Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I find at the moment im trying my hardest to get past this and having a hell of a time doing it really,as you know well most of you that my mother is away so it is forcing me to do things that I wouldnt normally due to this fear.

I dont make plans with having emet either, because I usually end up feeling like well ive made them now and ive jumped the gun what happins because I though I could I get ill, this is all part of how irational my fear is I dont know about anyone else's.

Do you feel as if you are double bluffing this emet when doing things like this or talking about it like you want it gone or finger crossing things?

I personally feel like I end up freaking out and it makes things worse.

xVx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Violet, hope you are doing ok?!!

I have these jinxy things going on too, all the time. I wont talk/write aboutthe last time I v* in case it jinxes me, I wont walk past the work toilets and breathe in case someone has been v* in there and the germs are flying sound, I wont use the toilets unless I absolutely have to (and then I hold my breathe or wrap a scarf round my face),I wont soclialise with peeps who've been ill, even close family members (which p**sses my mum off) I have even taking to lately doing my shopping over the internet so I dont have togoto asda/sainsburys and such like.

God, I have to laugh at myself when I write things like this cos it just seems so silly and ridiculous, if only my rational brain would get it!!!

You are not alone, I think we all have different ways of getting thru each day and differne tlittle routines we have to follow. I sometimes wonder how on earth I made it to 37!!!

Laney xx

Worrying about jinxes is very common with this phobia and other severe anxiety disorders. It is an obsessive-compulsive symptom, actually. One step toward taking control of your phobia and beginning to treat it yourself is to stop with ritualistic behavior or with believing in jinxes. There is no such thing. This is the "fear" part of your brain taking over the logical/rational part once again. You cannot jinx yourself, nor will ritualistic behavior prevent you from being sick. Just try it a few times, manage your anxiety, and then you'll see that it made no sense and does not need to be repeated.

I really do get it...and I've been there....but let me assure you it feels way better on the other side of the phobia when I can do any damn thing I please and not worry about rituals, jinxing or whatever. It just plain makes no difference!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

o yeah I have a problem making plans far in advance too! I remember last year, I made plans to go to my friend's sleepover party... I was in a panic pretty much the whole time, thinking I'd get sick... it wasn't until sometime in the middle of the night when I started feeling alright. I was convinced that since I made the plans in advance, and the party was right after finals (and my immune system tends to go down during finals) that I would get sick.I really was fine and I probably would have had a better time if I wasn't so worried. And I try to avoid food that I know someone else was sick after eating (whether or not their sickness was even related to that food..). It's annoying.