Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Eggs

I'm planning on making a cheesecake next week for a dinner party and the receipe says that it includes 1 x egg white. The cheesecake doesn't get cooked but put in the fridge. Does anyone know whether it is the egg white or the egg yolk that can make you sick if uncooked?

Thanks
    Will this last forever????

I'm pretty sure it's both.

At some stores you can find pasturized egg whites. Or you could always
    find another recipe. There's plenty of cheesecake recipes out there
    which are cooked and are just as yummy. I can't really imagine
    non-cooked cheesecake actually. Wouldn't it be kind of runny?

I have eaten a lot of things with raw/semi-raw eggsin it (cake batter, egg nog, breakfasts, smoothies, etc.) and it hasn't made me sick yet. I'm not all that convinced of the danger in healthy individuals consuming them but hey, I'm no expert. Here is some literature I found online.
    <<Raw Egg Whites Although it is possible for Salmonella to be in both the white and the yolk of the egg, the white does not readily support bacterial growth. Cold soufflés, mousses, and chiffons containing raw beaten whites require refrigeration to maintain their character, and added safety factor. Such dishes might be considered low risk for healthy individuals.
    For further safety, combine the whites with the sugar in the recipe (using a minimum of 2 tablespoons of sugar per white) and beat over hot water or over low heat in a heavy saucepan until the whites stand in soft peaks. Without sugar, the whites will coagulate too rapidly and produce an unsatisfactory meringue.>>
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/RawEggs.htm
    *amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with others, just find another recipe. I can send you some links to some yummy ones if you would like I'm currently collecting recipes.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've never made a cheesecake with an egg in it - of course I always get the Jello box mixes that re just powder, LOL. But they still make a damn good cheesecake!!!
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Find something without that eggs, you will be calm, and everyone happy [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Thanks all.

Can anyone recommend an alternative cheeksecake recipe then? I have looked on some websites but none appeal

Thanks
    Will this last forever????

I am not sure but PM purpleteacher she has recipes.