Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: fingers crossed

i went back to the gp and the letter has been sent to get me some help with getting over this fear ... so im hoping some help will be better thanknow tohow im feeling about it now .....

Awwwhhh.... congrats on making the first step. Just admiting to your doc that this is really bothering you is a big step.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did talk to my doctor about thisand he was very sympathetic, I said I was pathetic and he told me I wasnt, andto imagine I was scared of spiders orbaloons etc and that was more odd!!! He made me feel better in that respect but couldnt offer alot of advice other than that.

If you find some helpful and useful treatment let us know. In the meantime hang in there and know that you have alot of support here.

Laneyxx

The one thing that puts me off going to the doctor and getting help is the thought of him being unsympathetic. There are a few professionals out there who either haven't heard of emetophobia of don't take it seriously enough.

Let us know how you get on!

Good job! I hope you start to feel better soon cuz you took a relly big step forward.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    *TO EACH THEIR OWN*

sage wrote up material to give to the doctor, and it explains the phobia. Also, if a doctor is insensitive, and I know that some can be, I'd just move on to the next doctor. It's the doctor's problem for being a jerk, and it's not you.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer

The one thing that puts me off going to the doctor and getting help is the thought of him being unsympathetic. There are a few professionals out there who either haven't heard of emetophobia of don't take it seriously enough.

Let us know how you get on!

Yes, thanks japa...my thoughts exactly.

But even more than moving on, your doctor may just not understand it and may not normally be an ass. Don't expect any doctor to understand it, hell...most therapists don't understand it either! Them understanding it isn't a necessary component to you getting better. But yes, print out the paper I wrote and give it to the doctor. I recommend you do that IN ADVANCE of your appointment. In fact, tell them to call YOU when they've read it and are ready to talk about it. Any doctor who wont' do THAT .... move on.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.