Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Would you buy the book on "emetophobia"?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% sure! -definately

313 72.79%
  • I probably would

109 25.35%
  • I don’t know yet

3 0.70%
  • doubtful

5 1.16%
  • definately not

0 0%
  • No, it would make my emet worse

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi everyone!! I don't know if many of you know who I am, but I am writing a book on my life with emetophobia and how I overcame it.

I need a big favor from all emets on this board. I need this poll to show publishers and literary agents, so they can see the "audience" for this type of book, and so they can make marketability predictions; for this is the most important factor to getting my book published. Emet is a tough subject to alot of publishers because there has never been a book written about it.It took me forever to get the stats, and now I just need you all on my side through this.

Right now I am in the process of waiting to hear back from 10 publishers (big and small) and some literary agents who can represent me. I need your guys' help with this, so I can get my book "out there" to help people the way I have helped myself to overcome this fear.

Please, just take a momet and answer the poll, and maybe even reply as to why you picked what you did; it is very important. I want to thank you in advance for doing so, and I will never forget (with our without the poll) to add you all to my "acknowledgements" page!!!Without you all, I wouldn't havehad all of the much needed supportin my times of need...Thanks, Charlotte
    Spring is here!

How did you overcome it? We all need to do that!

Hell yes.

Emet affects us all in a huge way. Everyday it affects our lives.

I am all ears when it comes to stories of overcoming it.

I voted that i probably would...but really i would 100%.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I would definately buy a book on Emetophobia! I actually want to do a documentary on emet and enter it into some film festival or something. Do a true account of what it's like to live with Emet! But I would buy the book! So Count me In!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

count me in too [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I really need to read about your life and how you overcame emet. I will buy it on the day it arrives on the shelves. I can never have enough information. Thanks for writing it.

I picked "doubtful", I will admit this. I have my fair share of self-help books on my shelf and I was a psychology major in college. The best books I have on my shelf have been internationally published first before coming to the US because mental health awareness tends to be higher overseas than in the US, at least in certain areas of mental health -- the stigma issue. I tend to prefer more "medically focused books" on mental illness or memoirs with a heavy medical backing. I prefer books with heavy research and multiple view points.

Something else you might want to include in this poll is location of those who are voting --- UK, US, etc... because are you considering doing an international printing? IES is very international in nature.

I do see a specific audience that this book would attract, but how would you reach that audience to tell them about your book? What types of publishing would best meet the needs of your audience (ebook, paper printing, international printing, audio book, etc.)?

V* is a common thing and so many people are not spooked by it, so I don't know what type of audience a book like this would attract. I know this phobia has the stats to say it is common, but stats can lie if they are not collected correctly (my psychological research side coming out here...). V* is also a healthy process the body goes through and I don't know how many people without the phobia would pick it up or take it seriously/ take it as seriously as a book about other phobias.

There has to be a FIRST and I am really hoping you can break into that category of FIRSTS. It would be amazing to see a book on emet flourish! I am being honest when I sayI don't know if I would be the first person out to rush and order it though. I'm just being honest.

I dream of publishing a book I started writing a few years ago. I have a friend who is writing a book right now and the process she is going through is difficult, but her topic just recently got a more national appeal (a teacher in New Orleans pre-Katrina and post-Katrina - her school was closed and will be destroyed and she taught in the Lower 9th Ward). Publishing and book writing is very close to me, which is why I'm being so straight-forward with you.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

anything that anyone does to bring this phobia to the attention of the public is fantastic, I would defo buy a book concerning (anything concerning emetophobia)but especially cncerning someones life and struggle with emet.

laney xx

Yes I would definately buy a book on emetophobia. I would love to read a book about someone who overcame it, I personally think that only a peson who has suffered with this phobia, should put a book out there about their stuggle. You truly understand what an emet goes through. I cant wait to see your book on the shelf at Barnes and Noble!! (Or where ever else it may be sold)

Do we get to come to the book signing?!?! LOL!!!!

Really--I had NO idea what my phobia was--I was messing around on an OCD site and saw someone mention emetophobia. I looked it up and, wow,---here we are. There are so many people out there who don't understand what they have and that there are places like this to talk to people. I thought I was a freak and the only one in the world that was terrified of v* and had all the other stuff that goes with it. Write a book!! If our phobia is so common, why do so few people know about it?

