Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just read in today's newspaper that they put a medical office/clinic in a grocery store!!! You know how some stores have a small bank branch in them? Well, now they have these clinics. OK, I have a huge problem with this. People go into the store to buy food, and what's there? Sick people! Do you guys think that is somewhat a health violation? I know that people go to the store sick anyways, but this is ridiculous! They even said in the paper that patients can do their shopping while they wait to be seen, and they'll call them in on the loudspeaker! So, these sick people are touching the carts, the food, and also thise debit/credit card machines/pens. Usually when there's a sick person, a relative or friend would go to the store to buy them some meds, or soup. But now these people will be touching the stuff themselves[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

For example, there's one guy who went in and was diagnosed with strep throat, exposing other people to it because it's highly contagious. At least if you walk ino a free-standing doctor's office, you know you're being exposed, but by walking into a grocery store, you don't expect this! WHat do you all think of this??
    ~*~Charlene~*~

In a grocery store????? Where in Cali are you? Do you know what grocery store chain?

That is absolutely insane! I can just imagine someone with sv or any other contagious nasty walking by the produce department to get to the clinic, coughing on the veggies.

I actually kinda like the idea. I think it makes a doctor's office a little easier to get to and most people won't be using that type of service unless that is their only option. It also helps the store get business because after they get through seeing the doctor, then they can go get their chicken soup and their script filled - then go straight home.

Do you know exactly what type of clinic it is going to be? I think it is a good way to multi-task, especially if the clinic is mainly for "non-emergencies" and or wellness. Some clinics are literally there for immunizations or check-ups. Maybe it is there so people can get emergency contraception without having to go the local hospital or something?

So many people are contagious and walking around the supermarket already, so I personally see no harm.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seems kinda odd... Like putting a vet clinic at a gas station... Who thinks of this stuff?
    \"This too shall pass\"

I would take the vet clinic in a gas station or a grocery store, lol!!!!

I think that is awful to put a doctors office in a grocery store. I mean seriously, how can that be healthy? Emet or not, how many people want to go shopping for FOOD, while sick people are wandering around the store waiting to be seen by a doctor. I know that sick people go into the grocery store anyway, but I think having a doctors office in the store is gonna greatly increase the number of people who do that. I just dont think its right, and it cant be healthy.

Just out of curiosity, what chain of grocery store is doing this? I think donna1216 (it may have been someone else) posted something one time about a grocery store in her area doing this.

I'm really not a fan of this! I'm freaked out enough about the dr's office, now I have to be equally freaked out about the grocery store-damn, I need a cure! Nasty thought though!

I'm with Purpleteacher- as it is now, a great deal of doctor's offices and clinics are in the same strip malls as grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, etc. The clinic near my boyfriends apartment is between a grocery store and a laudromat- and my doctor when I lived at home is in the same complex as the grocery store we frequent. Hell, the larger grocery stores have a pharmacy department, where the 'sick people' go to get their prescriptions filled anyway (as the dispensing fee is cheaper than at the pharmacy). It's only really inevitable that eventually the two became combined- when I was in australia, the clinic I went to because my face swelled to the point of grotesqueness was in a department store.

Besides, there are many reasons why people end up at clinics, not all of which involve cold, flu, viruses, etc. AS teacher mentioned there are immunizations, contraception (which, while I was at the clinic in Australia, that was why the majority of the people were there. Probably so they didn't have to ask their family doctor), small cuts, sprains, and just for regular check ups. The clinic I go to has the option of getting a family doctor through them, so all those routine things you go see your family doctor for, you end up at the clinic.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find it bizarre really, to be paying for food in the same place people who are ill go, I wouldn't go to my Dr if I had to go to a grovery store, mostly because when I'm ill I look and feel like crap and the last thing I want is to be around food and other people, I would be strongly put off going to a Dr in a shop unless it was my only choice.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I had completely forgotten about the pharmacies inside of grocery stores! I guess it is because I go to those all of the time and don't think twice about it.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I think it's just plain stupid to put a doc office or clinic in a grocery store!!! How gross to be sick and still buying food and touching everything...it's just going to be spreading more germs twice as fast....just is disgusting.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

where do you live and what grocery store is it?

