I think this was more of a pitfall than a triumph. And it's only about a DOG, though some may find it graphic!

I have this part-time job and the boss always brings her dog in with her (asmall hairy terrier). It tends to eat ANYTHING, like pins and pen tops. Today I enter the office and I see said dog trying to v* so I beat a hasty retreat. Okay I didn't panic, cry or run, but I still felt disturbed, a little shaky. I couldn't watch. I thought my emet was under better control lately but I still found myself upset and trying hard not to think about it.Then theboss comes in and tells us the poor little dog hasn't been well for 2 days.

Later, asks me to do some admin work (I normally work in the shop/retail bit) and insists I do it in her office. So I'm shut in there alone with the sick dog, which I deal with quite well, making sympathetic comments to the poor creature - until it starts whining, retreats into a corner under a table and makes a horrendous squirty noise. I go and tell the boss and she and a colleague come and examine the resultant D*.By now the dog is lying on the chair that I just vacated and I really don't want to sit on it again! They decide poor dog must see a vet today! Then I'm leftonmy ownagain with sick doggie, which promptly starts heaving again and I run into a back room to avoid seeing it. At that point, I gather up my admin work and tell boss I HAVE to complete it in the shop, as the 'smell is getting the better of me.'

To be honest, I wasn't that bothered by the smell. I simply couldn't stand being in the room with a sick creature. I'm the same with humans - I cannot STAND to be around people who are sick - and it's not just V*, it's illness in general. I feel so trapped and claustrophobic, and I was no better with this poor dog! I'm so annoyed with myself. It's like being in a room with an unexploded bomb. At least I could escape and I felt so much better when I did. Later, as the boss departed for the vet, she said to me 'I'm sorry about the smell' and I felt so awful because I couldn't explain I didn't care about the smell of doggie poo, it's just this stupid phobia!

I suppose it had its funny side. We hada new guy start and it was only his second day. He's a bit of a dog expert. So when the dog squitted under the table, he had his head under there sniffing it!!! When he came out, he reassured the boss that it 'wasn't parvo virus. Parvo virus has the smell of death.' [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

Poor guy. Second day on the job and he's cheerfully sniffing dog sh*t! I love him!

I hope the poor dog gets better but ugh, what a day... I can't believe I get freaked out by an animal being sick but apparently I still do...