Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was going to post in the 'Share your experiences" thread, but I this is my first post and I'd just like to say a few things to everyone on board.

First off I am 19 and have had this condition for years. I went through a very bad stage many years ago were all I would eat for dinner was a bowl of cereal (more on that later).

I now have the condition (somewhat) under control, but I still go off the rails now and again. I am fairly anal about checking the dates on food and always do these 'controlled burps' where I subtly let all the air out (jeez, I sound so stupid).

When I saw a therapist many years ago they told me then that this was usually a girl related condition, which just made me feel more alone, but it's good to see I am not the only person.

This all stemmed from when I use to go on holiday with my parent's.

It got to the the point where it felt like every time I went I was sick. I once got some food poisening off some meatballs and was ill for most of the holiday, I remember being confused whenill, but back then it did not feel like the end of the world.

One time I woke up feeling ill, and I told my mum, she was annoyed at something at the time and just told me to stick my fingers down my throat. Awful memory.

The next few years I caught a few tummy bugs, from the pool/food and I became more n' more wary of what I ate and developed a genuine fear of V* to the point I could become overwhelmed with a feeling of inpending doom, that V* was worse than death itself.

After one of the holidays (around 1997) I only ate a bowl of Wheetos for my dinner because I thought there was no way I could get ill off ofsomething so simple. Eventually I was taken to the docter, given a blood testand they confirmed I was lackiing in Iron. I went to a psychiatrist who was asking me all kinds of questions that made me feel no better -- bottom line, I have these demons that I have to overcome myself.

I do not drink, which is probably partly due to my fear of V*, but I don't mind travling and eat fine now.

It's bizarrebecause I have feared to even type my problem into the internet. For years I have had it under control and then sometimes in bed I may be a little bloated and then it's a downward spiral of being anxious. After thinking I was rid of it once I said to myself in bed "it's still in me".

Most recently, a few months agoI was so scared thinking I was going to be ill (have a history of being ill at night time) I was hovering near the phone and a split second away from phoning the ambulance because I just wanted to die. I woke up in the living room the next morning, exshausted, and my Mum still has no idea what I go through everyday. She thinks I no longer have the problem.

Two days agoin college a friend of mine said he felt ill and made his way to the toilet, straight away my heart started pounding and I wanted to know the reason WHY he felt ill. I was begging he did not throw up in the classroom, luckily he did not.

I go through mentals battle everyday, it sucks.

I have read allot and thank you all for reading my tale. There is so much more to say, which I will in the future.

I have not been ill since 2001, I believe when I tooka swig of wine after eating a curry/Tuna creation. I never want to be ill again and watch everything I eat.

I don't believe I will ever be rid of the condition I just have to deal with it as best as I can from day to day.

Respect to everyone for sharing their experiences with this terrible phobia.

Wellcome Jimmy to this site. Everyone is really helpful and very nice. I am glad you have made your first post here. Since joining i have made lots of nice friends and you can talk about anything here.

Where abouts in the UK are you? I am in Reading in Berkshire.

Lots of love

Fifi

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Big hugs
    Fifi
    xxxxx

Welcome to the site, and i am glad you foun dus You can find support here...Please don

't ever think your stupid, or sound stupid, although to the outside world what we say in here may seem irrational and crazy, we all understand where we are coming from in here, and most of us all do the same things

Hey there

Welcome to the forums, Its lovely to have you here as well as another guy around there is a few on here,so you arent the only one.

Also nice to see someone else from the UK?what part are you in..

I can understand your situation with being ill and also your mother/parents finding it hard to understand,people looking into this phobia are usually slightly confused by the reactions and outcome of this phobia brings.

I do hope you find here helpful ect...

you need a listening ear or just a vent were all here to help and my pm box is always open..

Take Care

xVx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee

Welcome to the site, and i am glad you foun dus You can find support here...Please don

't ever think your stupid, or sound stupid, although to the outside world what we say in here may seem irrational and crazy, we all understand where we are coming from in here, and most of us all do the same things

Yea, strange, but I have been reading from this site nearly all day. I am kinda excited that other people are dealing with this.

Thanks for the welcome, I feel like meeting everyone.

Fifi n' Violet -- I am from Chester near Manchester.

Glad you are happy that you found this site, and you are from UK. I would love us all to meet and have a good chat.

Anything you need to say, just say it. We are all the same and have this pain of a phobia.

Take care and welcome again

Big hugs
    Fifi
    xxxxx

Ahh im all the way up here in Scotland lol

Hey Jimmy, welcome to the family! Your tale is so familiar to us all so you're never alone and you are NORMAL!

I'm live in South Wales now but was brought up in Mold, all my family still live there. Very close to Chester - spent many a night in Cinderella's - is it still there?!! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Welcome, Jimmy!

I only joined the site 3 weeks ago and have received plenty of support & been able to offer it too! The things we say may sound crazy to non-emets, but it all makes perfect sense to us! BTW, what sex we are is irrelevant - we're emetophobic, end of story. Enjoy posting - it's great to know there are people here who know exactly how you feel!

Hi, welcome!!

Hey Jimmy, welcome. Don't worry you 're certainly not the only man with this or other anxiety disorders. Although males tend to play out their anxiety more with rage disorders, who would want to have that either...often it can lead to violent criminal behavior in males. There are some violent women and some anxious men...but it all stems from the same thing one way or another.

I hope you've read all the stuff I've written on the Treatments thread, and by now you don't feel as hopeless because there certainly is successful treatment available where you're not just "coping" all your life. As for me, I had a severe case of this disorder for many years, andnow live completely anxiety free...I never even think about it anymore. So there's lots of hope - keep your chin up!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hey Jimmy! welcome to our emet family, pleased to have you on board.[img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img]

welcome to the group!!

Hey Jimmy, welcome! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Hi Jimmy , welcome!

Wish you nice time here.

I'm a male as well, there's not many of us seemingly.
    Welcome and I hope you can learn to live with it and even get rid of it.

Welcome,

I can certainly relate to the "daily battle with yourself." That is so true for me and I think for most of us here. It seems like a daily struggle most of the time, but all we can do is take it one day at a time. Its good to have you here.

Welcome to the site........hope you find all the support you need!!!
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Welcome to the site!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!