It definitely does sound interesting, I'd probably buy it If not, I'd definitely try to find some way to read it - like the library.

I'd 100% buy the book. Personally, I'd love to read about how someone else dealt with their emet. I'm sure there'd be interest from people with other phobias too.There are too many doctors, psychologists, etc, who don't fully understand this terrible phobia, and this sounds like exactly the sort of book they should read!!

Plus, anything which raises the profile of emetophobia has to be a good thing.

Good luck

Fiona x

Quote Originally Posted by purpleteacher

I have gotten pretty relavent stats reguarding emet from a legitimate source. It is said that there are millions of people with emet, although I don't know where all of these emets are originate. I do know (through research) that about 1% of the US population has emet, which is almost 3 million people.

My next mission is to send my query letters/proposals to Cananda, and the UK.

I appreciate your honesty in the poll...that is what I am looking for. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Charlotte

I picked "doubtful", I will admit this. I have my fair share of self-help books on my shelf and I was a psychology major in college. The best books I have on my shelf have been internationally published first before coming to the US because mental health awareness tends to be higher overseas than in the US, at least in certain areas of mental health -- the stigma issue. I tend to prefer more "medically focused books" on mental illness or memoirs with a heavy medical backing. I prefer books with heavy research and multiple view points.

Something else you might want to include in this poll is location of those who are voting --- UK, US, etc... because are you considering doing an international printing? IES is very international in nature.

I do see a specific audience that this book would attract, but how would you reach that audience to tell them about your book? What types of publishing would best meet the needs of your audience (ebook, paper printing, international printing, audio book, etc.)?

V* is a common thing and so many people are not spooked by it, so I don't know what type of audience a book like this would attract. I know this phobia has the stats to say it is common, but stats can lie if they are not collected correctly (my psychological research side coming out here...). V* is also a healthy process the body goes through and I don't know how many people without the phobia would pick it up or take it seriously/ take it as seriously as a book about other phobias.

There has to be a FIRST and I am really hoping you can break into that category of FIRSTS. It would be amazing to see a book on emet flourish! I am being honest when I sayI don't know if I would be the first person out to rush and order it though. I'm just being honest.

I dream of publishing a book I started writing a few years ago. I have a friend who is writing a book right now and the process she is going through is difficult, but her topic just recently got a more national appeal (a teacher in New Orleans pre-Katrina and post-Katrina - her school was closed and will be destroyed and she taught in the Lower 9th Ward). Publishing and book writing is very close to me, which is why I'm being so straight-forward with you.

Spring is here!

Wouldn't therapists, social workers, psychologists et. al. who specialize in phobias be interested in reading this as well? If not, they should be. I would if I were a therapist. At any rate, we often complain that we can't find therapists who have heard of this phobia. Thus, a book like this could serve as info for them.

I do agree with purpleteacher that people without the phobia will not be interested enough to buy the book at all. I wouldn't buy a book about about arachniphobia or agoraphobia or any other phobia I don't have.

Some phobics could purchase this book for family and friends who don't understand their illness. That would boost numbers sold as well.

And finally purpleteacher, I am going to play devil's advocate here and ask you why do you believe that you might not buy the only book so far professionally published in English about emetophobia? There aren't any others out there yet (I'm sure sage is on the way with something), so why not, especially from someone who as been a member of this website?

Of course I would.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I think what matters here is that now there will be a book that will interest a lot of people, especially, the ones who have the phobia. The ones who don't have the phobia, don't have to buy it. Just like I wouldn't buy a book on bipolar disorder.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by japa
    And finally purpleteacher, I am going to play devil's advocate here and ask you why do you believe that you might not buy the only book so far professionally published in English about emetophobia? There aren't any others out there yet (I'm sure sage is on the way with something), so why not, especially from someone who as been a member of this website?

I am doubtful about buying a book about emet because I havemany negativeexperiences with other books on mental health related to topics that I deal with just as intimately as I deal with emet. In college, I was fortunate enough to have access to almost every book in circulating print in an area of mental health that I deal with and found very few of the books to be helpful to my senior presentation on the topic. The topic was on self-injurious behavior, which extensive research has been done on all over the world - research is continuing to contradict itself in this area too...

