Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: exposure films

ok so i thought it might be a good idea forus to suggest films that are good exposure with v* scenes that are quite tame...heres wot i recommend

start with sumit like lilo and stitch (sum aliens are sick and nuts and bolts come out there mouths)

that scooby doo 2 (the v* scene is projectile but is just green slime)

hairspray (a girl is sick on a ride but it is watery and there is not much altho it s quite sudden)

if u r feeling brave the worst scene i ever saw was on problem child 2...i think that started my phobia...stand by me is also horrible

the ya-ya sister movie, alot of people thought it looked fake but i ran out of hte theater lol.

cabin fever-- lots of blood and gore and it looks kinda like they arevomiting blood

cheaper by the dozen- a kid gets sick, then another kid slips in it and has it all over him (yuck!)

i'll think of more later [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ..:.*Natalie*.:..

\"My strength is in my honosty\"~Fiona Apple

clueless & i already own it. so i could start on that right away

♥Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

clueless isnt bad really...wot is the yaya movie?! that cheaper by the dozen sounds like one u do at the end after the 'nicer' ones lol

i kno there is already a list but i was thinking in this thread we could suggest films that would be good if u were just startin out exposu etherapy e.g. stand by me wud b far 2 graffic but sumit like scooby doo 2 is easier 2 cope with...i kno margret has done something simular but she admitted she hasnt seen all the films and some of them seem like that are too early/too late in the scheme imo

lol its ok i probably didnt explain it well

Thanks Louise for deleting that!!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

No Missgoddess, it was all me!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

But it's all good now, right?
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I didn't even notice ant v* in lilo an stitch

lol it isnt a v* scene really...its like alien v* which amounts to nuts and bolts...its at the start and is dead cute...i put it down as a very easy start

I had a pretty good progressive list at one time -- I'll have to dig it up. Everyone's different with what bothers them, of course. I found Appollo 13 especially difficult. Stand by Me was near the top (although quite fake). Also "Any Given Sunday" (some football movie) was TERRIBLE (I had to watch that like 100 times to get used to it).

You can order a very good film from Ambassador Video (you can search for it online) that's made by a cognitive-behavioral therapy group in Sheffield, England. It's called "Exposure to Vomit" and mixes some staged, and some real vomiting scenes. It tries to show you a scene from every situation -- children, friends, a woman sick with flu, a preganant woman, some idiot that got drunk and ate too much Indian food, etc. It's a very good exposure film, and if you want to do this seriously, with the help of a therapist, I recommend buying it AND giving it to your therapist so you can go through it together in a safe place. But you'd only want to do this once you've been through the pictures, which I would also recommend printing out in colour (get a friend to do it and put in an envelope) and take to your therapist one at a time.

The thing with gradual exposure - it's almost a "don't try this at home" kind of thing. You can traumatize yourself worse, or have limited results. You really need to be talking to someone you trust who is kind and caring of you while you're going through this. That works the best.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I know of a group here in the UK... who help people with exposure therapy and basically you attend like AA... they have video's... but they always suggest pictures first... black and white ones to start with... putting them up in akitchen coubard or something... so every day you get to see it for at least a few seconds / minutes.. once no affect is had... you put a coloured on up the same one as the black and white one... and so forth... once you feel really happy with that after looking at quite a few pictures with no anxietyyou move on to the video... black and white with no sound... then black and white with sound then colour no sound then colour.... apparently you have to do this 5 min everyday or for how every long you feel you can do it for yourself but of course pushing yourself a bit further... You should find it starts to lesson and lesson... until.. you think oh rite its only a picture or ok its only a film.......I know a long process......

I would though agree with sage on this one... If you are not careful you can do more harm than good and would suggesta proffessional helpsbut if you feel confident try the least upsetting working your way up... and I must stress the least upsetting otherwise you will find you are back at square one or worse...Now I know you are all going to ask me what the group was called... I have lost the papers and I cannot remember it for the life of me.... They have quite a few centres all over the UK but of course there is always a charge... If it was me personaly I would get a respectable therapist who you are comfortable with to help you with this.. Remember they are the experts....

I know a friend who might still have the information on the other group and if so will post about it... Apparently the person who runs it all suffered and has treated for this with exceptional results... I must add though its not easy... Ohhh and I did not go to them... I used exposure methods they suggested and of course runs along the lines of what Margrate had put on her exposure site.....

Collette [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    When I\'m not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.

Lizzie - where is your group in the UK?

Sage - i sont know where im at at the moment - as in i was sick 2 months ago - alcohol induced and very unexpected - i thought it had helped - and it has really, but i am still 'worried' about being sick - i wouldnt wanna do it again. I eat though and my emet is very mild tho.I have had to get over it and kinda do my own therapy coz the UK is so c**p and i cant even see a doctor regularly. do you think a viddeo would be a major mistake to watch - ie do you think its best to leave this alone for me or better to carry on trying to get some therapy?

ps - the drunk who ate too much curry was probably my boyfriend!! LOL- that was exposure therapy enough - i went and found hm 'afterwards' in the gents!

Emma [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Emma, these groups are apparently all over the UK, not sure which one was the closest to me now. Please though I don't want to promote them as I have never attened a session with them. All I was trying to get across was the fact that the method of exposure therapy they suggested and they use. A lot of it was self help with their support.

