Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check it out on the sticky link, above. But don't everybody go at once - I don't have a lot of bandwidth!

Enjoy!

http://www.emetophobia.bravehost.com/Edited by: sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

were is the link i dont see it

Thankies Sage!

This is great, Sage! Thank you sooooo much!!!!!
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Wow I actually spent my dad working through these and I made it to the end. How much did that last dude drink anyway? I'm quite pleased with myself It took a while for my anxiety to go down with the Monty Python picture though. Next step - videos...

I too have spent a long time today going thru the pics, altho the last feware still gross I managed it. I think my issue is with the noise, smell and visual "in motion" stuff. I would like to try videos but just dont thinkIm ready for them.

Hannah - if you find videos to watch and you manage itcan you let me know. I just cant think about looking at any without some feedback first!!!

Thanx in advance (hopefully)

Laney

i dont dare visit the link what it is about, someone let me know then maybe i will

The link starts with very simple stuff, not being able to read the word v*, sketches, cartoonsand works up to pictures thru 40+ steps.

It is worth a visit even if at first you just read the info, there are no pictures or graphic stuff unlessyou deicde to enter further into the link.

I found it very helpful in making me realise what mymain issues with emet are (and I have had this for 30+YEars) and hopefully I can move on from here.

Sage, thank you!!!

Laney

Hmm I've been looking through them a bit. The anticipation is worse than anything.

However, I find looking at even the cartoon drawings gives me a really horrible feeling in the back of my throat, like I'm going to gag. This is a major prob for me when I'm around ppl who v*, cause it immediately makes me feel like I will.

Anyone else have this problem?
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

I also feel like that.

I managed to look at everything up to the real people. I asked my bf to look at the last one and tell me how bad it was. He scrolled down and burst out laughing! I would give my right arm to be that laid back about it.

thanks sage!!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

O.K. everyone,

Hope you took note of when sage says this:

There is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in scanning through all the levels "to see if you can do it". You can probably do it, but it will NOT help you.

I'm pointing it out so that you realize that to really do exposure therapy, and get help from it, you'll need to look at each picture until you are bored with it like she also writes. Edited by: japa

THANK YOU, JAPA! My sentiments exactly. What is it about us as humans that makes everything a competition, even with ourselves? lol!! Please read the instructions carefully and follow them. There is no way anyone with emet should be able to look at them all. If you're doing it properly you would stop AS SOON AS your anxiety goes up above 1 on a scale from 0-10.

Anyway, glad it's helpful...stay tuned for videos

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I can't seem to manage to look at any of the images because the bandwith or whatever it's called has exceeded its limit! ahh! this is the only time of day i have for myself, the rest of my day is spent with my 2 year old daughter. maybe i'll just have to get up very early one morning.. we'll see

It's because the site is new, and everyone is logging on to it. Don't worry. Over the next week or so, people will quit logging on as frequently, once they've seen it for the first time, and satisfied their curiosity. Then, there will be enough bandwidth. You just need to wait it out a bit. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by laurend
    I can't seem to manage to look at any of the images because the bandwith or whatever it's called has exceeded its limit! ahh! this is the only time of day i have for myself, the rest of my day is spent with my 2 year old daughter. maybe i'll just have to get up very early one morning.. we'll see

I got right up to level 5, very fast, I'm there now, but I'm getting a little breathless. Edited by: slinki_milinki

I wonder if you could expand the site to include noises and or videos maybe. I have always been pretty good about seeing pics, but the sounds and other stuff... and never stuff in real life.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Right -- then you stop and keep looking at level 4 until it carries no anxiety at all for you. Don't just keep going really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by slinki_milinki
    I got right up to level 5, very fast, I'm there now, but I'm getting a little breathless.

Re: bandwidth...ya, sorry - it's just a teeny little free site. Wait a day or two to log on as there's a daily limit for hits. If it stays bad I'll switch to paying for more bandwidth but right now I don't have to pay anything.

Re: sounds and videos. I don't think I have enough webspace to put videos however I will make a list of movies you can rent, and where in themovie to go. You can get both sounds and sights there, again with a gradual hierarchy.

Look for another link on movies and a poll about if they're in the right order or not.

I am a little disappointed with the comments that anyone with emet couldnt get above level 10.

Iam 37 and have suffered with this since my earliest memory of public v* at about age 6 at school. My whole life revolves around this, the fact I work in a large office and haveto drag myself in each day whilstr listening to colleagues stories about v*, the fact that I havent been abroad in 4 years + becos the thought of flying petrifies me (last time I did small child nearby v*, I nearly exited the plane) the fact that I havent seen my niece in 2 weeks becos she has chicken pox (that doesnt bother me at all but anything related to v* does), I cant ealk down the street without scanning the pavements on my way (recently my hubby texted me to say "walk another way to workas theres a lot of v* on the pavement) etc...............

Theres nothing I would love more than to be cured of this and to lead a normal life again, just becos I managed to get to the last levelwithout panic (despite feeling a raised heartbeatand a little anxiety and I mean "little") doesnt mean I dont have this fear. My fear is just different to others,some fear v* them selves and not others, some fear others v* not themselves, I fear myself v* and being near others when they do. Pictures bother me less as alot of the time they are nbot real andeven if they are, I cant hear it orsee it happening.

Sorry for the long rant, I just kinda feel sad about this now.

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

hahaha. i'm laughing at most of these images. i think i'll skip on the GRAPHIC for now.

