Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any bad side effects to taking pepto bismal too much? I try and not take it so much anymore, I have had bad spells where i took it mebe 2-3 times in a week, but I try and hold off as much as possible unless I feel Im dyin without it. Does anyone know what it could do to you if you keep taking it somewhat frequently?I never used to ever take it at all, but this is a new thing, only in say the past year or so.

Im pretty sure its fine to take it often. If there is a limit it would say on the package. My mom takes it alot though, doesnt giver her trouble.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </a>

May I ask, how many times a week does your mom take it, and how many years has she been taking it.

Well she has been having stomach troubles her whole life but shes been taking it regularly (every day ) for a few weeks. before that she was on a medicine for a stomach ulcer (which she might not even have now that she talked to a different doctor) before then im not sure how often she took it
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Hey there,

Thanks for the info! Did her doc say it was ok for her to take it that much? Thats a bummer that she has those problems.

Yea i think her doctor told her to take it becuase before she was taking Prilosect OTC and then switched. She has to take alot of medicine for high blood pressure and stuff too so its hard for me to keep track ^_^
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Hey there,

Thanks for the info pink_flamingo!

Symptoms of overdose may include Anxiety; any loss of hearing; confusion; constipation (severe); diarrhea (severe or continuing); difficulty in speaking or slurred speech; dizziness or lightheadedness; drowsiness (severe); fast or deep breathing; headache (severe or continuing); increased sweating; increased thirst; mental depression; muscle spasms (especially of face, neck, and back); muscle weakness; ringing or buzzing in ears (continuing); stomach pain (severe or continuing); trembling; vision problems. This is only if you DOUBLE up on the dose and/or double up often. It is because it has the effect of over dosing on aspirin. Which is also why you should not take this if you are taking aspirin as well. There is a salicylate base in Pepto.
    THIS IS RARE NOT MEANT TO SCARE YOU. I take pepto alot as well. It is mostly to warn you that more isn't better.

Other than that black tongue or really dark stool even blackish and possibleconstipation is usually the side effect of taking it too often.
    The only thing you need to be concerned with is interactions with other meds and I am sure you are not on any that it will cause problems with like blood thinners or if you are pregnant or nursing.

Of course anything I am telling you now isn't the same as getting info from a pharmacist or doctor.

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Hey there!

Thank you for your reply! I was just wondering if it had like longterm bad effects. Yeah I never OD on anything I take, and I donttake any other meds at all. I know what you mean about the blacktongue and stool, yech. Peptodoes help tho, but I still try and hold off as much as I can. I justwanted to know incase it had like bad longterm effects like say liver damage or lining ofthe stomach/intestines damage or anything.How often do you take it? Edited by: Galadriel

People who take large amounts of antacids that contain aluminum may also be at risk for calcium loss and osteoporosis. Long-term use also increases the risk for kidney stones. It can rid the stomach of the healthy bacteria in your stomach and cause an ulcer though it is rare.
    If you are really concerned I would talk to our doctor or Casually ask the pharmacist.
    I use to take it like 3 times day. Now only if I am already feeling ill or if I am going to be in a situation where I THINK I might be ill. ie a car ride.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

i used to take it every day..at least once..maily because i had panic induced naseau...

i stopped...on january 5th..because it bunged me up..REALLY bad..i have taken pepto since..no dramamine either..nothing but rolaids each nite (for heart burn and they are a good sourse of calcium)...and mints!!

And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks