Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

**MAY BE GRAPHIC AND KINDA SCARY

A stomach flu epidemic is spreading throughout TAFE (Australian College), 56 people have gone home since this morning, it stinks here and there is puke in heaps of the corridors, it struck so suddenly.

I'm sitting here in the library with the few who prefer to stay inside. This strain of flu is apparently strong, yesterday, 13 went home, but 56! in one day!

God I may not be afraid of throwing up but this is likeI KNOW I'm going to, I've been hanging out with all my friends this morning and all except one have gone home sick.

It was scary as hell. One moment people are sitting there chatting happily, some complaining ofnausea (Teacher said she wasn't feeling too good and suggested cafeteria food might be off)then one person in the class moans and burps, the next thing she's stumbling towards the bin and...

Then every 2 mins everyone else started getting the same thing, me and 3 friends bolted to the library, we AREN'T going to stay near them. Even the teacher said she felt queasy. Ohh damn, when you've been chatting with someone and then they just go and hurl straight away... it freaks you out, you know you could be next.

God I'm shaking like hell, I just need to vent, to recognize what actually just happened. I've seen people running to the office from all areas, annoyed and freaked out parents. This is definately gonna be on the news.

For once in a while, I'm pretty damn scared, I feel nauseas but I can't tell if it's the worrying paranoia or some horriffic virus taking control, I just don't wanna get sick, ANYTHING not to get sick.

I mean, I know parents have sent kids to school and not long ago I read a post about 99 kids going home sick (that's pretty bad), I'm wondering why the poor children aren't freaking out.

One of the people next to me is emet, she's only just admitted it because I asked how worried she was, she said she would rather die than get this sickness (Bingo, most possibly emetophobia).

The toilets are off limits in my own mind, they're probably full at this moment, and whilst the poor people around me are stumbling around outside, even seeing teachers kneel over bins and hurl, it's absolutely terrifying. Just then, I saw something I won't mention, but it will give me nightmares. Some people are handling it well, keeping a bored face, others are looking fairly distressed.

Any help or reassurance for us left in the library? There's other people in here two, not just us 3, but the teachers in here are worried about the place.

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]!!!!!!!!!!!! An emet's worst nightmare right there.

From the way it sounds(people coming to class and not seeming to realize they're sickuntil they're gunning it to the trash can) the particular illness in your area probably comes on suddenly, with no warning nausea. So there's a good chance the nausea you're feeling is just anxiety. In thatcase, I'd get as far away fromcampus as possible while you're ahead...

So for someone who is cured of emetophobia, and your saying you cured an dnot afraid, what exactly do yo uneed reassurance on?

I guess being quite literally surrounded in your former worst fear can cause a relapse.

ahh... just reading that made me feel sick! juliet is right though, there is still a chance that the n* you're experiencing is a product of the stress and anxiety. keep in mind that as emets, we tend to take extra precautions in getting sick. many of us wash our hands far more than the average person and steer clear of sick people at the first sign of symptoms. i know i do! i hope you can get through this sv* free. let us know how everything goes!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Um yea. Let me just say, I wouldn't move from the library. In fact, knowing me, I would go somewhere by myself, freak out, and yea.

The worst experience I ever had was on a youth trip and everyone except for me and another girl who also didn't eat meat ate chicken that ended up causing food poisoning. We had to ride the long bus ride back with 120 other people on the bus from northern cali to bellevue, wa. the bus had one bathroom in the back. It was absolutely aweful.

If you want to avoid getting sick and it's all around you, the best bet would be to stay away as much as possible from others exposed, and to take vitimin c and crap to boost your immune system.

good luck!

Wow![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] Are they sure it isn't fp??

This sounds like massive food poisoning or Norwalk Virus.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Man that is absolutely horrible. Ugh talk about a complete worst nightmare.

Can sv's hit that fast? Man sounds like food poisoning or a real bad SV. I don't think even food poisoning can hit that fast can it?

If I were you, I would stay in the library for now, it sounds like that is a safe haven, all you people who don't have it yet are there. What about your dorm room? Well, urgh I wouldn't do that either, all those sick kids in their rooms and in the halls. Geez, do you live nearby? Is there anywhere off campus that you could go and feel safe? Just do not use the bathrooms, and be careful to not touch stuff, and yea. Man ahhhhhh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee
    So for someone who is cured of emetophobia, and your saying you cured an dnot afraid, what exactly do yo uneed reassurance on?