I have to agree with you though the UK is bad and you have to pay a lot of money to go private. The waiting list for a doctor on the NHSis like 1 year round by me and that was like 3 years ago. The first appointment I had was quick but only to gettold it was aassesement and the way I was dealing with it via exposure was on the right track especially with the job I was doing. They felt I could do this on my own and I was strong enough to do it...They would not accept meon the waiting list hence 3 yeas ago I went private in the end for a year....

If it was really though up to me I would get proffessional help with it than try to do it on your own. You don't have to see someone everyweek but they can at least assess and put you on the right track on how to deal with it and use exposure therapy correctly... In hard times give you the support you need.... Like I said though see them occassionally not every week espeically if its difficult to do... At least you know you can fall back on someone who knows how to pick you up again.... I threw myself into exposure the wrong way and think that is why it has taken me twice as long to get where I am today than if I had listened and done it the proper way... with expert help...

Collette
    When I\'m not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.

It's always best to get professional help if you can. By this I mean if you can afford it, and if you're personally ready for it.

If you want to try exposure therapy on your own, I wouldn't start with films -- start with pictures and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hmm... easy ones...

If you do want something fairly easy to handle, I don't have much of a problem with the movie 10 Things I Hate about You. There's a scene where the girl is drunk and sitting on a swing, and I'm pretty sure you don't see anything, and all you hear is sort of a coughing sound.

If animated v* is easier for you, watch the TV showSouth Park. There's also a movie, but I'm not sure if it happens in there. One of the boys gets nervous and gets sick every time he sees the girl he likes. It's a very fake "blahh" noise and some cartoon sick. Animated really doesn't bother me.

If you can handle puppets, there's a show called Crank Yankers that often has v* scenes. I can't handle the puppets. Maybe some day, lol.

May

"As Good As It Gets" has a mild scene where the child does it on his mother's dress.

A couple episodes of "Rugrats" and "Hey Arnold" have annimated v******...I can tell you the episode names if you need them.

Sage, "Apollo 13" was one of the most difficult v***** scenes I have encountered!! I couldn't watch Bill Paxton movies for a LONG time until Titanic came out! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]I was mad at the actor and scared of him.

Collete,

This exposure therapy group you have sounds like agreat idea!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Good luck with it!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

yeah 10 things i hate about you really doesnt bother me...is i still know what you did last summer bad? i kno its been put on the film list but is it long/short do u see anything, is is graphic etc...i bought the film but am now worried that the scene will happen all of a sudden vand bother me...also my teacher wants me 2 watch angelaa ashes as part of my sociology course...is the scene is easy to avoid and is it realy gross? is there more than one scene in it or lots?

any help would be good!!!

missgoddess, I went to screenit.com, and they list 5 v* scenes in Angela's Ashes. Yikes! I believe it, though, from reading the book! Some of them they don't really identify, like "Frank V's again." Hopefully someone who has seen it will respond, they could probably tell you what to watch out for.

May

omg thatb sounds bad...i had ANOTHER bad night with v* scenes last nite...was at my m8s and sumit wasnt on the tv...parenthood or sumit, wasnt really payin attention 2 this girl was sick, yuck so i turned it overonly to find id changed the channel to another guy doing the deed...wots the world coming to lol...must admit it kinda amused me...how sad is that?!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off"></TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Lately I am too scared to watch MTV, those reality shows are horrid like, The inferno--huge v* scene not expecting, I want a famous face, gets sick in the car and pretty much all other ones I have seen on there. As if it is cool to focus in on someone doing such a thing! Gross!!!</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

I was just thinking about this today and 'Stepmom' has a mild v******* scene in it. You can reallyhear it, but you can't see it.

And ditto Jsims on some of the MTV programming!!! [img]smileys/smilies_30.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_40.gif[/img]And the same goes for 'Fear Factor on NBC!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

We watched Angela's Ashes in English this year too! Its nice though because after you have read the book you kind of know when its coming and can prepare yourself. Ha, but don't listen to me - I left the classroom to go to the "bathroom" every time I thought it was coming! My teacher must have thought I had a bladder problem. I know its kind of counterproductive, but I don't want exposure therapy in 2nd period english class! Anyway, you can look at www.screenit.com and it will tell you specific "gore" that is involved in the movie at different times. I do that each time before I go to a movie with friends. Oh, and I'd like to second that Apollo 13 and MTV are disgusting. They even show the v* scenes in the previews specifically! Avoid The Inferno, Wild Boys, I Want a Famous Face, Real World, etc. unless you are prepared for some graphic scenes! [img]smileys/smilies_30.gif[/img]
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

i really like that dance programme on mtv and that had no v* scenes lol...sumthing project...wot is real world? and wild boys and inferno? ive never heard of them!

Quote Originally Posted by missgoddess
    i really like that dance programme on mtv and that had no v* scenes lol...sumthing project...wot is real world? and wild boys and inferno? ive never heard of them!

The Wade Robeson Project?? I remember this because he used to coreograph for N'Sync...[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Anyway, be glad you've never heard of those shows Miss Goddess!!NASTY NASTY GRAPHIC scenes!!! Jackass has to be the worst of them. The other night I was flipping the channels and I came across 'I want a Famous Face.' This guy wanted to be Elvis. And they showed what was coming up in the episode. I was curious because I've heard of this show but have never seen it. Anyway, they showed TOO MUCH and I quickly turned the channel to one of my safe shows. EWWWW!!! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!