Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

????????????????????????????????

It has been everywhere. In the newspaper, the television, the schools are closing. The horrid sv is all over the world. I have seen articles in Australia, UK, US, Canada. Enough is enough already.

Several of the private schools, in my area, have health bulletins in all oftheir weekly newpapers. The sv has been a contender sincebefore the winter break. That was December for goodness sake. April is8 days away!!!! In my town,the sv usually resurfaces for two weeks in April. Hell, its never left!!!! Is the sv the only damn thing that goes around anymore? I hear of an occasional cold or so, but the sv seems to prevail.

Is anyone as fed-freakin' up as I am?

Stella

Where in Canada? I am scared...

I am petrified too! I just want this to end...
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's always been there, and this year probably isn't any worse than last year or previous years. It just gets more media attention, and schools have started to take different approaches to dealing with it. I'm only 24 so it'snotas though it's been a long time since I was in elementary/secondary school. Even when a large percentage of the student population was sick, closing the school was never considered as an option. Now it is. I personally think the increased media attention has served to create a moral panic, which influenced this change in policy. This doesn't mean that I am against shutting down schools and disinfecting them when a large number of kids have gotten sick- just stating the claim that there has been a definite shift in mentality when it comes to this issue.

AS for news reports- if you actively search for them, you will find what you are looking for. Just like if you do a search related to crime you will come up with horrid stuff that is occuring around the world- it doesn't necessarily mean that there has been an increase over the past year, that you necessarily have ahigh likelihood of becoming victimized, etc.

I am personally more sick of the media attention, which reaches more people than actively need to know or who might be affected (I live in Ottawa- what do I care if a school in, for example, Toronto is shut down due to illness?).

Sending mental orders to all forms of media: Jump on another story bandwagon for god's sake! Isn't some politician (won't name any names, although most can probably infer who I mean) doing something stupid which may have wider implications to a larger population than one school being closed?

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amber,

Your logic seems rational, but unfortunately your facts are incorrect.

I will agree with you about the media hyping things out of proportion. However, there is a increase of sv incidence worldwide. This has been cited by the CDC and other health organizations, whose objectives are to inform not to create hype and panic. My childrens' pediatrician has stated emphatically that sv incidents and outbreaks are on the rise. My son, who suffers from acid reflux and IBS, sees a pediatric gastroenterologist twice a year. This doctor has told me that sv'sandoutbreaks have increased dramatically. In fact, the rise is so substantial that it has baffled physicians and researchers alike. Public health officials have been tracking this rise to determinewhyitis spreading and how the spread can be diminished aside from the general hand washing, etc recommendations that we all know by heart.

As for jumping on another story, I read the Wall Street Journal and NY Times daily. Ikeep abreast of current events, both worldwide and at the local level. Thesv isnot my only concern. With that said, when several close in mycity and state in a very short period of time, I haveconcerns.

Stella

Opps - That last sentence should read several schools.

Stella

That is scary! Now I really want to live in a bubble...[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

<H3>
    Carolee here is a report in B.C.
    <st1lace w:st="&#111;n"><st1:City w:st="&#111;n">as of March 20th</st1:City></st1lace>
    <st1lace w:st="&#111;n"><st1:City w:st="&#111;n">Norwalk</st1:City></st1lace> virus reported at two B.C. hospitals
    Two Vancouver-area hospitals have reported an outbreak of the highly contagious intestinal bug known as the <st1:City w:st="&#111;n"><st1lace w:st="&#111;n">Norwalk</st1lace></st1:City> virus.
    <st1:PlaceName w:st="&#111;n">Burnaby General</st1:PlaceName> <st1:Place w:st="&#111;n">Hospital</st1lace> and <st1lace w:st="&#111;n">St. Vincent</st1lace>'s Langara long-term care facility are the first Canadian hospitals to report a major outbreak of the virus this year. With 90 people affected by the virus to date, patients at the hospitals are very concerned. Hospital officials believe a visitor brought the virus. We've had a total of 27 patients who've been ill with stomach flu, <st1lace w:st="&#111;n"><st1:City w:st="&#111;n">Norwalk</st1:City></st1lace> virus if you will, and 47 staff members. Burnaby General has closed two wards, while St. Vincent's has isolated one wing, with only one <st1:City w:st="&#111;n"><st1lace w:st="&#111;n">Norwalk</st1lace></st1:City> case confirmed.
    The hospitals have also placed hand sanitizer beside the hospital door, because, according to Bower, "hand-washing is the absolute strongest and best way to contain it." Hospital officials at Burnaby General are calling hospital's outbreak an emergency situation, and it will remain one until no patients experience flu-like symptoms for another 72 hours.

