Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello to anyone who comes on her, it was me on the itv programme This Morning!! Yes the picture that i have of me is when my dentures used to fit!! so if anyine saw the programme and maybe wants a chat regarding the addiction or our shared phobia then you can get in touch with me on my email::

[email protected]

so please feel free to contact me anytime, as i am trying my damned hardest to help myself as well as others!!!!
    take care and DONT EAT MINTS!!!! unless of course you want to end up looking like me!! The pic is me with dentures!! i actually have only 3 teeth left!!

Hi!

You were so brave! I don't think I could have gone on TV to talk about my emet, so well done! Are they offering you any help behind the scenes? Thanks for raising the profile of this horrible phobia!

Fiona x

I wiil never talk about emet on tv, you are brave!

Good job![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

i have pmed you but just to say well done!! i thought the dentist was damn mean to you!!! i have so much respect for you

hi all, i am hoping to be in the media again shortly to discuss emetophobia and the consequences of having it, obviously for us and for our friends and family.

I will make more people aware of the cost this phobia has in our lives.

I wouldnt say i was brave, as it was VERY hard for me to go there to even hear it being mentioned, however i have jumped over one hurdle as usually in a situation like that i would of took one of my anti-s* pills, but i didnt!!!!! I am very proud of myself for that!

So peeps keep a look out for me in the future!!!!
    take care and DONT EAT MINTS!!!! unless of course you want to end up looking like me!! The pic is me with dentures!! i actually have only 3 teeth left!!

i thought you were brave because you tackled so many difficult subjects e.g. phobia, addiction, anxietys over appearance, surgery etc...you really tackled the situation well

Unfortunately I was at work so missed the programme (my Dad however mentioned it to me, he is only one of two people that know about my phobia)

I think its fab thatyou want to bring this to the attention of others, the scary thing is I think this is actually a really common phobia in the Uk but not one that is discussed much.

I look forward to hearing more from you on here.

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I just sent you a PM. I thought I was the only one with teeth problems due to this phobia. I'm sure a dentist would be willing to pull all of my teeth and give me dentures, but fortunately, they are able to save them with crowns and bridges. Were they not able to do that with you? A total cost of $30,000 if not more. It's terrible what this stupid phobia can do to a person, and it's sad that a lot ofdoctors out there have never heard of it. It really is. Good for you for going on the show. I hope to hear from you soon. Melanie
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I want to say a huge thank you for being so brave and going live on national tv and talking about the phobia we all share. I am really annoyed with myself as i was off work yesterday and usually watch daytime tv when i am off but had to go to my Godsons first birthday party! You should be so proud of yourself,especially for not taking an anti s* tablet, i am still finding hard to wean myself off of them for normal daily life, so lord knows what my tum would have felt like if ihad been in your shoes on Friday!

Well done and keep the fight going, we desperately need more awareness of thisdebhilitating phobia, you are an inspiration!

Trinity

Hmmm... I feel dumb. Why would emetophobia cause teeth problems???

One reason could be b/c if a person feels n* all of the time they are going to suck on mints constantly. Or in my case and this is kind of hard to explain, but it first started in third grade. You know when sometimes you get those feelings like you are going to be sick, for example, watery mouth or whatever? I would get and still get this feeling in my mouth where I feel like I'm going to gag. It's not as bad now b/c I know that it is just anxiety, but it was before and plus I didn't know what it was. Well, for some reason, by sucking on mints or any hard candy or even chewing gum or having some kind of candy in my mouth, relaxed my facial muscles. I know this sounds weird, but it helps me. Gagging and the feeling that leads up to it is the worse for me. I always had candy in my mouth. Another thing that happened too was I knew I had been putting all of this candy in my mouth, so I would vigorously brush my teeth three times a day, and I guess I brushed too hard b/c it wore my tooth enamel down on some of my back teeth. I know this sounds weird. I hope no one thinks I'm weird, but I think this has been the worst symptom I got from this phobia.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Yea, I used to suck on hard boiled lollies when I was stressing about feeling s*, but fortunately, don't seem to have had any huge dental problems as a result (I have afew fillings, and maybe I have brushed a little too hard sometimes, wearing the gums down a bit, but nothing my dentist is overly worried about).

I had never really considered the consequences of this phobia on the other parts of my body. Thanks for summing up enough courage to go on TV to discuss these problems and raise awareness.

hi all, first of all thank you so much much for all the support. And yes it was very nerve wrecking for me, but i had a close friend behind the cameras that i could see if i felt overwelmed. If anyone would like to see what i looked like before i lost all my teeth and what i look like NOW please send me your email address and i will forward some photos to you. My addy is [email protected]

As regards to queries on why my teeth have rotted as a result of mints, the reason is, as Princessmel explained, everytime, i felt nervous, in pain or in a situation that i thought i cant handle, i used to eat the mints, i used to actually be on around 4 packs a day, 3 years ago!! Now im on about 2, but that is on a bad day. The reason for the teeth rotting is due to the high sugar content in the mint, just one can cause a cavity as the sugar sticks to the teeth and transforms to bacteria and in turn then leads to acid therefore the teeth will basically disintergrate, which has happened to me. I do hope to have my teeth done very shortly, and the finished look will be revealled on This Morning again, as well as in a glossy magazine, which i appeared in 3 weeks ago!!

Once i have for certain where i will be appearing next i shall post the topic on here, it will be about Emetophobia as well as the damage it has caused emotionally and obviously physically. So ladies stay posted!!!! hope to hear from you all again soon.

Years back when I was carrying around all of those mints and the gum, I thought I was weird, but now I now it's a symptom of this phobia. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one out there. I don't carry hard candy on me anymore, but I do have gum on meall of the time. I was told to stay away from both, but I do need the gum sometimes.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

hello again, actually sugar free gum is actually better for you beleive it or not, but what ever you do stay AWAY FROM EXTRA STRONG MINTS!!! otherwise you will end up looking like me!!

Hi Charmed 1,

I sent you an e-mail for your pics. I live in he US, so I didn't get to see you on TV.

HalfoverthefurEdited by: halfoverthefur

hi there i have sent you some piccys, check your email when you sign in.

im sure the pictures will make anone think twice about not going to the dentist, also beleive me, if i can go there even though im panicy, anyone can!!!

Good luck babes!! And stay in touch.