MARIEB73~ I am in Phoenix Arizona, US. I am CALIFORNIAGIRL because that's where I was born and raised (and hope to return to). :-) It's true, about coughing on the veggies---gross!!!!!!!

PURPLETEACHER CRIM~ As for the convenience of being able to pay for the scripts and grab some chicken soup after being seen by the dr.--usually, in my experience, the sick person himself wouldn't normally go to the store, it'd be a friend or family member. Also, there are pharmacies now with drive-thru windows, which is great so people stay in their cars and don't expose people and kids in the store. The inside dr. just INCREASES the amount of exposure for people who aren't sick, just shopping. There is no logic to this at all. The health care system is bad enough, the amount of sick people in schools, workplaces, etc, are causing problems, and I see no difference in going to a regular dr. clinic that is not in a grocery store!!! If people can walk into a free-standing store, they can walk into a free-standing Dr. office. This is ridiculous, any way you look at it.

JENNYLEIGH, MARIEB, LIZ28~ I am in Phoenix, Arizona, and the store it's in now is FOOD CITY, and they will be putting them into the BASHA'S stores soon, which is where I shop!

SHIVA, DAYNA, HIPPYCHICK, KATE~ I totally agree with you all!!

~*~Charlene~*~

this is such a disturbing topic, haha. i don't even know what to say. it's bad enough i have to stay vigilant when people cough around me at the video rental store.

<<This is ridiculous, any way you look at it.>>

Just because you think it is ridiculous, I doesn't mean that it necessarily is, or that everyone is of that opinion. You always have the option of not using the facility- others who enjoy the convenience or who don't have any issue with these 2 places co-existing will. Also, there is a difference between an emergency clinic, and one that offers limited services. I for one would like to see what those services are.

Like I said previously- most clinics around here are in the same strip malls or facilities as grocery and other types os stores, this isn't necessarily much difference. In Ottawa there are actually very few free-standing clinics or doctors offices, they are usually attached to or in the same complex as other things.

As for others picking up food or even presciptions- with the amount of single people in the world, I do think a significant portion of people pick up what they need themselves. I know that even now that I am dating and in the process of moving in with someone, if I either require a prescription or need a specific food that I know will be kind on my stomach, I go myself. I figure the longer I wait, the longer I will feel nasty, especially when it comes to meds. That, and my boyfriend works 12 hour shifts, so once he is gone it's not like I can call him home from work to pick me up some crackers.

I think the main thing here isn't whether it is right or wrong- because no one can inherently be right when it comes to situations such as this. You can have a personal opinion, but it doesn't mean that it is "right" and should be enforced as such. I think the real question is that of choice- if the combining of these two services makes you uncomfortable, then that is completely your prerogative and you can choose not to use it. If you think it is a good idea and it would make your life more convenient, power to you.

*amber*

I think that's just wrong! I mean why put a clinic in a grocery store? That's just freakina BAD idea. I really hope that they don't start doing that here, cause then I won't shop where I normally shop and have to find another place. Wouldn't doing something as unhealthy as that cause a drop in business?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I think there is one going in to the Walmart where I live. You have to admit that is gross considering the general Wal-mart audience, LOL. Of course, I think it's rather disgusting that there is a McDonalds in Wal-mart too.

Don't get me wrong, I shop at Wal-mart, and so do a lot of people I know, yet somehow there always seems to be mainly weirdos in there.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

They're talking about opening some of those clinics around here too. I'm not sure which stores they are thinking about. I've heard they are doing that at Wal Marts on a test basis. Most people would go for cough, sprained ankle whatever, but there would be the inevitable dumbass that will decide to go there because they've been v* and they're out offabric softenerand the kids want some Little Debbies.

