Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I don't really know what is going on with him. It started on Saturday night. We took his little brother to the bowling alley and he ate a piece of his brother's pizza. About an hour after that, his stomach started to hurt. He has a problem with red sauce (pizza, spaghetti, etc.) so we assumed it was just that. He didn't feel well all night, had some d*, stil wasn't feeling great Sunday morning, but felt better by late morning. He ate lunch at home and was fine, then we went out to dinner. He had chicken fried chicken, and started feeling bad again. I went out with my family, and he stayed home. When I got home, he was already in bed, but told me that he was feeling a little better, but was really gassy. This morning he said he was feeling better, but I just talked to him and now he feels bad again. He said he feels like v*. I told him yesterday he should call a doctor for a new precription for Prevacid, but he hasn't because he is thinking it is just a bug. Does this sound like a bug? It has come and go over the past few days, he has eaten plenty, had a little bit of d* but not bad, and so far kept everything down.

He also felt like this about a week and a half ago after he ate a hamburger (I had one too and felt fine). He said he thought the meat was bad. I know he won't call the doctor, but I am thinking about calling for him. He has a hietal hernia, whicih may be acting up for all I know. Of course I am panicked now that it is a sv, but if it were, would it keep coming and going like this? He said that he kept burping and it tasted nasty yesterday morning after the pizza. I'm not sure what he feels like now. We are both at work and it is difficult to talk about symptoms like that when other people are around. He does sound awful though - much worse than he has the last couple of days. Do you think it is a sv or something else? Please help! I am starting to freak out! I've done well all weekend thinking it was just indigestion, but now I am scared.

Sillygirl -

I think it could DEFINETELY be the hernia. Also sounds a little like gall bladder problems because it seems to be worse with rich/greasy foods. A friend of mine had gall stones and had those same symtpoms. I would make him an appointment with the doctor. The sv that's going around is nasty - but it wouldn't be lingering this long.

Keep us posted on how he's doing...

It doesnt sound like a bug to me. It sounds like it is food related. He needs to stay away from spicy, greasy foods. Do he see a gastroenterologist?

I am sure you'll be fine.

He is frustrated with doctors. He did go see a gastro doc, the same one that diagnosed his hernia when he had an endoscopy for h pylori. He went in a few months ago because he was having these same kinds of problems, and he was retested for h pylori. It didn't come back, but he was never treated for anything else. They just kind of blew it off.He mentioned the hernia, and no one seemed concerned about it. They said a lot of people have them and that they are no big deal. They gave hima prescription for Nexium, but it gave him really bad constipation and d*, so he quit taking it. He took Prevacid before and it seemed to help, but he is out of it. He doesn't want to go in, waste the money on another appointment, just to have them tell him there is nothing wrong without doing any tests. I think because he is so young they assume there is nothing wrong with him. I can't take this anymore! He just called and said he thinks it is a bug becasue he feels really hot and just like he needs to v*. He can't take him temperature at work, so there is no way to know if he really has a fever or not. I am so scared that maybe this really is a bug. It just seems kind of weird. Now my stomach is starting to hurt. I've been followng my usual emet practices, but I haven't been as careful as I would be is I knew he had a sv. I am so scared I am going to get this!

I know that you're scared - that's probably what's making your stomach hurt right now. Try to relax.

Why don't you call the doctor and just inquire as to whether or not his symptoms could be related to the hernia. If they can be - it will probably calm you down a bit. I understand about being fed up with doctors, but if you can get them to tell you if his symptoms can be related to the hernia,you'll have another variable in there. Is there any way he can get to the pharmacy and get some more Prevacid to see if that helps?

He can go to the pharmacy, but his prescription is expired, and he doesn't want to have to wait to get in to see the doctor to get a prescription. He basically just hates doctors, and is really discouraged in how they never think his problems are a big deal. So he is pretty much resigned to the fact that is it is a bug. I hope he's wrong! I wish he had tld me that earlier so I could have been more careful! He knows about my phobia and is usually very understanding. I feel awful now!

Doesn't sound like a bug to me. It really sounds food related. Usually with a sv it hits and is over with in 12-24 hours. I also have reflux and a hiatal hernia and have felt nauseated with it depending on foods I've eaten. The following is right out of a brochure from my gastro doc's office:

<<<Avoid sodas that contain caffeine, chocolate, peppermint, spicy foods like pizza, acid foods like oranges or tomatoes, fried and fatty foods. Avoiding food 2-3 hours before bed may help.

Symptoms: persistent heartburnandacid regurgitation are main symptoms. Some people have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) without heartburn. Instead they experience pain in the chest, hoarseness, or trouble swallowing. You may feel like you have food stuck in your throat or like you are choking or your throat is tight.

