I'm still not all that convinced that what seems like the massive rise in the prevalence of 'stomach viruses' are purely the result of increased prevalence and resistence. There are just too many other variables that could also have an influence.

In order for the CDC and different health organizations to be aware of cases of people being ill with a virus they have to be reported, correct? In order for them to be reported, I'm assuming the person has to actually go in to a doctor's office or hospital complaining of these symptoms and be tested. Or at least bring it to the attention of the organization. COrrect me if I'm wrong- I'm always curious as to how large government organizations collect their data.

I don't know about you, but I have never gone to the doctor's or hospital because of a fever, vomitting, or diarrhea. It was just treated as 'the stomach flu', and if someone did not go to school because they were ill it was explained as purely being sick, or having a stomach bug. The word 'virus' in relation to these symptoms didn't enter my consciousness until the media started to make a big deal about Norwalk in around 2001 or so. It may have been earlier, but I know for myself the first I have heard of it was around that time. Also speaking to some nurses and others who have been working in the field for awhile, they say that people going to the doctor or clinic as a result of the stomach flu is a fairly recent phenomena- in the past you may get the more extreme cases of people who were severely dehydrated or for whom the virus was persistent.

I think part of the reason why rates appear to have increased is that people are more likely to go to a hospital, clinic, or doctor complaining of these symptoms (whereas before they just stayed home, took fluids, etc.). I also think the media has had an influence on this- as they promote the image of viruses potentially being dangerous, and in some cases fatal. Things like Sars, Bird Flu, etc. just serve to strengthen this fear, which in turn makes people go to the hospital/doctor/clinic out of fear/need for reassurance.

Increases in many things can be caused by changes in reporting rates- I'm just not all that convinced that apparent increases in the prevalence of stomach viruses are 100% related to an actual increase in numbers of people affected.

*amber*