Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey

I went to my doctor last week to tell her I'd had enough. I swear I have tried every antidepressant/antianxiety pill on the market. None of them have done their job, I still get panic attacks, anxiety attacks, and excessive worry. The last one I was on was Remeron - if anyone is looking to GAIN weight, take it. It was horrible.

So she put me on Effexor. So far I've been taking it and experiencing NO appetite, and I've been so nauseous that I was sure I would throw up. Not a whole lot of anxiety attached to that nausea though which was odd. Just that groaning sensation and that "ugh I hate this". Weird. Anyway I was wondering if anyone on here is currently taking it and how is it working for you? I am so discouraged with this phobia. I asked her if anti-anxiety pills were even effective for phobias - I told her all my anxiety spawns from this phobia so I have a hard time believing any pill will help. But she said that it redirects the obsessive thinking patterns. I dunno.

Any thoughts? Also, if anyone has experienced these nauseating side effects- how long does it last anyway??

Thanks!

Lisa

I had the nausea too when I first started Effexor, but it only lasted about 2-3 weeks... I know that seems long, but there is an end to it!! I never did v but had the feeling you're describing.

I had to quit the drug after about 3 months on it because of the weight gain and night sweats! You COULD BE different, so just wait it out!!

Good luck!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I've heard that you have to give these drugs a month to see their effect. Once they get the right one for you, they should really help.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes I had those side effects with Effexor. They do go away. I was on it and it really helped with my anxiety. Just hang in there. My doc gave me some Xanax to help curb the anxiety until the Effexor was in my system.

Okay good, I am not quite as nauseous, but sometimes it hits me like a ton of bricks. I am keeping my fingers crossed about this one..... I need some relief!!

Thanks for the responses! Always appreciated!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I am sorry you haven't been feeling too well. I was on effexor for a long time and it did help me but when I decided to come off it last year I had a terrible time. I had awful withdrawals to the point where I seriously wanted to end it all. I felt sick, had an upset stomach, head zaps and insomnia. I only managed to come off it completely in January after 14 months of trying and even now I still feel a bit weird without it. I really hope this doesn't happen to you but feel I should warn you as nobody in the medical proffession seems to! Good luck

luv Hayley
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.