Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi, brand new. I came to this site after searching for a more specific term than emetophobia for what I experience.

I am specifically afraid of stomach viruses. Other things, such as looking after drunk friends etc, dont phase me so much, but if anyone so much as mentions they feel queasy, I stop breathing in their presence and back away, then start to imagine that I feel sick to the point that I have to lie down.

I have 2 children, and have had to deal with bugs at times. When my kids are in the throes of a gastro bug, I lock them away in their rooms, dealing with what needs dealt with by wearing a mask and weilding a can of disinfectant spray.

I had a fight with my husband while he was feeling unwell because I refused to touch him.

I always have medications like maxolon, stemitil etc on hand.

Please help with your words of wisdom, what the hell is this??

Hello there nyxy, welcome to the forum!

You're certainly not alone! I think we all fear stomach viruses more than any ordinary kind of v*, probably because they're so contagious, if you're not careful. Yep, your reactions sound very much like alot of us here - just freezing up when someone nearby is feeling ill, and not daring to breathe until you're a safe distance away from them.

I'm not sure if there's a more specific phobia for stomach viruses in particular...but just know there are many, many others here just like you - and also, there are lots of mothers around here, so if you need someone to confide in, there are plenty of understanding people here in the same situation ^_^

Hope to see you around! Sorry I coudn't help with your question!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

welcome to the forum. I agree with angel13, we all have this.
    My suggestion to you is check out the treatment thread, it can be very helpful.

Hi nyxy,

This is indeed emetophobia. Don't worry - your symptoms are very common. Please go to the treatments thread and read the sticky posts on the top. You will get a lot of information. There is good treatment available for this phobia, and hundreds of people have been helped and healed.

All the best!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the same in alot of ways. An sv* is the most terrifying because I know you can catch it and be sick for a while with it. When somebody is drunk, its gross but knowing you won't catch anything makes it not as bad.

Also, Welcome!

Does anybody know if there is a specific name for "fear of sv*"?

Thanks guys, I guess these things come in all shapes and sizes, huh?

I only fear what can makeme v*, and the sv is the biggest fear, but I am also so picky with food. My husband gets exasperated that I wont eat what I have coined "death food", ie, 2 day leftovers, while he is one of those freaks who thinks foods have a long fridge life. Of course, he is right, he doesnt get sick, but I am trapped in the mindset of "just because it didn't happen this time, doesn't mean it wont..."

This place is great. As I am sure many of you have experienced, this phobia doesn't get treated with the gravity it needs, even by those who love us. It feels good to know that there is a place where I don't have to explain that I am not just being silly, where people wont tell me to "get over it".

I'll check the treatment thread now, thanks again. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]