I don't think I will buy the book because of the topic - I would buy it because of the author and a personal connection that way. The topic, I probably wouldn't because there isn't a whole lot out there yet. I would have nothing to compare it with and I am a critical reader in the area of mental health. I would probably wait to read the reviews of the book in a scholarly journal.

I am just reallyparticial and very skeptical about what is published. ANYTHING can get published and I would want to do some research about the book and the author before I would read it for specific information sake.

I am not meaning to step on anyone's toes. I am just being honest.
    FACEBOOK ME --

Thanks for responding. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I am doubtful about buying a book about emet because I havemany negativeexperiences with other books on mental health related to topics that I deal with just as intimately as I deal with emet. In college, I was fortunate enough to have access to almost every book in circulating print in an area of mental health that I deal with and found very few of the books to be helpful to my senior presentation on the topic. The topic was on self-injurious behavior, which extensive research has been done on all over the world - research is continuing to contradict itself in this area too...

I don't think I will buy the book because of the topic - I would buy it because of the author and a personal connection that way. The topic, I probably wouldn't because there isn't a whole lot out there yet. I would have nothing to compare it with and I am a critical reader in the area of mental health. I would probably wait to read the reviews of the book in a scholarly journal.

I am just reallyparticial and very skeptical about what is published. ANYTHING can get published and I would want to do some research about the book and the author before I would read it for specific information sake.

As a psych major myself and currently a full time student, (eventually getting my PhD) I know what you are saying about the mental health aspect of things concerning "self-help".

I guess my question for you is... just because there is not much out there yet on emet, does that mean in your eyes that my book is not a helpful and valid source of information? I mean, I was emet for 30 years, and I have absolutely no panic now when being faced with vomiting. You don't think my personal story (aside from a professional one) would benefit you??

Also, no matter what...experienced emets know WAY more about emet than ANY psychologist ever will. This is where experience means way more than professionalism.

Don't you think that the info about "living life as an emetophobe" would be more valid coming from me as opposed to a nonemet? I would definately take, for example, an illiterate emet's word of advice on this topic, rather, than ask any psychiatrist/psychologistthat only knows basics about where phobias stem from.

I guess that is just how I feel. Oh, and you mentioned that "anyone can publish"; you make it sound easy. If that was the case, I would have been done with this publishing battle a long time ago. It is an extremely hard thing to do for anyone. You get tons of rejections before you get 1 publisher's interest...and that is even rare. If you don't spark interest, it is time to re-evaluate your sources and information, and possibly change your sales pitch. Usually you have to fight, fight, fight, just to get an agent to read past your first sentence...and that is with everyone who has ever even written a book; even best-sellers.It is a tough journey, but I won't give up.

Charlotte [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Spring is here!

I definitely would. I have looked and looked for books on it and there arent any out there.

Well, one thing also is that there are different genres of books. Not everything written about emetophobia would need to be a scholarly book with footnotes and so on that would be reviewed by scholars in the mental health field. (Maybe Charlotte's will be this type of book, but that is beside the point I'm making). A personal account like a memoir or autobiography can be a helpful thing to read too. There are all sorts of genres that might make an interesting approach to phobias.

Of course, you could always read the book purple, and write your own review of it, and send that review off to the scholarly journals. That would get the mental health field to take a look at the book. You don't need the scholarly community to stamp a blessing on a book before you take a look at it yourself and form a judgment.

Also, it's really the nature of scholarship that it presents contradictory views and evidence from time to time. Scholars don't agree about things, and that's what fuels their publishing and gets them jobs and so on. From a pragmatic standpoint, disagreement helps earn them their salaries. I'm studying for my Ph.d. in English, and it's all about coming up with your own arguments about things.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by charzysbebe

As a psych major myself and currently a full time student, (eventually getting my PhD) I know what you are saying about the mental health aspect of things concerning "self-help".

I guess my question for you is... just because there is not much out there yet on emet, does that mean in your eyes that my book is not a helpful and valid source of information? I mean, I was emet for 30 years, and I have absolutely no panic now when being faced with vomiting. You don't think my personal story (aside from a professional one) would benefit you??

Also, no matter what...experienced emets know WAY more about emet than ANY psychologist ever will. This is where experience means way more than professionalism.

Don't you think that the info about "living life as an emetophobe" would be more valid coming from me as opposed to a nonemet? I would definately take, for example, an illiterate emet's word of advice on this topic, rather, than ask any psychiatrist/psychologistthat only knows basics about where phobias stem from.

