Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Does this happen to anyone else? Every once in a while, I smell v* for no apparent reason at all. The first time it happened, I freaked and went to a hotel, because I was positive myfiance had been sick in the other room, and I wasn't about to go in and check. I smelled the phantom v* again this morning. I knew my fiance had been drinking last night, so I asked him if he had v'd and he said no. Why am I hallucinating smells? How can I make them go away? They don't bother me as much as they used to, but just the fact that I"m hallucinating really sucks.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

god i do this as well i thought i was totally mad opening windiows usally helps me

lyndsayanne

Yep, this happens to me also......

I went into Marks & Spencers (big store) late last year and smelled it, didnt go in for some time, went in again and smelled it again and again, I figured it must of been the manky carpet by the doors and becos it was damp!!!

It last happened a couple of weeks ago in another small grocery store, but I couldne see anything and as it was by the milk fridge, I figured it was dodgy milk, mind you I got outta the store pretty damn quick!!!

Unfortunately, yes. I know exactly what you are talking about.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Sometimes I think I smell it too. I just have to remind myself that many other things can "mimic" the smell of V* including passing gas, burping, bowel movements, bad food, and the list goes on. Some things just smell and or look like V*.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All I know is that yes I smell phantom vomit...but when I'm at home with my parents (Like today) my sister likes to make this thing where she melts cheese on crackers or ricecakes and it totally smells like vomit...I can't stand it! But yes I've been places where I thought I've smelled it and there was nothing there.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

parmesan cheese is the worst!!!

yes.
    ive woken up in the middle of the night and smelled it.
    but nothing is ever there.
    its truly the weirdest thing ever.
    but always sends me into a hizzy

Sometimes.

arrrrrrrrrrgh!!! i get this ALL THE TIME!!! the most often place i smell it is in clubs and pubs... and i freak out, hav a massive panick attack and hav to go home... i spose cos im always on the lookout for 'it' when ur surrounded by drunken v*-prone bodies and something wafts up or my brain just decides iv smelt it and thats it - im outta there... now that i think about it for some reason i tend to smell this phantom v* in places where v* usually occurs. such as clubs, in the car, planes and buses and trains (are the WORST), doctor's waiting rooms, hospitals and public toilets. a lot of the time i thnk its just our obsessive thoughts that come wit this phobia going into over-drive and making us think we'r in danger - as in there's 'it' around... i duno if that made sense i cant realy explain what im trying to say very well... lol
    stef - everything happens for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by smrud
    parmesan cheese is the worst!!!

I'll second that! Eewww.... and blu cheese smells too [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kel,

Try very hard to STAY wherever it is you are that you smell this smell. Keep "sniffing" and telling yourself that it's just some other smell AND/OR that whatever the smell is, it isn't dangerous. Running away will make your nose ultra-sensitive to triggers like certian plants, and other acidic smells. Say to yourself "it's just an acidic smell - it's not dangerous" and STAY in the situation. Otherwise, you'll add fuel to your phobia fire.

I know you can do this!

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I do this every now and then as well. Doesn't usually freak me out too much because generally it'll be somewhere I KNOW there's no vomit - normally something disgusting (yet not vomit-related) has gone down and it's my mind reacting to it weird o.o

Yes, me too. I've even smelled it in dreams and woken up still smelling it. GROOOOSSSSSS!

Yes when im having a bad day or walk into my mother work (works as a nurse in a nursing home) I think that I smell it there as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Can't I hallucinate the smell of my fiance's cologne instead? lol

Thanks for the advice Sage, I'll be sure to do that next time I smell the "phantom" vomit.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

I smell phantom vomit all the time. My emetophobic mind can twist any smell into vomit, and all cleaning-fluid vapors make me nervous. This is probably becausethe smellof vomit is what triggered my phobia. A girl had done it in my elementary school's library, and even though it had been cleaned up, the eerie, acidicsmell of something from the inside of my classmate's body stayed there. The worst part was, despite my pleading and nearly crying, I couldn't make my teacher understand and she wouldn't let me leave the library.

For some reason the smell of geraniums intensely upsets me. Probably because they surrounded my grandmother's coffin at her wake, and at the time I thought I was smelling the embalmment chemicals. That gave me a minor panic attack, which in turn made me feel nauseated and afraid I'd vomit at the wake.Edited by: juliet