Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I went to the doctor the other day because I've been super sick. Comes to find out that I have a very bad sinus infection. The doctor gave me bactrim and told me that I should be eating yogurt with it as could cause nausea, diarrhea, and even a yeast infection.

Has anyone taken this antibiotic?? If so, have you ever suffered from any of these symptoms?? Especially the yeast infection thing?? I would rather have the n* and d* over a yeast infection anyday....

sinus infections can be fought naturally if you so desire. (which is what i always choose)
    but hes a doctor, he probably knows what he is doing. maybe. haha. im a skeptic on doctors.

anyways.
    ALL antibiotics can cause urinary tract infections, and yeast infections, and infections in general, because its killing the good bacteria in the body(as well as the bad)...

and you should be eating yogurt REGARDLESS.
    and is especially vital if you're doing antibiotics.

from what ive read on the boards, some antibiotics can cause d*...
    but thats nothing to be alarmed about, especially since you know the cause!

Make sure you eat with it and take it at the same times everyday. It is a strong antibiotic and it can upset your stomach, which is why food isvery helpful. It works wonders on infections though!
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All I know is that I that I hate yogurt. And that I've gone three days now without symptoms of side effects so maybe I'm in the clear...?? unless, they wait until AFTER I'm done taking it.

I took Bactrim and I got a yeast infection...but I get a yeast infection with almost all antibiotics

Meliss,

I hate yogurt too. Go to the health food store and get a bottle of "acidophilus, bifidus and lactobicilus"These are the bacteria found in yogurt AND naturally in your digestive system and the antibiotic kills them along with the bad bacteria you're trying to kill in your sinus. The "good ones" are needed for digestion which causes the nausea and also leads to the yeast growing. So that should do the trick. No yogurt and you feel much better .

Sinus infections, left untreated, btw, can lead to infections which quickly infiltrate the roots of teeth, the ear system, and eventually the brain. They can also become extremely painful. I'd go with the bactrim!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

You can buy milk called acidophalis (forgive the spelling) milk that has the good bacteria in it so you won't get d* or a yeast infection. I've had it before and it tastes like regular milk. Once I had a terrible kidney infection that threatened my right kidney--the thought they might have to remove it. I was on all kinds if antibiotics thru an IV in the hospital. The Dr.s told me about the milk. Anybody heard of Mayfield milk? Its a dairy around here and even they make it.

I never had any side effects from bactrim other than it making me very thirsty. You are suppose to drink plenty of fluids while on it.

Good Luck!

I think I've taken bactrim before but I can't remember if I had any side effects. I definitely would remember any really bad ones, if you know what I mean! If you don't like yogurt, get some acidophilus tablets and take them. I have definitely gotten a yeast infection from taking antibiotics. But if you have a sinus infection you should take the antibiotics and get it cleared up.

Feel better!

Kim
    Keep the faith!
    Philippians 4:6-7

I went to walgreens and picked up acidophilus (sp)/probitotic. I decided to just do that because my tummy started rumbling after I ate lunch today and I had 1 bout of d*. I guess it just took a few days for the bactrim to kick in a screw up the good bacteria.

blech...

actually it won't take days - so you've already experienced the worst, and it will be better now. I know this cuz I had cancer and chemo 10 years ago, and the reason you get nauseous from chemo is because stomach cells reproduce very quickly (as do cancer cells) so they get killed off right away, but they also reproduce right away.

So no worries now....

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Yeah, I know it's because of the antibiotic, but I am miserable today with n*, d*, etc...I have only had a little bit of mashed potatoes today and nothing else...and that i felt like i wanted to v* back up. i am so miserable....

i'm thinking of calling the doctor to find out if there is anything else i can go on that won't kill be like this...

Quote Originally Posted by melissarene

I went to the doctor the other day because I've been super sick. Comes to find out that I have a very bad sinus infection. The doctor gave me bactrim and told me that I should be eating yogurt with it as could cause nausea, diarrhea, and even a yeast infection.

Has anyone taken this antibiotic?? If so, have you ever suffered from any of these symptoms?? Especially the yeast infection thing?? I would rather have the n* and d* over a yeast infection anyday....

Yes. The doctor is right. I didn't eat with it once and experienced all of these symptoms really bad. Definately take it with yogurt.

I can not stand yogurt (makes me want to gag. ) so I bought acidophillus in pill form, as this is the other idea the DR had. Not working for me so far....argh....

Turns out I was getting SUPER sick from the antibitotic. Bactirm is also known as Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim and after talking to my mom, I apparently used to be allergic to it when I was younger...