Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: soo mad

i was supposed to go to my aunt's house for my cousin's birthday party today. my mom just called her to see what time she wanted us to come over, and she said that one of my cousins (she has 4 kids) is sick. She's been v*ing all day and all last night, has d*, a fever, everything! AND she's still having the family over for my other cousin's birthday because she doesn't think it's fair to him! obviously, i am NOT going, but my parents still are! i'm pissed off at my aunt. i mean, i understand that she did all of this cooking and doesn't want everything to go to waste, but she's exposing everybody else to sv* germs! i'm more mad at my mom though because she can neverr say no to anyone! blah, this sucks[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

That would piss me off too! I hate when people let others be exposed for crazy reasons like that! It's like save the food for next time! My family has done this too! I hope your cousin feels better! I also hope your mom doesn't catch it!

i know! blah..i'm still trying to convince my parents not to go because then they'll have to deal with me worrying all week. my dad doesn't want to go but my mom feels bad. sigh. she says she's only going to drop off a gift but chances are she'll stay for dinner. hopefully everyone will make it out healthy!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I know, hopefully she will be quick there! Good luck!

I just dont understand the mentality of some people, I mean even if you dont suffer from emet why would you want to expose peaople to a sv* unnecessarily!!

Well done to you for saying no and standing your ground!!

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I see it this way- they called to tell you about it, so now that you know you have the option of not giong, which you have opted to do. If people are comfortable going, power to them.

On/around most major holidays my mom's family has a massive gathering (she is one of eleven kids). Once they are scheduled, they go on rain, shine, sickness well withstanding. It's hard to corral so many people who all have different schedules together.

Especially on X-Mas eve, where we have our gift exchange- on more than one occasion the host has had a sick kid, or one of my cousins was sick and came anyway. The thing is, no one in my family minds, and would rather have them there even if they are sick. Their major mentality is "ohh, I hope you feel better, what can I do for you" as opposed to "damn, I hope I don't catch anything". They are usually set up on the couch so they can still be part of things, or are put in one of the bedrooms if they want to takea nap. A few times I was that sick kid, and really didnt mind not being at home, as I was made as comfortable as possible and enjoyed being around my family.

I'm usually the only one that gets nervous- and who I am to say that something couldn't go one because I was uncomfortable, and everyone else doesn't really mind?

Look at the bright side- you know and you have decided not to put yourself in a situation that you would be uncomfortable with. Unfortunately, we can't control what others do, or decide what their comfort levels are for certain situations. If they don't mind that they are in contact with someone who is ill/has been recently ill, who are we to say that they should be? And for someone who does not have this phobia, or who doesn't view illness as a very big deal, I can see how they may rank the party and preparation over the fact that one person in the house is sick. I don't think there is any clear right or wrong answer- you can only decide for yourself what your comfort level is and act accordingly.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree 100% with Amber on this one. I would not go and would do everything in my power to persuade my family not to, but the only reason I would be so against the visit is because of my emet. When my kids were ill recently, my mum offered to make the 4 hour trip to help out. I declined the offer as I didn't want to risk exposing her. I told her this but her response was "well, I'm not bothered if I catch it". Remember, most people aren't like us and would rather risk a bit of v* than miss a party/family gathering etc. How I wish I was like that!

Nevertheless, I fully understand your decision to stay home, I would do exactly the same!

Tell your mom to freeze all the fod, including the cake, and have it next weekend. Kim

Is the party for the one who is sick or for your aunt? Is it going to be at the house where the ill person is? Kim

the party was at my aunt's house for my cousin. she has four kids and one of her children had the sv* this morning when my mother called her just to see what time we should come, and my aunt just called about an hour ago and said that my other cousin (the birthday boy) is sick now too, "just to give us the heads up" i obviously did not go, neither did my sister (she isn't an emet at all, she just didn't want to lol). but my parents did go. they said my sick cousin stayed up in her room and rested the whole day. i guess i understand my aunt not wanting to cancel, but we all get together every single weekend! we all live about 15 minutes from eachother and each week we switch off houses. even if we just order pizza or chinese food, we spend every sunday together, so it wouldn't have been a big deal to hold it off a week (his birthday isn't until thursday anyway) and now that he's sick too, i am freaking out. i knew this was going to happen. on top of that, my aunt sent all kinds of food home for my sister and i that i am obviously not going to eat because she's been handling it all day. guess i'll have to wait and see if anybody else gets sick :\

thank you everyone for your replies!!

