Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm an avid Survivor watcher and it always blows me away that they don't get horrible food poisioning form the weird things they eat in challenges sometimes, like rotted fish and things like that. How do they not get very ill from stuff like this? I know someone else has wondered the same thing. Just like on Fear Factor, they put horrible things in their mouths and how do they not end up in the hospital???? Does anyone know or have you wondered this as well?

Yes I have wondered the same thing. How can you drink 100 year old Egg Nog (Like on Fear Factor) and not totally get sick? I mean I know that some people eat cockroaches in other countries so that's not hard to explain, but stink beatles and raw ostrich eggs? I don't get it! If I was ever on Fear Factor (Which I probably never will) I wouldn't be able to do one of those weird challenges.

As far as Survivor goes, I want to try out for it. LoL. I'm finally old enough for the try-outs and so if they have try-outs here this year I'm totally going to fill out an application and make a video. I'll mention that I'm an Emet...maybe that'll get me on because aparently everyone on Survivor is always puking. Throw an Emet into the mix and BAM you got a good show [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Quote Originally Posted by susanandbrandy
    I'm an avid Survivor watcher and it always blows me away that they don't get horrible food poisioning form the weird things they eat in challenges sometimes, like rotted fish and things like that. How do they not get very ill from stuff like this? I know someone else has wondered the same thing. Just like on Fear Factor, they put horrible things in their mouths and how do they not end up in the hospital???? Does anyone know or have you wondered this as well?

I do know that on the survivor show, people do get like a cup of rice to eat everyday (you never see that though, you see them scavengering around for food). I don't think though that in like those aweful food challenges, the people running the show (who are also living on the island, but in nicer conditions of course) would actually LET them eatsomething that's going to make them so sick. People cook meat from animals they catch pretty well over a fire- more times than not, the meat is probably burned.

As for shows like fear factor, when they do food challenges, it also amazes me that the people don't get sick and v- immediately...I know I sure would. But the makers of the show can't legally make someone eat something lethal or that will put them in the hospital or get them actually really sick. So the rotted fish is tested to make sure it won't kill somebody or anything. In fact, much of the food eaten on those shows (cow brains, pig blood, etc...) are rare actual food items in some countries. They have to make it safe for the contestants. That's why they try to sike each other out- any v- that happens happens not because the food will for sure induce v-, but because the IDEA of the food induces v-!

So the rotted fish is tested to make sure it won't kill somebody or anything.

Yeah but how to they test it? Do they test it on a person? "Hey Frank come here and eat this and lets see what happens" LoL!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

The food eaten on Fear Factor is all completely safe. As the other poster said, -- legal issues.The food'sjust chosen in order to gross out American audiences. Some other countries eat some of the stuff as part of their cultures.

One night I was at my friends house, and her family religiously watch survivor at a very very high volume... I was in the next room, wtaching the same show and eating my dinner, and I wasnt paying attention to the show, then all of a sudden I heard the sound of a guy in the show being VERY VERY violently ill, and because my friends parents in the other room had the volume up loud through their stereo, and I also has the show on on the other tv in the next room, the sound was just magnified ALL around me, I put my hands hard over my ears and jumped up flinging my plate of food onto their white carpet and was yelling for them to mute it or something, we got the TV in the room I was in muted but I could still hear it from the stereo...Ididnt eat the whole weekend I stayed there. I hate that show lol...