Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ok, as some of you know, both my kids had a sv over the weekend. It started with my daughter on Friday night. She was with her dad at the time, in his house, with my son and their dad's 12 year old daughter. Anyway, my son comes down with it around 12 hours later - Saturday morning - and now I've just found out that their dad was ill Sunday night, his daughter Monday morning and then her mum this morning.

It seems that their dad and his daughter picked this up round about 48 hours after my daughter was initially sick. It's over 72 hours now since my first exposure and I'm wondering just why I haven't got it too as it's obviously quite contagious. I was etxremely careful to clean up, bleach, disinfect, use paper towels, wash my hands and the kids' hands regularly etc. i doubt their dad would have gone to such extreme lengths.

My question is what stops us from getting these things most of the time? Hygiene, Immunity or just plain Luck?

p.s. I have everything crossed at this stage that I'm not tempting fate here as I know that catching this is still a possibility even after this length of time!

*Crosses everything for you*

Well I think it can be a few things,I mean we dont really have a big immunitey towards these things because we clean all the time and wash our hands ect so dont always have time to build up and immunety to it!

I do think its being clean that helps really and that making sure that you have taken the appropriate messures if you are exposed to it and helping yourself not to catch anything..

Plus I think we are all pretty lucky sometimes as well yep,

So after that ramble my conclusion is, were clean lucky sweet smelling people lol

P.S So glad your alright Suze xxxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh I wish I knew! I have heard though that you can't catch sv without direct contact. In fact, it seem that most sv is not a virus at all but a bacterium, which is larger and not as airborne. So washing hands is perhaps a very good way of protecting yourself.

I think that its luck.

But you must have good imun system not to get it.

Hygiene, immunity or just plain luck? --- Probably a good combination of the three. Adults have been exposed to more, we tend to take more precautions against illness, and sometimes we are just fortunate enough not to be "exposed correctly" to how the virus is being transmitted.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

We're emets! We're obsessed with hygiene! And we just REFUSE to v*!

Well, that's what I think!

My former therapist told me that since I had a high tolerance against vomiting as a child, I have an even higher tolerance now that I'm an adult. <shrug>

I don't know what "stops us from getting these things most of the time", but if you figure it out then bottle it and make a fortune selling it here!!!! I'll be first in line!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

If only Sherbear, if only!!!!

I'm just going on what other mothers on this site say - it seems we don't pick things up often. In my case, their dad did, but I haven't as yet, and as I am a complete control freak, I want to know why!!

I think it's a combo of all of them...I really have found if you don't feel sick by 3 days after exposure to the fever you are in the clear , at least in my experiences...Oh man, I feel for you goood luck!
    You MUST do the thing you fear the most- E. Roosevelt

Hey Suze!

I also think that it's a combo of all 3. We do everything in our power not to v* because it's what we try so hard not to do. Sometimes I wonder if I actually had an sv* and just refused to v* and it dealt with just making my stomach upset for a few days. I also think that we are more precausious and wash hands, clean up, disinfect, etc. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and it's just plain luck. My mom always laughs at me because I was always the one to be panicking and scared and pacing around the house when we were kids but usually never actually caught it like everyone else. Maybe our being scared just blocks it from our system. Who knows?!

I don't believe in luck. I think goodluck/badluck is something we socially construct in order to give meaning to certain incidences, and at times deflect blame.

I do think it is probably a combination of good hygiene and immunity- and that it differs between people. I know a lot of people who have horrible hygiene, yet are rarely sick- I also know people who have relatively good hygiene, but are ALWAYS sick (me).

*amber*

Suze- I'm jealous! We were in the same boat this past weekend and I was
    not so lucky.

we are still getting over this! my oldest son picked it up first, but he just had a fever and slept a lot. my youngest then got it, and he had fever and v*. i then got the fever, but i had d*. then my husband got it, and unfortunately he came off the worst - d* and v* [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]needless to say - i was panicking all the time and generally making myself worse!

but i have noticed that when there are sv* going about, my kids always seem to get them, but even if they are v*, and my husband catches it and v*, i only ever get d* and n*... its almost like im sooo determined NOT to v* so i dont....

strange or what??

I think its a combination of all three. I also think that if you are going to get it you will get it.
    peach, I know what you are saying. The last time the stomach flu was here Tyler was sick and I got the nausea, seems I always get the nausea at times severe but never vomited.

I just don't know---and that's what I hate! If I only knew for sure how to avoid it, I wouldn't worry and wash my hands all the time etc. I hate the lack of control and the not knowing! Grrrrrr!

According to my doctor the only thing you can to to protect yourself against these things is wash your hands. So I think hygiene is the biggest thing. Plus you weren't around the kids when they were actually sick - that probably has a lot to do with it. The same thing happened with my son a couple of months ago. He got a sv when he was at his dad's house. His dad got it a couple of days later but his wife never got it (which I thought was odd since she was there) and neither did me or my husband or his kids. Just wash wash wash! Purell is your friend! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hope everyone who has been sick is feeling better....

Kim
    Keep the faith!
    Philippians 4:6-7

Kim, I too believe it's mostly hygiene especially as I was with my kids when they v*d. My daughter started at her dad's but then she came back to me and continued doing it all day and into the night. My son also only started to v* while with me, so there was plenty of it around me!

Anyway, if only we knew....! I'm coming up to 5 days now so hoping it's passed me by. Weird though,I give myself 3 days, but ifI'mok bythen, rather than relax, I add another day on!! Why do I do this to myself? lol

O.K. I am going to say that if there is a virus in your house, then more attention hygiene probably helps you not to be infected. I mean we would tend to wash and keep our distance.

The excessive handwashing and Purelling (is that a verb?) when not directly and closely in contact with anyone ill, I don't think it is a protection, except for in one's mind.