Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been afraid of the "stomach flu" for about 25 years now-- maybe more--don't know what caused it--since my first child was old enough to get a virus--I panic--here in New England--prime stomach flu time runs anywhere from Sept.-May--so I am a nervous wreck all this time....at night I don't sleep well because if I hear a cough or a cry-I jump--my son had a stomach ache the other day and I completely panicked as usual-and as usual my husband was mean--I wanted to run and leave--it is like I am waiting for the bomb to drop--if anyone in my house gets "sick" I completely go off the deep end--shaking, panicking-wanting to leave so bad, heck, I would sleep in the car in 10 degree weather just to be away from the germs and the "noises" of someone getting sick! My husband usually has to end up taking care of the kids and cleaning up after them, but I am still the one to end up getting sick after....the best way I can describe my fear of nausea/vomiting--is to say I would rather cut my leg off with a butter knife with no anesthesia than throw up---I would rather have a cold or a broken bone every day of my life than to get sick--I know no one likes to get sick, but I am just so tired of feeling this way--if someone could email me back with their feelings/help I would so appreciate it--just knowing that emetophobia is a REAL thing helps a bit. Thanks.

I know how you feel, even though I don't have kids yet! I just posted in another thread last night that I'm getting married in July, and it makes me nervous to live with someone else who may catch the dreaded sv*. Making sure I don't is enough work as it is! I'm so sorry you feel that way, but I can completely relate. If I hear someone at work, church etc talk about how they and their family had recently been s*, I just want to run and get as far away from them as possible. I think I'm going to have the same problem when I start having kids.

Have you ever caught an sv* from them and v*? It seems that a lot of emet moms on this board only get d*.

Being an emet myself, I completely feel your pain and concerns! You're not alone! *hugs*

Sally, just a quick note to say that yes, I understand everything you are saying, even the butter knife thing! We are here for you! Welcome!

How old are your kids?
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I feel the exact same way, I don't understand why people hate colds so much, I always comment it could be worse. My family get sick a lot, they don't care if they v*, but when it comes to injuries, they panic and almost faint![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

Don't worry, this is a common thing, but at least you aren't saying "I'd rather kill myself than v*" and keeping the word like I did, trying to slit my wrists during a stomach flu epidemic.

One thing I find is that we actually tend to be more hygenic and sometimes, not always but sometimes eat healthier, drink less alchohol, etc. Not that emetophobia is entirely a good thing... but you get what I'm saying right? Try to look on the bright side.

It can be tough, especially when others just don't take it seriously, reading about poor mothers who have sick children and their husbands always complain about it and be mean to them, I mean, Jesus Christ!, it's like asking someone who's claustrophobic to climbinto a 50x50cm sewer pipe. People make fun of phobias, but they don't understand the serverity of emetophobia.

If someone throws a spider on you, and you're an arachnophobian, it would scare you, but they can brush the spider away and you won't be injured (Unless it bites, it might hurt) but you can sometimes laugh about it afterwards. Emetophobia is something considered more serious, if you think about it, it's a fear of no help being available, because you know that you might have to v* for a long period of time and not be able to stop that horrid feeling. Or perhaps it's linked to a tramatic experience in the past.

I hope this might have helped a bit, and I wish you and your family an ill-free life. Also to others in the forums, sorry for being a d**khead before, something, er, weird happened that I don't feel like explaining but it led to my carelessness.

-Jay.