Well geez, I would think even non emets would bescared of this one.

I mean thats like a worst nightmare even for those not afraid. I can totally see how being submersed in what was your worst fear could trigger a relapse to some degree. Besides, when did he say he was cured? Is there athread I missed or somethin?

ETA: Ok I found the thread in triumphs. Sounds like Jay got over it a lot to do what he did (that is something!), but yeah I'd think a situacion like this can cause at least some relapse. Edited by: Galadriel

I'm home. It was on the news. Yes, it was a food poisoning outbreak. The cafeteria food WAS off. The teacher was right.

Apparently, the trays used to hold and heat the Pluto pups, chips, sausages, hot dogs, scallops and nuggets was apparently not cleaned and also used to cut up raw chicken for cooking the previous night.Onecafeteria lady went home early and left it next to the sink, but the next morning she forgot to wash it (how could she forget it!). Looks like someone just got fired big time! Basically, 92 people have gone home with Salmonellosis.

Also, quite a few students got sick yesterday evening, BEFORE the incident today. Lots of kids stayed home but most parents were unaware of the outbreak.

I feel sorry for the people enduring it. I guess it's a good thing I pack my own lunch.

Yeah, non-emets were getting creeped outbut me and the emets were pretty scared. Most of us are ok, we know its salmonella now so we couldn't have breathed it in hopefully. I still feel sick but I think it's because I'm getting a cold, got blocked sinus, headache and shaky.

How much of this V* is due to "sympathetic pukers"? I know that can happen and it might not all be SV related.

Still, it sounds very unpleasant and the school needs to figure out exactly what virus or bacteria is making everyone sick. Why are you staying at school if everyone is so sick? It sounds like they will be closing it down soon so they can clean up.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is ANYWHERE safe to eat anymore????
    AGHHH.

I hope you are doing better after seeing that. That must have been gross. How are things now? Did they close the school down yet?
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Whoooooaaahhhh!

Im so glad you made it home and are OK, I dont know how I would have coped in a situation like that, I think I would have just ran as fast as my little legs would carry me and not have stopped til I got home.

Laney

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rough

I'm home. It was on the news. Yes, it was a food poisoning outbreak. The cafeteria food WAS off. The teacher was right.

Apparently, the trays used to hold and heat the Pluto pups, chips, sausages, hot dogs, scallops and nuggets was apparently not cleaned and also used to cut up raw chicken for cooking the previous night.Onecafeteria lady went home early and left it next to the sink, but the next morning she forgot to wash it (how could she forget it!). Looks like someone just got fired big time! Basically, 92 people have gone home with Salmonellosis.

Also, quite a few students got sick yesterday evening, BEFORE the incident today. Lots of kids stayed home but most parents were unaware of the outbreak.

I feel sorry for the people enduring it. I guess it's a good thing I pack my own lunch.

Yea, never trust the cafeteria food. In fact...a lot of food like that. McDonalds for example. I love McD's, but it makes me wonder when they had those commercials advertising with their chicken nuggets, "Now, with all white meat chicken," it made me wonder what we were eating before...

Just be careful about where you eat. I'm glad you didn't get it.

I'm here again today, things have cleared up but quite a few people haven't returned (understandably).

I posted above the cause of the poisoning. The lady got sacked and was stripped of the priviledge of working with food ever again.

As for me, I AM sick but it's only a cold thing. Nothing really bad. They did have a lockdown this morning and there was cleaning in progress. The classes on the other side of the campus are open today but I haven't been to any.

Also, I'm still sort of overcoming the emet. Today, I sculled a creaming soda (1lt) and ended up losing it. I laughed my head off at the factI can hurl for 4 seconds, butif it's illness related...

Also, I guess everyone was freaking out.

Thanks anyway though, and sorry for the bad posts in the other topic and being a d**khead. It's either these stupid anti depressants or the fact that I have 3 quarters of my brain missing + aspbergers.

Jay - can you give us an internet link to the news story that appeared about this incident at your college? I'd like to check it out.

I'd like to read it as well...

Jay, if you don't mind me asking where in Australia are you? I am also in Austrlalia and watch the news every night. I am yet to see any story related to the events you describe. I am interested in what state this happened. I certainly hope it's nowhere near me as my brother goes to Tafe.

Beck.