</H3>

I think both cases are true. I am pretty confident that there are more gastro sicknesses happening these days. I know this is especially true compared to 20 years ago when I was in elementary school. My mom never even remembered stomach viruses when she was in elementary school. Now they are just common, like a cold. There is definitely something to be said for that.

And yep, the media sure does like to perpetuate fear among the public. So, we are going to hear about every stinking case that exists.

I guess all we can do is realize that we are not in this alone and use this to help nudge us into the right direction with treatment. We cannot put ourselves through this every winter. We are wishing 6 months of our lives away each year. It really sucks, but we cannot change it. We can only change the way we think about it.

\"This too shall pass\"

I think that it is definitely getting worseas well. I have lived in the same town my whole life and this year is the first time I can ever remember that a school actually closed due to a sv outbreak. I don't think it's just sv's either - I think it's other viruses/illnesses as well. I'm just speaking from what I've heard and seen around town here and heard on the news. Also from what's gone on at my babysitter's. There have been various viruses and illnesses, including a sv, there all winter. Bronchitis, pneumonia, fevers with no explanation, sv that last for days (2 brothers had that one - the doctor called it some kind of colic - thank the Lord no one else got it), etc. My son is 4 and each year just seems to be a little worse.

kim
    Keep the faith!
    Philippians 4:6-7

When I was in elementary school, I caught one stomach bug the entire
    time. My daughter has caught 3 in a year. I think it is on the rise too-
    but there are A LOT more people now with international travel a normal
    occurrance now.

Wouldn't it be great if they came up with a sv* shot like the flu shot for
    all the strains of sv* anticipated in going around.

I have said the same thing. A sv vaccine would be wonderful.

kim
    Keep the faith!

Well, the ironic part is that if there were a stomach virus vaccine, I bet a lot of people on here wouldn't get it because they would be afraid it would make them sick.

Quote Originally Posted by doxilover

I have said the same thing. A sv vaccine would be wonderful.

kim

Terrible this year, isn't it?? I thought so. It's all over the place. I have a thought, but I don't want to share it b/c I don't want to scare anyone. I tend to over think a lot. It could be justme. It probably is. Justbeen thinking about it a lot lately. The big "T" word. You never know.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Well, the ironic part is that if there were a stomach virus vaccine, I bet a lot of people on here wouldn't get it because they would be afraid it would make them sick.

You're probably right about that but I think I would take the risk on that one...

kim
    Keep the faith!

i think one of the main differences is how unhealthy children are.
    people in the old days ate way less, and were outside WAY MORE.

parents have little or no regards to nurtrition. more than half of what people buy in grocery stores is terrible for eating.

if children ate healthily, took their vitamins, got exercise, and knew the importance of hand washing..
    things wouldnt spread as easily.
    end of story.
    its all about healthy immune systems, and sanitation.
    i would love to hear a story about a child who follows strict eating guidelines concerning healthy foods, took supplements, got regular healthy exercise, and knew about hand washing... and i'd love to see if he/she got ill a lot.
    Edited by: liz28

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

Amber,

Your logic seems rational, but unfortunately your facts are incorrect.

I will agree with you about the media hyping things out of proportion. However, there is a increase of sv incidence worldwide. This has been cited by the CDC and other health organizations, whose objectives are to inform not to create hype and panic. My childrens' pediatrician has stated emphatically that sv incidents and outbreaks are on the rise. My son, who suffers from acid reflux and IBS, sees a pediatric gastroenterologist twice a year. This doctor has told me that sv'sandoutbreaks have increased dramatically. In fact, the rise is so substantial that it has baffled physicians and researchers alike. Public health officials have been tracking this rise to determinewhyitis spreading and how the spread can be diminished aside from the general hand washing, etc recommendations that we all know by heart.