Medications: antacids, such as alka seltzer, maalox, mylanta, pepto bismol, rolaids, and riopan. Many brands on the market use different combinations of three basic salts - magnesium, calcium, and aluminum - with hydroxide or bicarbonate ions to neutralize acid in the stomach. Combining these salts in a single product balances the effects they can cause (diarrhea & constipation).>>>

If he doesn't want to try any OTC meds, he can't just try calling the doctor's office and telling them that the nexium didn't agree with him and asking for prevacid instead? I had to change meds when I first got that type of med and I just called the office and told them. I didn't have to go back in.

Anyway, sorry this got a bit lengthy. Hang in there and try to calm down. It really doesn't sound like a sv to me from what you said he ate and how far apart his symptoms have been.

Kim

Keep the faith!
    Philippians 4:6-7

I called his normal doc and they were out of the office today, so I called his gastro doc. He was also on vacation, but at least his nurse was there and she said she would call in a prescription for Prevacid. She wouldn't give me a definite answer on sv or not, but she said if he gets any worse to take him to urgent care. She did think it sounded possibly related to what he ate. I mention how much ibuprofen he takes and she said that can cause ulcers too. She wants him to make another appointment. When I told him that he said "Why, so they can take my money and not do anything again?" I am going to make him go though - even if I have to go with him. They are going to run every test possible and figure out what is worng with him for once. I am still scared this is a sv, but when he has had sv in the past, it was really obvious. He always had the bad d*, plus that is no way he could have stayed at work. He is leaving a little early today, but I would think that with a sv he would have left immediately. I guess I will just have to wait and see how he is doing.

Do keep us posted...
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, I guess he went home about an hour ago. The last time I talked to him, he said he was laying on the couch watching a movie. My BIL and SIL are over (they are 5 and 16) so I hope they don't get it either, if it is a sv. I know this is bad, but I am kind of relieved that they are going home today just in case it is a sv. I don't htink I could deal with either of them getting it too. He didn't stop at the pharmacy to get his prescription even though I told him it was there. I think that he still is convinced it is a sv so he doesn't think it will help. I aske dif he wanted me to get it on the way home and he said "If I want." He said he would take it if I did, but I can tell he doesn't think it will help. He hasn't eaten anything all day. I asked if he was hungry, and he said he kind of was this morning, but didn't eat because he thought it would go away if he didn't - it got worse. He doesn't think he has a fever. I go home from work in about 2 hours, so I will see how he is then.

Ok - now I am really thinking ulcer. He has been laying on the couch and said he feels better. I aske dif he ate anything and he said he had some cheese. If it were a sv, I don't think cheese would make him feel better. Isn't one sign of an ulcer when eating makes you feel better? He sounded bette and he said he elt better, so hopefully it isn't a sv after all. I will get hisprescription after work and make him stick to bland foods for awhile. Hopefully it will help.

i was reading about ulcers today ..
    and in fact it did say that symptoms are temporarily relieved after eating...

My mom has had trouble with stomach ulcers. She used to v* and have diarrhea all the time. Terrible pain too. She has been on loads of meds and has had several surgeries.

Is there another gastro doc he could go to?

I went to the pharmacy to pick up his precription and apparantly his insurance company does not cover this drug unless the doctor sends in some kind of authorization saying he has to have this particular medicine (they don't make a generic). Of course it was already 6:30 when I got there, so the doctor's office was closed. It looks like he will have to suffer until tomorrow. He has eaten a bagel and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He is startign to agree with me about the ulcer thing. He gets better while he is sitting or laying down, but when he starts moving around (he tried to pick up the house) it gets a lot worse. I feel a little better that it is not a sv, but there is still that little emet monster in the back of my mind saying "what if?" I need to eat something, but I really don't want to. I hope he feels better soon! He promised me he is going to stop eating spicy and greasy foods, take his medicine regularly (once he gets it) and go to the doctor if it doesn't get better. In the past, he does these things for a couple of days, then when he starts feeling better he stops, and I'm sure the ulcer doesn't have time to completely heal. Hopefully it will be an uneventful night!

Does not sound at all likea sv. It appears to be a resounding theme in his life. It is time to get him to a gastroenterlogist.

Stella

Dontcha just love those insurance companies? I've been on nexium since last May and am fighting with mine about *authorization* and a friend of mine has been taking aciphex for several years and is having to do the same thing. For some reason it seems like lots of folks are getting hounded by their insurance company about taking that type of drug. Pisses me off. If I didn't need the stupid drug, the doctor wouldn't have prescribed it. And why would I pay $46 a month for a drug I didn't need?????[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

Kim
    Keep the faith!
    Philippians 4:6-7