Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I think this was more of a pitfall than a triumph. And it's only about a DOG, though some may find it graphic!

I have this part-time job and the boss always brings her dog in with her (asmall hairy terrier). It tends to eat ANYTHING, like pins and pen tops. Today I enter the office and I see said dog trying to v* so I beat a hasty retreat. Okay I didn't panic, cry or run, but I still felt disturbed, a little shaky. I couldn't watch. I thought my emet was under better control lately but I still found myself upset and trying hard not to think about it.Then theboss comes in and tells us the poor little dog hasn't been well for 2 days.

Later, asks me to do some admin work (I normally work in the shop/retail bit) and insists I do it in her office. So I'm shut in there alone with the sick dog, which I deal with quite well, making sympathetic comments to the poor creature - until it starts whining, retreats into a corner under a table and makes a horrendous squirty noise. I go and tell the boss and she and a colleague come and examine the resultant D*.By now the dog is lying on the chair that I just vacated and I really don't want to sit on it again! They decide poor dog must see a vet today! Then I'm leftonmy ownagain with sick doggie, which promptly starts heaving again and I run into a back room to avoid seeing it. At that point, I gather up my admin work and tell boss I HAVE to complete it in the shop, as the 'smell is getting the better of me.'

To be honest, I wasn't that bothered by the smell. I simply couldn't stand being in the room with a sick creature. I'm the same with humans - I cannot STAND to be around people who are sick - and it's not just V*, it's illness in general. I feel so trapped and claustrophobic, and I was no better with this poor dog! I'm so annoyed with myself. It's like being in a room with an unexploded bomb. At least I could escape and I felt so much better when I did. Later, as the boss departed for the vet, she said to me 'I'm sorry about the smell' and I felt so awful because I couldn't explain I didn't care about the smell of doggie poo, it's just this stupid phobia!

I suppose it had its funny side. We hada new guy start and it was only his second day. He's a bit of a dog expert. So when the dog squitted under the table, he had his head under there sniffing it!!! When he came out, he reassured the boss that it 'wasn't parvo virus. Parvo virus has the smell of death.' [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

Poor guy. Second day on the job and he's cheerfully sniffing dog sh*t! I love him!

I hope the poor dog gets better but ugh, what a day... I can't believe I get freaked out by an animal being sick but apparently I still do...

LOL--the new guy sounds great!!

I'm so sorry you have to witness the poor little dog being sick! I do feel bad for the little guy[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]--maybe he just ate something weird?? My sis has a dog, a Lab, who has eaten sis's underwear and socks!!!!! She has to keep small bits of clothimg away from him. He also ate carpet, and plastic toys--actually swallowed them! I told her he's a goat!! Well, he did get quite sick a few times, and had a BOWEL OBSTRUCTION. Maybe that's what's wrong with the poor little thing!!

Also, on your behalf, I think you'll be OK, contagious-wise. It is rather traumatic to see a dog be so sick, I know. Also, I think the dog should be confined to a space where he isn't disrupting the workers. And needs to get to a vet! You will be fine, soon this will be over.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Aw, thanks, CG. I wasn't really worried about catching anything, it's more of a general squeamishness about yukky substances!My trouble is that I over-empathise and imagine how I'd feel if I had those symptoms, and assume that the sick person/creature must be suffering unbearably, and that's what I can't cope with. I just need to get away from it.

I must remember that dogs are notemets, and maybe don't even feel nausea like we do, and won't even remember being ill once it's over!

As you say, it's likely the daft mutt had swallowed something that had got stuck in its gut. I will find out when I'm next in work. That could be one expensive vet's bill. I have no pets - I would love a cat, but I'm not sure whether I could cope with an episode like this!

Oh, I cant stand near sick people, too. I want to run away just to go.

Few days ago one of my friends in school was sick and she said that she is going to V. I freaked out. She was 2 chairs far from me. Fortunatelly she went home.

I am not bother to be near ill people- but BUT only if they stomach is not hurting them, they dont feel nausea, etc.

We have a bunch of animals. Among them are 3 dogs (and a cat who v* almost daily). I love them, but I can't be around them when they're sick! I totally understand, I'm so squemish. I don't freak out when my animals are sick, like I do if a person's sick, but it's still hard for me to be in the room (and there's no way I could clean up after them).

I think anyone, emet or not, would be grossed out by that LOL.

Poor thing should've been taken to a vet.

I have a Lab and she ate something and got a bowel obstruction requiring surgery. Dumb dog! But she was so sick until she had her operation. I felt so sorry for her but was so grossed out at the same time. Doggie v* isn't as bad but it still made my throat close up. I don't know why your boss didn't take the poor thing to the vet sooner.

Yeah, thelittle dog should have been taken to the vet at least 24 hours earlier.It was pretty inconsiderate of the boss to leave the poor thing to be ill all day, and the rest of us to witness it. She can be completely thoughtless at times, but that's another story!

[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

how is little dog now?

i love animals sooo much and i am sad everytime i hear that some animal is ill or sick...

When I was 15 ( a lot of years ago)I was at a friends house and her cat vomited on the bed, I feaked out, in fact I was so scared of catching it I went home.
    You are not nuts!!!!

Update - the dog is now fine. Apparently it had gastroenteritis. Vet gave it an injection & pills & rehydration stuff, & it was better by the next morning. Now back to its usual delightful self!

And lucky dog, it won't remember ever being ill!

[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]