I guess that is just how I feel. Oh, and you mentioned that "anyone can publish"; you make it sound easy. If that was the case, I would have been done with this publishing battle a long time ago. It is an extremely hard thing to do for anyone. You get tons of rejections before you get 1 publisher's interest...and that is even rare. If you don't spark interest, it is time to re-evaluate your sources and information, and possibly change your sales pitch. Usually you have to fight, fight, fight, just to get an agent to read past your first sentence...and that is with everyone who has ever even written a book; even best-sellers.It is a tough journey, but I won't give up.

Charlotte [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

After reading this response to my comment, I now realize I am more than likely misinterpreting the purpose of your book. I originally thought your book was more medically based, instead of a memoir base and real life experience based book. Is your book trying to be mental health self-help or memoir? I am kind of confused as to where your book will fall.

Personal accounts
    FACEBOOK ME --

Purple-My book isa story about my life, and how my emet came about. It is packed full of my honest opinions about how I think I became an emet through tragic events (my mother's food poison incident), lack of trust, abuse, and so on.

My book is basically my non-fiction story of my life, and ways I have lost the battle with emet, and eventually won. I say it is a form of "self-help" and that is what many agents have told me it is considered as. This book is not going to have PhD behind my name, nordoes it have anything at all medical in it (not what I am trying to do). This book is to help people to understand that they are not along with emet, share my life's stories of experiences, and also show them that no one has to live with this phobia; it can be cured.

What is my main reason for writing?? Because that is what I love to do. Words just flow out onto paper when I sit and let my mind wander. I am not writing for the money (cuz lord knows the chances of getting rich being a first-time author writing about this particular phobia), I am writing for inspiration, and because I want to help others with my story.

Lastly, I guess I am still a bit confused as to where you get "anyone can get published". After you have gotten published (along with your pre-published friends) then I will believe that statement. Why do I say that? Because I have about every publishers guide ever written, and they ALL say exactly the opposite of what you say. Now if you said, "any sales person" can publish, I would believe you, because that is what it is all about.It's about selling yourself, and then it's about the market for that particular topic. Those are the 2 major determanents.

Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Good luck with Canada Char, you will need it!

Quote Originally Posted by ontariogirl
    Good luck with Canada Char, you will need it!

LOL!! So I read.

I looked in my manual of publishers in Canada and Iread it was a sure challenge! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

bump
    Spring is here!

Quote Originally Posted by charzysbebe

Purple-My book isa story about my life, and how my emet came about. It is packed full of my honest opinions about how I think I became an emet through tragic events (my mother's food poison incident), lack of trust, abuse, and so on.

My book is basically my non-fiction story of my life, and ways I have lost the battle with emet, and eventually won. I say it is a form of "self-help" and that is what many agents have told me it is considered as. This book is not going to have PhD behind my name, nordoes it have anything at all medical in it (not what I am trying to do). This book is to help people to understand that they are not along with emet, share my life's stories of experiences, and also show them that no one has to live with this phobia; it can be cured.

What is my main reason for writing?? Because that is what I love to do. Words just flow out onto paper when I sit and let my mind wander. I am not writing for the money (cuz lord knows the chances of getting rich being a first-time author writing about this particular phobia), I am writing for inspiration, and because I want to help others with my story.

Lastly, I guess I am still a bit confused as to where you get "anyone can get published". After you have gotten published (along with your pre-published friends) then I will believe that statement. Why do I say that? Because I have about every publishers guide ever written, and they ALL say exactly the opposite of what you say. Now if you said, "any sales person" can publish, I would believe you, because that is what it is all about.It's about selling yourself, and then it's about the market for that particular topic. Those are the 2 major determanents.

Charlotte

Now I finally understand what your book is going to be about! I thought it was going to be more medically based and or self-help, instead of a more of a memoir. I am a fan of memoirs, that I will admit, and would probably give your book a good look on the shelf. Speaking of memoirs, I haven't gotten a new one to read in a lonnnnnggg time.... hhmmmm... :::makes a mental note to get to the bookstore soon:::

Good luck with the publishing process. We can agree to disagree about who gets published and that be okay. I'm rooting for you and hope you get signed very soon.
    FACEBOOK ME --