I've heard the same thing.....it is definitely getting more widespread, scary!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Am I the only one who really hasn't heard anything about svs other then from this board? I don't really watch the news, and I barely read the paper, but I do see COMMERCIALS for the news and never ONCE have they mentioned a sv outbreak so severe that they are shutting down a school. (Not that Shaker Heights would EVER close the schools for ANY Reason *Rolls eyes*) But I'm not all that worried about it. I don't have kids and I live by myself...so chances of me getting a sv are slim.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Thank goodness Columbus ohio is all good

Not much to speak of here in Hawaii....so far[img]smileys/smilies_25.gif[/img]
    ~Sheri~

We've had a few outbreaks here this year, I haven't heard of one here since earlier in the month. Hopefully it all clears out soon. But, I agree, it is just ridiculous the way there are so many different ones out there!!! How many strains of SVs can there possibly be?????

I'm still not all that convinced that what seems like the massive rise in the prevalence of 'stomach viruses' are purely the result of increased prevalence and resistence. There are just too many other variables that could also have an influence.

In order for the CDC and different health organizations to be aware of cases of people being ill with a virus they have to be reported, correct? In order for them to be reported, I'm assuming the person has to actually go in to a doctor's office or hospital complaining of these symptoms and be tested. Or at least bring it to the attention of the organization. COrrect me if I'm wrong- I'm always curious as to how large government organizations collect their data.

I don't know about you, but I have never gone to the doctor's or hospital because of a fever, vomitting, or diarrhea. It was just treated as 'the stomach flu', and if someone did not go to school because they were ill it was explained as purely being sick, or having a stomach bug. The word 'virus' in relation to these symptoms didn't enter my consciousness until the media started to make a big deal about Norwalk in around 2001 or so. It may have been earlier, but I know for myself the first I have heard of it was around that time. Also speaking to some nurses and others who have been working in the field for awhile, they say that people going to the doctor or clinic as a result of the stomach flu is a fairly recent phenomena- in the past you may get the more extreme cases of people who were severely dehydrated or for whom the virus was persistent.

I think part of the reason why rates appear to have increased is that people are more likely to go to a hospital, clinic, or doctor complaining of these symptoms (whereas before they just stayed home, took fluids, etc.). I also think the media has had an influence on this- as they promote the image of viruses potentially being dangerous, and in some cases fatal. Things like Sars, Bird Flu, etc. just serve to strengthen this fear, which in turn makes people go to the hospital/doctor/clinic out of fear/need for reassurance.

Increases in many things can be caused by changes in reporting rates- I'm just not all that convinced that apparent increases in the prevalence of stomach viruses are 100% related to an actual increase in numbers of people affected.

*amber*

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

However, there is a increase of sv incidence worldwide. This has been cited by the CDC and other health organizations, whose objectives are to inform not to create hype and panic. My childrens' pediatrician has stated emphatically that sv incidents and outbreaks are on the rise. My son, who suffers from acid reflux and IBS, sees a pediatric gastroenterologist twice a year. This doctor has told me that sv'sandoutbreaks have increased dramatically. In fact, the rise is so substantial that it has baffled physicians and researchers alike. Public health officials have been tracking this rise to determinewhyitis spreading and how the spread can be diminished aside from the general hand washing, etc recommendations that we all know by heart.

I think that there are many different reasons for this:

1. increase of children numbers in some classrooms. i'm not exactly sure where you live, but in WA, where I live, classroom numbers increase by at least one or two every year. with more bodies in the same size space, germs are passed back and forth more and more.

2. increase in parents working often (I'm not saying this is the case for any working moms here, i'm just being general) means that more children are being sent to school sick. for example, when my mom was little, they stayed home for a mere cold. however when I got a cold, because my parents were both at work in the mornings, I was bundled up and sent off to school on my way.

3. viruses are powerful and there is really no cure for them. and, often like bacteria, they become resistant and devolop new ways to easily infect people. the common sv- could be getting more advanced in your area meaning more and more people are sick by it

Kristi- good points.There possibly may becorrelations between increase in class size and prevalence of kids absent due to illness, especially since the classrooms haven't necessarily gotten bigger, there are just more people crammed in sharing the same surfaces.

*amber*

OMG Stella, i am soooooooooooo ready for this stuff to be gone. My youngest daughter is sick now.

PLEASE PLEASE ............... GO AWAY SV"S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree about the differences in reporting rates affecting this.

First of all bacteria and viruses are very different animals. Bacteria are living organisms. Viruses are not. Viruses need a host to survive. Under the microscope, the two look and behave very differently. Bacteria do not mutate as do viruses. Viruses, such as influenza mutate - antigen shedding. Bacteria stay the same, but can become resistant to antibiotics. Viruses that do not have antigen changes such as poliomyelitis can be vaccinated against. Influenza does mutate and the vaccinations are guesswork and need boosters annually in order to have some efficacy. Norwark virus is one of the viruses that does not mutate. Avaccine isin development now.

