Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been having therapy for 5 months now. I would say that generally it has been very good, there has been a lot of talk therapy and some EMDR.The talk therapy has sorted out a lot of what happened when I was small to create this phobia, however I am wondering about all this talking! I read in the FAQ's about "How did we get this phobia?" and the answer has got me thinking ..do I need to suggest to my therapist we try some exposure? She said I shouldn't put pressure on myself or her for a quickfast cure or an end result next week as it were! I can see changes in myself, and my belief system I established about myself when was little and grew up with is changing/shifting. I guess this is the cognitive behavioural therapy.

I am very interested as to how you think things are progressing here??

I am very determined to conquer this phobia now, and would love to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this. I guess I am wondering where amI heading and am Iheading in the right direction??

Thanks.

I'd imagine that it would be valuable to add exposure therapy to the mix of what's already going on. That way, you could target the phobia specifically. But the other changes that you are experiencing are wonderful, and I would say to continue with those as well (that is, the talk portion of the therapy).

carri,

I think that exposure therapy is definitely the way to go, but don't rush it. Your therapist is the professional in this situation and should make the decision when to start.

Remember what Sage has said in many posts, moving too fast will traumatize you and you will lose all that you have gained so far. My opinion is that you need to consolidate your gains before taking more risks in your recovery.

That's my two cents!

happyteacher

It sounds to me like your therapist knows best...and that you're doing well. Cognitive therapy is very helpful, so I'd stick with that and follow her advice. Later, you can add in the behavioral aspect. Don't forget that EMDR IS exposure...the brain doesn't know the difference between what you imagine in EMDR and what is really in front of you.

Hang in there and you'll see great results!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thankyou so much for replying!!

I have come home from work today and I am feeling very 'low' about this. I am so over having this phobia. It doesn't fit into my life!!!!!!!

But your words are reassuring and I will just keep working away at recovering.

It also gets a bit frustrating only having one hour with my therapist once a week!

Thankyou very much.

I know about the 1 hour thing. Sometimes I would leave therapy and be almost discouraged that it was going to be a whole week before I got back. Butcheer up - 200 hours of therapylater I was wondering sometimes what the hell I would even talk about to him! (And I was thinking it might take 500 hours to get to that point - lol)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.