Thanks for your replies! Now I know I'm not crazy in thinking that this idea sucks! Of course there are those who HAVE to butt heads with me on a subject, but my thoughts are that this is a stupid idea, and there's no significance to it at all. To thise who agree, thank you all for your support I really do appreciate it. I will be writing my views to the newspaper and grocery stores. I'll let you know if they reply to me. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I still think it is gross to actually put a doctors clinic in a grocery store, but I have thought about this some more today. There are pharmacies in Wal-Marts and many grocery stores .......... there are sick people in there anyway. Not everyone is going to think like we do and say "Hey, I (my kid(s) hubby) have been v'ing, maybe I shouldnt go to Wal-Mart, ect....") People these days dont give a damn what they do.

I do, however, think that by putting an actual doctors office in a grocery store will of course, put even more sick people out in a store and that kinda freaks me out.

Edited by: jennyleigh1975

That is not very smart or hygienic! UGH! Whoever came up with that crap needs his head examined!

EWWWWWWW!

I dont even know what to say.. Except...

EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell are they thinking? I hope they dont put one in your main store Charlene, that would suck to have to find a new one.

--Kim

Why can't we have divergent views without it being that someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong? There is no real right or wrong with this issue anyway. It's a matter of personal comfort levels.

Anyway, my initial reaction to this prospect of the clinic inside the supermarket is that it's gross, and I wouldn't shop there. I'd go find another supermarket without a clinic, as presumably they won't ALL have one.

Then, I read what crim and purpleteacher wrote, and I thought about it, and I was like, well, they make quite a valid point. If you go to Walgreens, CVS, Walmart etc., sick people are there picking up prescriptions and then buying the other items that they need. I realize that I've done it myself for myself. I am a single woman. My sister lives sixty miles away. I have friends, but unless I were completely incapable of moving, I would not send them for my prescription and medicines and food. I get my sick ass in the car and do it myself. And I'm certainly not the only one who does it herself.

So thanks for the differing viewpoint crim and purple. It helped me to keep this in perspective instead of just thinking about the potential foulness.

I can see both sides, and I agree with both sides, BUT, I still think that a grocery store is not a place for a doctors office. I know that people go in the grocery store all the time when they are not feeling well. Its not just single people that have to do this, its people like me with a husband that works and that leaves me no choice sometimes but to take myself or a sick child in somewhere to fill a prescription. However, when they are v'ing, I go to a drive thru pharmacy. My only point about the doctors office in the grocery store is that it would increase the number of sick people in the store.

Ok, like I think enough sick people are going to the grocery store anyway (ie there's often a pharmacy there anyways or non perscription drugs, not to mention that sick people do need to get stuff from the store). I'm just looking at it from the people going to the clinic in the store...no way would I like to have my name announced over the store loudspeaker and have everyone in the store knowing I'm sick with something. Thanks, but no.

JENNYLEIGH`` Good point--it is INCREASING the risk of well people getting sick. I think it is just unfair to expose people, and like I said before, I wonder if it is a health violation issue to blatantly mix obviously sick people with well people, especially in a food store. I do NOT see the SIGNIFICANCE of having clinics in grocery stores. JENNY, I like the drive-thru pharmacies, they're great for contagious people, also if someone's sick and just wearing their PJ's and not wanting to be in a store because they look and feel terible.[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Japa- glad I could help you see the other side.

Well, looking online, there is a lot of support of this idea, which I don't think should automatically be discarded. It's good to get the opinion of non-emets on this issue, as sometimes it's too easy to stay within our emet-box.

"However, according to an online Business Pulse poll conducted by the San Antonio Business Journal, a majority of survey participants say having a clinic inside their local grocery store is a positive step in health care.