Oh boy-good luck with the waiting game. I hope you and your little family are okay and don't catch it! I would sneak and throw away that food just to be sure nobody eats it[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img], but I'm extremely paranoid with food stuff!

Last year my Grandma had an sv, but only with d and she made food for everyone and I did not eat it, but my 2 aunts and one uncle did and they got sick too! I told her not to make food for others, but they never listen, they just think I'm a germ freak! I understand people not wanting to mess up big plans they have and everything, it's just that I don't see the need for more people to be exposed, it just leads to the sv season lasting longer. It's just my opinion and obviously everyone has their own. I would have postponed it, especially since his birthday isn't til Thursday-next weekend would have been fine!

I hope all of them feel better soon! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

thank you dayna! so far soo good...

Just don't eat the food they sent over. Throw your portion in the trash or take it to you room and pretend to eat it - then feed it to the trash can or the dog.

The waiting game always sucks. You guys are always around each other, so I am assuming this has happened before? What did you do the last time when someone got sick - did you still get together that weekend?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This story is quite bizarre, in my view. Who on this earth would have a party for a sick kid? It makes no sense. What kind of fund did this child have in between v** episode? This party could, and should, have been postponed.

And no --- don't eat the food. Anyone who ventures on with such an event would not be vigilant about hand washing.

Stella

purpleteacher- last time somebody was sick was on thanksgiving. two of my cousins had a sv* and they simply didn't come over. so i had nothing to worry about :-) as for the food, it's gone. i convinced my sister not to eat it, my mom didn't touch it and my dad took a few bites of something, but threw the rest out.

stella- at the time of the party, my cousin who was celebrating his birthday was not sick, his sister was. he got sick later last night when everyone had already left, around 9:00 pm. i agree that the party should have been postponed. in my opinion, when one kid gets sick, there's a great chance that they all will. whenever i get sick, so does my sister and vice versa. so, i think my aunt should have put aside the fact that it "wasn't fair" to the birthday boy just because his sister was sick. the party could have easily been changed to next weekend; she just didn't want to waste all of the food she prepared. but now three of her four children are all sick and so is her husband, so the leftovers are going to waste anyway!

Your cousin was not V*** at the time of the party, but was obviously not better since he got sick after the party. However, his sister WASsick during the party.

I don't know your family so I won't make harsh judgments. What Icanopinionate was the lack of concern on the part ofyour aunt. Her logic is completely off kilter.Not being fair is not aaccurate assessment of canceling the party.She had a child v*** the night before and another one that day. Did she not have theresponsibility of caring for these children? How could she be nurse and party hostess at the same time? Waste the food? Who on earth, out of her v** brood, is eating anything? Now her whole immediate family is sick (and who else she exposed that does not live in herhouse).

Last fall, my son's best friend's birthparty was canceled. The birthday boy, who was on route from New Jersey that morning, v*due to car sickness. His mother still chose to postpone the party just in case he was sick she did not want to expose the other children to possible illness. I was so appreciative of her proactice choice. So were all the other parents. (It turns out he was fine.) The party was held one month later. Nothing lost.

Stella

she absolutely should have cancelled the party. unfortunately, i am the only person in my family who takes this so seriously. it's happened before and everybody would rather risk getting sick, i guess. i know that my parents did not necessarily want to go and be exposed to yet another sv* (they both had two this winter), but my mom figured that my aunt would be busy with the party, so atleast she would be there for my cousin if she needed anything. it was a stupid decision on my aunt's part, but i guess being exposed to people who apparently take so lightly to these types of things will make me more considerate when i'm a parent. i've learned that you just don't have birthday parties, family gatherings, etc. even at the first sign of a contagious virus!