Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maybe I am skeptical because my experiences are the complete opposite. From age three to about age 10, my house was a complete vomitoreum. There has only been one time thatI remember vomitting so much that I thought it was never going to stop, but there were many times that I would have a fever and vomit 2-3 times. It would happen for me at least once or twice a year (once while in front of the entire school- not my finest moment)- and for my brother more. I didn't really know that this was abnormal- it didn't seem as though we were sick more often then other kids. My brother was sick more often that I was, but grew out of it and now is rarely sick. For me it has become the opposite.

I am quite close to my entended family- aunts, uncles, and cousins. Their kids are never as sick as often or as extreme as my brother and I were.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by crimgoddess

Maybe I am skeptical because my experiences are the complete opposite. From age three to about age 10, my house was a complete vomitoreum. There has only been one time thatI remember vomitting so much that I thought it was never going to stop, but there were many times that I would have a fever and vomit 2-3 times. It would happen for me at least once or twice a year (once while in front of the entire school- not my finest moment)- and for my brother more. I didn't really know that this was abnormal- it didn't seem as though we were sick more often then other kids. My brother was sick more often that I was, but grew out of it and now is rarely sick. For me it has become the opposite.

I am quite close to my entended family- aunts, uncles, and cousins. Their kids are never as sick as often or as extreme as my brother and I were.

*amber*

I agree. I can tell multiple times per year when I would get sick from school or my brother would and we'd bring it home and the entire family would catch it. My mom used to get sv- in elementary school. I think the difference is this:

In the 60's, parents that I know of at least, were more likely to let their child stay home with a case of the sniffles, much less if they said they had a bad stomach ache and possibly a slight fever. Getting into schools was less competitive, kids could miss a few days and still pass their classes, and while education was valued during the time, admissions tests had lower standards and whatnot. Now, you have those parents (mine included) that don't believe their kid when they say they're sick until the school calls and they really are. You have the parents who both work and don't have time for kids to be sick so send them anyway. So with a higher number of kids in general (bigger class sizes, etc..) and more of them being sent to school sick, it's reasonable to expect a higher number of them will be infected each year.

Parents need to do their best to listen to their kids when they say they're sick. I can't tell you how many times my brother for example would tell mom he wasn't feeling well in the morning, act lathargic, etc... He was clearly not feeling well, but because grades are competitive moreso than ever now, mom would send him to school anyhow, only to have him call an hour later because he was sick with an sv-. I for one got sv- when I was little (in disneyland even...that was AWEFUL), but more commonly I would have strep throat. I'd tell my mom I had a sore throat and she'd know it was strep as I got it once a year, especially right after a cold or something. She'd respond with, "Just make it through the day and I'll take you to the doctor after school. You have a test you can't afford to miss." My junior year of highschool I got pneumonia the last day of classes. Mom said to go to school for that halfday anyways because I wanted to get my yearbook signed for heaves sake! The school system has changed, making is so that because of the high emphasis on perfect attendance, more kids are being sent to school even though they might be under the weather.

Well, I guess we are all going to base it on our own personal experiences. Kind of human nature, isn't it?

I still believe if there is in fact more gastro illness now, it is more than likely due to terrible diet, poor hygiene.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not it has anything to do with using antibacterial this and that?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Antibacterial soap has no affect whatsoever on viruses. Viruses and bacteria are two different organisms with no similarities other than they can make us ill.

Stella

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

Amber,

Your logic seems rational, but unfortunately your facts are incorrect.

I will agree with you about the media hyping things out of proportion. However, there is a increase of sv incidence worldwide. This has been cited by the CDC and other health organizations, whose objectives are to inform not to create hype and panic. My childrens' pediatrician has stated emphatically that sv incidents and outbreaks are on the rise. My son, who suffers from acid reflux and IBS, sees a pediatric gastroenterologist twice a year. This doctor has told me that sv'sandoutbreaks have increased dramatically. In fact, the rise is so substantial that it has baffled physicians and researchers alike. Public health officials have been tracking this rise to determinewhyitis spreading and how the spread can be diminished aside from the general hand washing, etc recommendations that we all know by heart.

As for jumping on another story, I read the Wall Street Journal and NY Times daily. Ikeep abreast of current events, both worldwide and at the local level. Thesv isnot my only concern. With that said, when several close in mycity and state in a very short period of time, I haveconcerns.

