Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

what cani eat when igo tolos angeleswheni don't have the convenience of my stove. i'm frightened to go this wednesday now because I heardmy family has decided to eat fast food.i never eat fast food. hell,i don't even trust subway most of the time. what cani order for a meal that will lower myrisks of getting food poisoning?i always stay away from lettuce because that's one of the first things to go bad. i didn't think this would be a problem, but it unfortunately has become one. i want to enjoy my vacation not dread it. any help is appreciated.

Lettuce or salad is usually what I do order when I go fast food (earlier in the day is better for salads because they are usually made fresh in the morning hours). I always check it for freshness and when it isn't fresh, I tell them and ask for another salad (always check before you pull away in the car).

I also order french-fries or something else that isn't meat that can be fried in hot oil.

I love getting Apple Dippers from McNasty's - that and french fries are the only 2 things I will eat there besides a fountain drink.

Baked potato's from Wendy's are usually fine.

Custom order anything else you eat. Order extra mayo or pickles or no lettuce or something - ANYTHING, to make your order special so they have to custom make it. That usually makes me feel a little better.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i don't eat fast food to begin because it makes me feel awful after i'm done eating it. there are very few fast food joints in my own area that i trust. i think the only place i'd feel comfortable eating (if we go the fast food route) is subway. when i went on vacation to florida a few years ago the only thing i ate was tuna fish subs when we didn't go to a restaurant. i'll be damned if i get food poisoning while i'm on 'vacation'. thank you for the advice. i heard lettuce was the first to go bad though.

Can you just pack your meals for the day then instead of eating out somewhere?
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm with you asagao! I refuse to eat at any fast food joint with the exception of Subway. French fries tend to murder my stomach as I hardly ever eat greasy foods. Can your family stop at a Subway for you? Just tell them that fast food bothers your stomach, hopefully they'll understand!

i thought about bringing a cooler, but i never know when food expires, so i'm screwed either way, haha. i guess the only thing i can do is avoid meat and hope for the best. if we're at a restaurant, and i can see that my steak is well done then it's obviously not going to be as bothersome. i just don't want my anxiety to get the best of me and ruin my vacation.

PANERA BREAD

Quote Originally Posted by asagao
    i thought about bringing a cooler, but i never know when food expires, so i'm screwed either way, haha. i guess the only thing i can do is avoid meat and hope for the best. if we're at a restaurant, and i can see that my steak is well done then it's obviously not going to be as bothersome. i just don't want my anxiety to get the best of me and ruin my vacation.

PB&J, chips, and a canned soda in the cooler. Crackers, fresh fruit (apple or orange or banana or something), and a granola bar. Dry cereal, fruit snacks, trail mix, etc... are all options for your own meal. Why not suggest having a picnic in the park? You could also bbq (freeze your meats ahead of time and throw them in a cooler of ice). Bring all fresh condiments and open them on the spot. Bring some board games and some toys and play at the park. Cheaper than going out to a resturant!

You know if lettuce is spoiled by how it looks, tastes, and feels. You also know if veggies aren't good by how they taste - so salads are pretty good... usually... but anyfruit orveggiethat isn't pasturized/ frozen/ or cookedis always running a risk for food poisoning.
    FACEBOOK ME --

i thought i could bring a cooler with me ...fat chance. my dad basically read the rites of passage. 'you can choose to eat with us or not'. fair enough. he also made it clear that no special accommodations are being made. after the riot act was read i was told these 6 days were supposed to be fun; in other words, i'm the hindrance stopping everyone from enjoying their lives. how can i not feel like absolute s***?Edited by: asagao

Quote Originally Posted by asagao
    i thought i could bring a cooler with me ...fat chance. my dad basically read the rites of passage. 'you can choose to eat with us or not'. fair enough. he also made it clear that no special accommodations are being made. after the riot act was read i was told these 6 days were supposed to be fun; in other words, i'm the hindrance stopping everyone from enjoying their lives. how can i not feel like absolute s***?

Then just don't eat. Order a soda or a water and enjoy the rest of the trip. Eat a good meal before you leave or the night before. One day without food won't hurt you - just make sure you have something tasty when you get home.

In terms of Panera Bread --- I think I might have had a mild case of FP from there last weekend. Nothing serious, but my stomach was really off for a few days after eating there.
    FACEBOOK ME --

I refuse any macdonalds, kfc, etc since I caught a horriffic salmonella infection from the mcnuggets. The police looked into it and discovered that the nuggets were being cooked right but SOMEONE JUST HAD TO NOT WASH THEIR HANDS! GOD I HATE THAT!!! SOME STUPID MORON!!!

Ah well, as suggested above, pack a lunch or have some lovely salad. People who don't eat fast food are almost always going to live healthier.

Asago -

Pack some bread, cans of tune, peanut butter and jelly in your suitcase. Then, just eat a sandwich before everyone leaves for dinner and have a soda or water at dinner to avoid the food. I wouldn't make a production of it - just enjoy yourself at the restaurant without eating. That way - your family isn't making any concessions for you and your emet - but you won't starve either...

Some crackers are always good to eat.

Lettuce or salad is usually what I do order when I go fast food
    (earlier in the day is better for salads because they are usually made
    fresh in the morning hours). I always check it for freshness and
    when it isn't fresh, I tell them and ask for another salad (always
    check before you pull away in the car).

I also order french-fries or something else that isn't meat that can be
    fried in hot oil.

I love getting Apple Dippers from McNasty's - that and french fries
    are the only 2 things I will eat there besides a fountain drink.

Baked potato's from Wendy's are usually fine.

Custom order anything else you eat. Order extra mayo or pickles or
    no lettuce or something - ANYTHING, to make your order special so
    they have to custom make it. That usually makes me feel a little
    better.

um yeah don't go for salad, or mayo, or anything that isn't cooked.
    At least cooking has the chance of killing somethings. And pototaoes
    are the not a good choice...because it is the perfect phbalance to
    bread bacteria like crazy if not handeled properly. Stick with safe
    things like you would at home...bread, fruit, that you bring yourself.
    You family seems not to understand you at all. I'm sorry. I really
    wish you luck. Pizza might not be that bad, if you can manage that
    one?
    I love Sam