Sixty-eight percent of voters view grocery-store clinics as a positive development, while 25 percent do not. Another 6 percent are undecided."

http://sbs.smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r...rticle.php?mci d=61&scid=96&aid=17790
    <DIV class=PhorumReadText>There are ALWAYS sick people in the grocery stores--pay attention when you shop--they are there to pick up over the counter drugs, prescriptions and chicken noodle soup! Think of another excuse not to like this idea!!! I commend this concept and WILL use it as a mom with small children. (Lasa7038, March 25, 2006 01:54PM)</DIV>
    <HR align=center width=300>

<DIV class=PhorumReadText>I don't think that Medimin will affect the doctor/patient relationship at all. We don't know what our doctor looks like anymore, it's a physician's assistant or a hospitalist (who doesn't have a clue about our health history) who sees us. I hope the insurance companies wake up soon — Medimin is a great idea!!! (J P163, March 23, 2006 11:08PM)</DIV>
    <DIV class=PhorumReadText></DIV>
    <DIV class=PhorumReadText>
    <DIV class=PhorumReadText>What a great idea!!!!!!! Where do I sign up for a job, I love the concept. Special treatment, at a great cost. Beats the sitting in an ER or Urgent Care at a HMO, and $50.00 is a great price not only for the patient, but for the insurance companies. It's a win win set up. (Gail8903, March 23, 2006 04:26PM)</DIV>

<DIV class=PhorumReadText>As a retired AF dependant and a nurse, I have asthma flairups every year, its great this is happening as long as those operating the clinics are compentant with giving information. (sa3588, March 23, 2006 02:44PM)</DIV>

<DIV class=PhorumReadText>Awesome concept. This is going to take off faster than a sale on pork chops...hahaha. Really though, we need to be able to have the ability to free up ER visits for life-threatening events. This is a perfect way to accomodate that need. It will benefit the pt's in that for example they can be seen for a fever of unknown cause and be treated or referred to their primary care md or to the ER if need be. There are so many indidviduals that wait forever in ERs in AZ for an ear infection,throat infection, flu, etc. The ER isn't the ideal place for them to be. A doctor's office is, but they aren't always able to see pt's on the same day. MediMin fulfills this need. We should see less of an influx of pt's to ERs in the near future as a result. (Gina2599, March 23, 2006 02:42PM)</DIV>

<DIV class=PhorumReadText>It's about time! Thank you. (Rim5242, March 23, 2006 11:33AM)</DIV>
    <DIV class=PhorumReadText></DIV>
    <DIV class=PhorumReadText><A href="http://www.azcentral.com/community/westvalley/articles/0323clinics0323.html" target="_blank">http://www.azcentral.com/community/w...articles/0323c lini

To each his own.

I still think it's a horrendous idea.

There are URGENT CARE CENTERS that run the same way, and there's no open food contamination risk.

I know that everyone has a right to their opinion, and my opinion is that these clinics are unnecessary, unsanitary, and utterly ridiculous, and I will not be made to feel that my feelings are looked down upon. Why does everything have to beturned intocontroversy CRIM? I am just stating my views, as is everyone else. I also think the facts that I've stated have some validity to them, if they didn't, most people wouldn't agree with me. I will still take a stand against this and write to the necessary parties with my concerns.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

EXACTLY- to each his own.

Hey, and I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T write the necessary parties if you really feel strongly on the issue. And I'm not turning anything into controversy, I'm just stating a different opinion. Just because I don't agree with something you say doesn't mean that I'm trying to start a fight, or anything of the like. I just think that other opinions on the issue should be heard, as they are just as valid. There are always two sides to an issue, and neither one is inherently right or wrong but both should have the right to be heard.

&lt;&lt;Why can't we have divergent views without it being that someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong? There is no real right or wrong with this issue anyway. It's a matter of personal comfort levels. &gt;&gt;

I agree whole-heartedly with this.

*amber*

I just don't know about this. It doesnt seem right. I can see the pros and cons, but I just think its unhygenic for some reason

I guess Im thinking, you wouldn't want a sick macdonalds worker handling your food, nor would you want a sick person to handle the food at a grocery store you are about to buy.. but we can't control everything. We can't control who comes in and out, sick or not sick regardless of a clinic.

guys, the only thing we can control is OURSELVES. If this becomes the norm, there will always be smaller grocery stores we can by from if we choose. Regardless or not if it happens, it won't be the end of the world.Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

BABYDOLL~~ You're right!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~