As far as classroom size is concerned,that has nothing to do with the spread of thisillness.As a public school child, I always had 35 kids in my classroom andmy mother never recalls anything occuring annually like it does nowand with such fervor. My children go to private school where their classes do not exceed 15 children and the sv goes rampant through their schools - each and every year - sometimes several time.

No matter what the factors are that contribute to the spread of the sv, the media is not hyping the stories. We just have more media access than ever before. The sv is definiately on the increase. Doctors, scientists, researchers are keenly aware of it and much as been written about it. I haveseveral doctor friends who have noticed it and they are not emets.

As far as reporting is concerned, reporting the incidents of all illness, not just the sv, is quite an undertaking. Most sv cases do go unreported - past and present. However, since the reported incidents are so high it is still perceived as a increased rate. My guess is there are error margins allowed in the analysis process. Before the reports of increased sv are released, I am sure all of those factors are considered.

Stella

I grew up in the 1980's in a small town in Ohio. (yes, even close to Norwalk!!) I never had a stomach virus untill tenth grade in high school. I remember a family friend staying with us and she had one. (she was even sleeping with me) and no one else in my family got it. I remember one time each, my brother and sister getting one when I was a kid (brother was questionable, could have been over eating) and again, no one else got it. We never even passed strep around, and I would have that every year. From 10th-12th grade, I had 3 instances which caused me to vomit. One may have been food poisoning. My sister was always right there with me when I was sick and never got sick from me.
    Okay.. My little sister (who is 13 years younger) grew up in the same town. She has a sv about every 2-3 years. She's already had WAY more than me and my sister and brother combined.
    My daughter, who does not live in the same town. (thank GOD, too many hicks) Has had 3 sv's and is 9. She caught her first from my younger sister. Every year it travels around Jade's classroom. Sometimes we dodge it, sometimes we don't.
    My point is.. I really don't care about data or statistics. My mom NEVER had one until adult life, I never had one until high school and my lil sister and daughter always have them. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that for some reason there must be an increase.
    Sometimes scientists fail to think logically. It doesn't always take statistics and charts to see a positive correlation, so all of the stuff about how the cdc collects data and people constantly going to the doctor now when they are sick is basically irrlelvant in my book. I see what I see. I live what I live. We are sicker now and I have to agree that it's more than likely diet, lazy parenting and people not staying home when they are unwell.
    Sorry.. that was much longer than it should have been.

\"This too shall pass\"

I agree with Shiva, I'm 37 now, I've never had an sv when I was a child, I got my first one from my children, thank god I never threwup . This is what I have observed for the past couple of years, coworkers about my age have had sv's and said they have never been that sick their whole life, our local sports teams (volleyball, basketball, etc..) have had outbreaks within the team and everytime there's hospital visits for dehydration, and comments like "that's the sickest i've ever been!) The coaches have said we've never seen anything like this in 30 years. I notice that comment alot nowadays, like from school teachers and just in general. What about all these cruise ship illnesses, this is gettting ridiculous too, is media blowing this out of proportion??? I just somehow believe that hand sanitizer has something to do with this, I mean think about it, I see it everywhere I go, why is the sv stronger and stronger now? When I was growing up there was no such thing as hand sanitizer, I never washed my hands, always bit my nails (of course thank's to my fear of germs I stopped years ago), and I was never sick, except for a cold here and there, I've had my worse illnesses as an adult, since i've become an obsessive handwasher,Ijust don't get it. My kid's have had sv's since they were 6 months old, amazing how bad this has gotten. Doctor's are saying there is an increase, it's obviously true, it's more common than the cold, nowadays.

I've just noticed a lot of you have had children sick with this damn virus, it's obvious there is an increase. My son was sick in January, no one else caught it, but sometimes I wish my daughter would have, now i'm just waiting for her turn.....hope you all are doing well....let's try to stay strong for our children[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Edited by: sheri-baby
    ~Sheri~

All I know is that its REAL bad here in Maryland. My kids pediatrician and his wife just go over a stomach virus. It has been around here for awhile too. Its been the predominant illness for over a month. So I know its a lot worse (at least here it is).

I am HATING it too. I just feel like we are doomed to get it.