Laney,

I'm not sure who you're responding to or what you mean by "no emet should get above 10"...??? If you read carefully the instructions on the site it talks about a scale of 0-10 where 0 is no anxiety and 10 is so much panic you can't handle it - run away, etc. Nobody said anything about level 10 in the pictures, which range from 1-43.

My point is AGAIN...and I really can't repeat this enough...the point of the exercise is NOT to "manage" getting to the end. It is to keep clicking on pictures until you find ONE that raises your anxiety level from 0 to above 1 on the scale of 0-10. Once you feel just a little bit anxious then you need to STOP at that picture, and really stare at it for a long time. Practice deep breathing and relaxation. Think about what it evokes for you, what memories you have, and perhaps imagine yourself in the picture. Then the next day, click on THE SAME PICTURE AGAIN and test out if you're still at 0. IF NOT, then keep looking at that one.

Zooming through the whole set to prove that you can cope with it will be worth just that to you. It will prove you can cope with pictures. But as you say...so what? You don't want to or need to prove this. You can cope with pictures - great, but you can't cope with sounds, sights, smells, nausea, etc. However if you do the exercise properly, taking several days or weeks to work through to the end, then changes will be made in your brain that lowers your anxiety and phobic response significantly.

Above all, it's best to use this site with the help of a qualified therapist.

I hope this clears things up.

All the best!

Hey everybody! Sage is soooo right about taking your time to look at each picture. I just finished up working on being able to read sentences and paragraphs about vomit, to barely graphic to super gross-out disgusting. Getting through them once doesn't mean anything. What you need to do to re-wire your brain is to look at the picture that's causing you anxiety until the anxiety is gone. Do the same thing the next day, and the day after. Keep doing this until you can look at the picture from the beginning to the end of your session with no anxiety at all (with the exception of the little startle jump at the beginning that I tend to get from time to time).

This is how I'm doing my exposure therapy, and IT IS WORKING!! It takes longer than just going through all the pictures at once, but seriously, how long have most of us had this disorder? Years and years. So it's not going to go away in a week or a month. It's going to take a year or two of hard work, but I believe we can all get there.

Sage, correct me if I'm wrong on the exposure therapy methodology.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

laneyb -The 1-10 is the level of anxiety that you feel when looking at the pictures. 10 is highest.Did your anxiety level never go above a 0 while looking at the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by laneyb

I am a little disappointed with the comments that anyone with emet couldnt get above level 10.

Iam 37 and have suffered with this since my earliest memory of public v* at about age 6 at school. My whole life revolves around this, the fact I work in a large office and haveto drag myself in each day whilstr listening to colleagues stories about v*, the fact that I havent been abroad in 4 years + becos the thought of flying petrifies me (last time I did small child nearby v*, I nearly exited the plane) the fact that I havent seen my niece in 2 weeks becos she has chicken pox (that doesnt bother me at all but anything related to v* does), I cant ealk down the street without scanning the pavements on my way (recently my hubby texted me to say "walk another way to workas theres a lot of v* on the pavement) etc...............

Theres nothing I would love more than to be cured of this and to lead a normal life again, just becos I managed to get to the last levelwithout panic (despite feeling a raised heartbeatand a little anxiety and I mean "little") doesnt mean I dont have this fear. My fear is just different to others,some fear v* them selves and not others, some fear others v* not themselves, I fear myself v* and being near others when they do. Pictures bother me less as alot of the time they are nbot real andeven if they are, I cant hear it orsee it happening.

Sorry for the long rant, I just kinda feel sad about this now.

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

You're right on,Kel. You must have a good therapist, huh?

I especially like the bit where you say it took a long time for us get this way, and it may take equally long to treat it. There is no quick fix. Scanning through pictures will not help you in and of itself.

Sorry, sage and japa, i think i got a little confused with the instructions!!!

I dont like to look at pictures but is doesnt cause me distress once I know the content of the pictures. My anxiety levels were raised slightly beofre seeing the pictures but once I saw them,I could look again. I guess I am lucky in that respect that pictures dont bother me however its everything else about it that I have the problem with.

I cant get access to a therapist thru my doctor as Im not "bad" enough and wouldnt know where to start looking privately.

Ihope I havent offended anyone with my comments, I dont want to loose the cameraderie of this site.

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

To Laneyb, I was in a similar situation as regards therapists... You're in the UK and I'll tell you straight out - the NHS are useless. They will make you wait forever and basically try everything to cut costs regardless of how it affects your health.

If you can afford to go private (and you can write to your local NHS board for 6 free sessions), just go to your GP and ask for the number of a private psychologist (not a nurse therapist!) I've recently done this and they told me the NHS have messed me about so much with nurses I could have avoided 7 years of suffering [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

When I saw the private psychologist she was very positive and was very much like "this is what's wrong, this is how I'm going to help you fix it" whereas the NHS ones just said they couldn't help and discharged me.

Seriously, don't settle for this. It's a fight to get treatment for mental health problems here, and doctors don't have a clue at all!

All the best!
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

Thanx jungle monkey, glad to see Im not the only one with not much faith in the good ole NHS (although that makes me sad!!).

I willtry and make some enquires like youve suggested.

Thanx again

Laney xx

Hi Laneyb,

No worries. Nobody was "offended" or anything. We're just trying to clear up the process so folks don't get confused and make themselves worse.

I imagine you might be looking at the pictures and somehow defending yourself by subconsciously convincing yourself that they're not real. Try to look at the one that raises your anxiety a little bit, and imagine it as very real...and that it's you. See if that gets your SUD level up to 4 or 5. Then keep imagining that, and keep looking at it until it goes down again. This is a very helpful exercise.