Stella
    I wonder if outbreaks of sv are on the rise because the virus is mutating? I mean, if there were, say 500 different strains of the virus and now there are 700, that might account for an increase in outbreaks.

I do not really want to think about that possibility. Ok, am officially freaked out now.

Where are you, btw?

From what I have read, no the sv has not mutated. It is the same virus that appeared when they named it the Norwalk Virus. The influenza virus mutates very quickly, from year to year, sometimes with mutations within the actual flu season.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland.

Where is tha damn vaccine?! I'd settle for a vaccine against one strain, I'd feel more in the clear, come on with it scientists! I definitely would want a sv vaccine more than a chicken pox one! So you itch a little-there's a vaccine for that! The sv makes people miserable, why not get cracking on that?! I wish there was one!

Evidentally cruise ships are having a real bad time with the noroviruses this year as well.

I realize that bacteria and viruses are different, but if like purell kills viruses and bacteria and they say it mutates bacteria, then could it also be mutating viruses?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Quote Originally Posted by samara's on tv

Am I the only one who really hasn't heard anything about svs other then from this board? I don't really watch the news, and I barely read the paper, but I do see COMMERCIALS for the news and never ONCE have they mentioned a sv outbreak so severe that they are shutting down a school. (Not that Shaker Heights would EVER close the schools for ANY Reason *Rolls eyes*) But I'm not all that worried about it. I don't have kids and I live by myself...so chances of me getting a sv are slim.

~Monica

Nope, you are not the only one. I keep reading all these posts and thinking to myself "Am I on a different planet than everyone else here?" I haven't heard of any such thing anywhere near where I live.

I also agree with the thought that maybe kids now are sicker because they are less healthy - less active, obese, etc.. I think that could totally be a factor.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I personally think that the increase in sv*s has alittle bitto do with poor diet/poor hygiene/and lack of exercise.....but the biggest reason right now seems to be the weather. I have talked to 3 different doctors about sv*s going around so much lately which include my PCP, my OBGYN, and my daughter's pediatrician and all have said that these outbreaks are really bad when the weather changes from warm to cold drastically. I'm not sure what everyone else's area has been like but the weather across the entire world just seems so strange for the past few years and I believe that this really could have something to do with the fact that these sv*s are around so much and are so horrible for a lot of people. We have had a pretty mild winter this year in my area and somedays got to be much warmer than the average. A few days later we would be back in to the 30s which is normal.

Just a though to ponder. I guess no one really knows the real reason because there are so many different opinions, but it's just my thoughts about it at the moment.

When the weather changes so drastically, I notice alot of runny nises, sore throats and earaches as well.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Well, in my personal experience, it's way worse. My mom had 4 kids. One of them got a stomach virus, once. The rest of us never did. I never knew anyone who had it either. Now all of my friends' kids get several a year.

My DH's theory is that it's because of daycare. He thinks these things keep spreading around in daycares, and then the babies pass the svs on to their older sibs, etc. That seems logical. But svs also seem worse---with v*ing 15 to 20 times instead of 2 to 3---which makes me think new strains have happened or are mutating. It really makes me wish I had been a mom in the 1960s instead of now! I was born in the wrong time . . . .

Luna,

You bring up a great point. People are so much more on the run now than they were in the previous eras. We don't stop for ANYTHING. Sometimes mommies with high power jobs feel they HAVE to send sick kids to school. Heck, people don't even feel they can stay in and take care of themselves these days.
    \"This too shall pass\"

But living now means we could be closer to some kind of vaccine, wouldn't that just be great? I'd be first in line for that!

It's been running rampant around here (Northern Ontario) all winter, and we're in the middle of another wave of Norwalk right now. It has been an odd year. So far we've had a sv through my house twice this season and I'm waiting on the third , but no colds, except for a couple of days of just a bit of runny noses. Usually it is the other way around. I definitely think kids are going to school sick because their parents don't want to take the day off work, etc. I even heard one mom admitting it and I was really quite mad at her. I'm so scared about what next winter will be like since my oldest starts kindergarten in September.

roisme- where in Northern Ontario do you live? I'm originallyfrom Sudbury and still go back quite often (am actually heading to my parents for Easter next week) and haven't heard about anyone being sick. Theonly thing that I heard was going around was a nasty cold that involved a phlegmy cough (ewww).

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.