Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi there,

I just joined the site today..its crazy to think that so many people have this phobia..I personally know 2 people that have it. I read through most of the posts extensively..and just reading it made me feel very anxious and jumpy.

I can't remember when my phobia first started.What I do remember, is that throughout primary school-people were ALWAYS V*, and it happened mostly in encolsed areas, where I could not escape. Only the past year or so, have I figured out that I am ok with people V* if I can escape it..ie: I'm in an open space, and can walk (most probably run!!) away from it.

Most of the time I am ok- I freak out when I get headaches and feel nauseous..Pepto Bismol and anti nausea medicines have become my best friends- they work really well.I think also because I talk myself into not feeling/being sick and convince myself that the medicine will prevent that and work miracles.

I feel as if things get really bad, when someone does V*- and I am there. I used to feel extremely anxious and have panic attacks- even when I heard through the grapevine that someone V*..Now, that has become better- although, when I hear that someone has a bug, I do freak out- I start thinking that everyone, as well as myself will catch it- and everyone will be V* everywhere.I know this is irrational..highly irrational- but that's what our fear is based upon.

A few months ago, someone V* at work- I didn't hear or see it..because I wasn't there the day it happened (THANK G-D!!), but the next day I came into work and immediately smelled it. I had a panic attack, and couldnt function properly. It made me very very angry- why can't a grown up/young adult control themselves properly..especially seeing as though they V* a few centimetres from the bathroom!!! Another recent experience was on a flight,a little kid V*, and someone V* from smelling it. I was a few rows behind..and ever since I get extremely anxious before flying..that someone will V* near me..or next to me, and I won't be able to escape- I guess thats what freaks me out the most..aswell as the whole 'domino' effect..you know, people V* from seeing other people V* and then more people V*

I do feel like it limits me in a lot of ways..I get a little bit anxious when going to clubs, I get very anxious before flying, and the thought of spending time with people I don';t know very well..and getting drunk together scares me..because I don't know if they can handle their alcohol..whereas I know the limits of the people close to me..ie;family and friends, if that makes sense. I often dream about other people V* and the next day..I do feel very unsettled, but it soon passes.

I am naturally a very very anxious person.I have been anxioussince a little kid, but in the past year- I really think that my anxiety has increased drastically. I have seen a few psychologists in my lifetime and they all attributed my fear to "fearing a loss of control"..I think that's quite accurate, because I do feel very anxious when I don't have control over things- although I'm far from being a control-freak..I just like to know where I am going, and what I am doing..although sometimes, I can be spontaneous, most of the time..I like things to be planned.

I don't know if there is a cure out there- and if there is, id be interested to know how others recovered..maybe its a matter mind control, and taming your mind- but that is very difficult and challenging. I think to some extent, I have become a lot better at dealing with my phobia..but I would still like to be completely free of it, as I do find it somewhat debilitating.

To all of you out there..I hope you soon find peace with yourselves, and no longer struggle with these tormenting experiences,thoughts and feelings.

welcome to ies !!!

i too have pretty much the same problem

i have 2 children nd when they v* i freak !! i try not to but its so hard

im so scared all the timeits all i think about at the mo im finding it hard

but i have been and spoken to my doctor and im hoping i might get some help to at least to deal with it !! i wish you all the best if you ever need to talk my email addy is [email protected]