Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Has anyone ever had one? I'm very nervous about it... I'm worried I'll gag and puke

This is where they put a tube down my throat into my stomach.

Sorry, never had one before. what do you have to get it for?
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Never had one, but know lots of people who have, and also visited with lots of folks in hospital who've had it done. No one ever pukes, and I don't think it's even possible to gag. It isn't a pleasant experience, I guess. But you won't be sick from it.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When my partner had an endoscopy, he was not allowed to eat for 12 hours beforehand so that his stomach was empty, they sedated him (he was able to respond to their requests to swallow, etc, but he was away with the faires and can't remember having the test done!) and sprayed his throat with an anaesthetic to suppress the gag reflex.

They cannot do the test properly if you gag or fight the tube, or if you are sick, so they will make sure that you don't do either.

Let us know how it goes.

Thinking of you, Jill xxx

My mom has had it done many times and she never said it was bad, I think they give you something so that you don't care what's going on. You probably won't even remember it.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I personally havent hd it done but as people said. Although it may hurt a little, you wont gag of v* and yo wot rememebr that mcu habout it. Tell the nurses looking after you that you have emet or are scared and they can re-assure you and maybe give you some anti-emetic drugs

Good luck

I have had the test done and had no problems whatsoever. Like someone else said they spray your throat to prevent gagging and they give you something to relax you so you don't even feel what is going on. You probably won't remember much at all. It was a very easy test and I have never had any nausea with it. So just relax!</font>
    Debbie

Ask for anti-emetics!!! I had it done once and... well I don't want to scare you. but if they give you anti-emetics you should be FINE, because the whole bad experience I had could have been avoided if I had only known to ask about anti-emetics. Also your throat is going to feel funny, kinda sore after, that is normal and so don't worry about it.

The best advice I can give you is to relax and ask for anti-emetics because they sedate you so you won't remember anything.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

THIS IS ROM PARTY_BOI3423's MUM:

I had this last year and was frankly terrified before hand. It was nothing like as bad as I thought it would be and I'm a complete baby about all things medical. You can either have just a throat spray (not for the faint hearted I think) or like me you can have a throat spray followed by a light anaesthetic. The anaesthetic puts you out just long enough for the procedure and so if I did gag I have no memory of it. Please believe me the thought of this procedure is a miilion times worse than actually having it done and try not to worry. Good luck!
    ISAIAH 41:10

confused, (and others in general)

here's just a tip: in future - when you write something like "I don't want to scare you, but..." all this does is scare a person. Remember everyone on this board has an anxiety disorder, and will think the worst catastrophe whenever possible. If you don't want to scare someone, then don't say anything at all.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm still nervous, I actually might cancel it because I'm still freaked out, especially after what confused said, because this clinic I goes to considers the use of anti-enemics contraversial and won't use them. I got lucky when I got my script for compazine because it was an urgent care doctor from another clinic helping out. Otherwise, they won't use them. If it's going to make me throw up, I can't do it, I already dislike the doctor doing it and nothing feels right about it, sometimes I wonder if I should listen to my instinct this time.

I agree with Sage. Please don't cancel it. I work for two general surgeons who do these all the time. Never ever have I heard of anyone gagging or v'ing. My partner has had it done and he was fine. It was funny actually cause he was away with the fairies and talked complete crap for the rest of the day. Hope that helps hon.

First of, what confused said may not of beentoo horrific. You just dont knwo so I wouldnt worry about that.

If you cancel it you will just be lettng your phobia take over, and although that seems the best thing to do right now, it may not benefityou n the long run. Mayeb you could phone the sugery and tell them of your concerns and say that yo are considering cancelling. They may help you out or reschdule or something if you really cant do it.

I hiope whatever the outcome every thing turns out ok!

Don't cancel it! It's completely natural for an emet to be afraid in a situation like that, but don't let your fears control you. You can do this!

I'm not sure if I had this exact test done, but I know I had something similar done. I thought it was a GI Endoscopy, but instead of just giving me some kind of throat spray, they put me to sleep with some anesthesia. I didn't v**** afterwards. My throat was a little sore for the rest of the day, but I was okay. I think I got myself a little too worked up about it beforehand, but the worst part of the entire thing was the smell of the anesthesia! Yuck, that was kind of nasty, the rest of the test went okay.

Be sure to let the medical staff know before the test about your fear, and I'm sure you'll be okay.