You did great with your son! Good for you.. I have spent my life staying away from situations in which I may be exposed to sickeness, including having kids. I just dont think I would handle it well, so I never even considered having them. I take my hat off to the emet Moms out there. You are very brave women!

--Kim

Hope is the only thing that we have....

Well, I know anxiety disorders in generally usually subside with age...once you get into your "retirement years" many women who once had panic attacks and whatnot jsut don't get them anymore...so even though 50 is a long way off for me yet, I am looking forward to it!
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I am going through therapy and homeopathic techniques and I cant seem to get through this. I am 21 and have been going through emetophobia for as long as I can remember. I hate feeling so restrained from EVERYTHING and the guilt of not being able to take care of the ones I love is terrible. Not to mention that I live in fear every day.

However, I'm praying for the chance to get through this. Hope is always possible, I just feel like it's not probable.

What does Xanex do?

I know what you mean...I am the same way...and with burps
    too.....and now it doesn't bother me and my boyfriend was just telling
    me that maybe it will change and I wont be afraid anymore. It is so
    great and supportive. I love him so much.
    I love Sam

I'm 21 and my phobia has only gotten worse! I mean when I was younger (In my teens and before) All I feared was someone ELSE getting sick, not myself. I didn't monitor my food and drink I basically ate whatever I wanted and never worried about it.

Then about two years ago I started to freak out about ME actually V*ing! I don't know where it came from or why but it started to freak me out so bad! Now I'm like a nervous wreck all the time! But tonight I'm going to go out (Even though it's St. Patricks day and there will be A LOT of drunk people) But I'm going to face it! I want to go out and have a good time! Consequences be DAMNED!

I have hope that this will fade!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Good for you Monica, sometimes you just have to get pissed at your phobia and tell it to f off. Getting angry works pretty well for me!

Have fun out tonight, have a green beer and you'll feel so good you won't even think about it. I think I will do the same, but I am going ot have a cosmo!
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

To all of you....i think my emet was at it's worst through my 20's.........really...it still gets me sometimes...but like i said...when my son was alittle off the other day, i was alittle nervous, but i made myself think rationally...slow thinking...ok, if he gets sick...he's at home...and that's good....ok if he gets sick...he's near a bathroom, and that's good....i just had to talk to myself....and when he told me his belly hurt again alittle while after he ate...i said ok then chew these pepto pills and see if that helps...and they did....but now if he had of gotten sick....i don't know...i know i would have been a bit panicky but i don't know how bad i would have gotten. I always keep my xanax handy...but i really try not to take them except at night before i go to sleep. Rarely do i take them during the day. I have in the past though.

Monica...go on out tonight and have a good time....at least if those drunk people do V...you know it's from drinking too much....and you know it just takes small steps in this crap to really get through it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why in the hell anyone would have this phobia...it'sthe weirdest thing in the world...to be scared of a normal bodily function...i just make myself mad trying to figure it all out. I hate it...despise it...but hopefully it will not be with us our entire lives.........

Sweetied....xanax is a wonder from god.....it makes you relax...not panic...i love it.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"