Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This adds to the saga from the other day when parents sent sick kids to BOTH of my childrens' schools.

This morning I am taking my daughter to school and one of the moms, who was leaving after dropping her children off, stuck up a conversation with me. She mentionedthat she had a rough night because the kids were v** on and off - first one and then the other. I turned around and gave her a lookthat could have made swiss cheese of our her. Then I said "What the hell is wrong with you?" (I can't believe I said that to an almost complete stranger.) Her answer was "What do you mean?"

After that stupid remark from her, I went in for the kill. After telling her about germ spreading and taking miserably sick kids to school, she had the nerve to tell me that the kids just have a little virus - no big deal. She said that by the afternoon they will probably be fine. I told her that they may not be and that they are infecting all of the children in both classes, which in turn will spread it through the school. She told me that I had a lot of nerve talking to her like that.

With that said, I marched my little keister right into the school, told them in the principal's office and then I paraded right to the nurse. I gave them the name of both children and said "I'll stand here while you go yank them out of class and call their mother." One child was already at the nurse for guess what? v***. The nurse was on my side 100% and said they will send a notice, by e-mail, to all the parents reminding them not to send sick kids to school.

How do you say "Dips**t mother?" By the way, the mother is a physician.

Excuse me while I really go spit nails.

Stella

YAY STELLA!!! YOU ROCK!
    And I am sure the school, the nurse and the poor kids of this "dips***" were grateful for your help.
    That must have felt really freaking good.

\"This too shall pass\"

You go, girl!! Good for you!! Hopefully the email will do some good.

WELL DONE STELLA!

That's exactly the sort of thing we'd all like to do, but don't all have the nerve! Good on you for putting that stupid, irresponsible woman in her place! Can't believe she's a physician!!!!!!

Let's hope the other parents take notice!

Job well done!!!!!
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Good for you!!! I need to take a lesson from you in assertiveness!
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

What could be wrong with that woman to send her (obviously still actvely ill) kids to school. Its mean to them and the other kids! She knew it was an illness and not too much candy or something non contageous that was makin them v*. Grrr!

Do you know what happened next? Did they call the mother? Did she have to come get the kids?

Well Done Hun!!!! So Proud

xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well done Stella!! I wish I was as brave as you.

Haha! That's great! I can't believe you did that! Awesome!

I was hoping she was just ignorant, but she's a doctor for crying out loud. She knows exactly how viruses are spread. So apparently she's just completely selfish and insensitive to her kids' needs and how her actions affect other parents...???!!!

Good for you Stella for taking the issue to the school nurse - let us know how it all turned out.

YAY!!!!!

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Thank you from the cheering section. I think I just went into protective mother mode and had an out-of-body experience. I just could not fathom this woman's behavior.

Anyway,they called the girls mother on her cell phone and demanded she come get them. I waited (outside of course so I did not have to be near sick or possible v*) to make sure she picked them up. She did.

Stella

Im not a mum, but applaud you in what you did, if only other mums were as assertive maybe sv*s wouldnt circulate the way they do!!!

Laney xx

Wow! Why would you send your children to school when they were up vomiting at night? The kids couldn't have gotten any sleep. They wouldn't even be able to learn anything when they're sick.

That is so awesome. Stupid people!!! We here lament the spread of these things, and ignoramuses like the dips*** mother actively spread them!!!

Just imagine with me, if you will, if EVERY person in the world who got sick quarrantined themselves till the virus was dead.
    **aaaahhh, utopia**

I had one where the mother brought her kid to a party my kid was at, and she casually says "Yeah, hubby wanted to be here, but he is at home in bed throwing up." I wanted to dump a bucket of bleach on her head then and there.

The only positive thing one could take out of this incident, and others described is how UNafraid the average person is. The physician mom, particularly, has probably seen so many people REALLY sick in her practice, that she doesn't think of a minor thing like a virus as any big deal. Neither does the woman whose husband is home sick. WE care, but that's because of our ANXIETY, and not necessarily because we're so dedicated to public health. Now that I work in the hospital, I see people so incredibly sick and dying that I kind of get why most folks don't give a damn about a virus that's here today and gone tomorrow.

But I know it's really frightening to an emetophobe!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Good for you!!! I'm glad that woman wasn't my mother. Can you imagine being sick all night and your mother dropping you off at school? She probably just wanted to go home and go to sleep..

Unfortunately, that is the truth. But it would be nice if we could feel like it was all about public health.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

WE care, but that's because of our ANXIETY, and not necessarily because we're so dedicated to public health.
    Edited by: japa

Speaking of physicians, I had both my daughters at the doctor on Wednesday. One of them had been running a fever off and on for three days, but generally acting fine. The other one was just along for the ride. Turns out the one with the fever tested positive for strep so they swabbed my healthy DD just to make sure since she had it three times in the fall. Well, guess what, she tests positive too despite any lack of symptoms. So, I ask the doctor if she is contagious since she has no fever or symptoms and the doctor says yes. My DD then gets this look of panic and starts crying that she won't be able to go to her gymnastics class that night and the doctor looks at her and says, "Oh, you can still go honey." So, goes to show you just how much the "rules" are bent.

I'm not a Mom but I would have freaked out on her too! Good for you! Like Sage said that it's our anxiety and not so much a concern about public health, but REALLY who would want another kid infecting THEIR Kid if they could help it? I mean it may be a minor inconvience to someone without EMET but it's STILL an inconvience! I think that's REDICULOUS that people would send their kids to school sick...especially after V*ing all night!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I agree with Sage about our anxiety, but the schools have policies in place and they clearly read do not return your child to school until they have not v* or had d* for 24 hours. My anxiety tells me that we need atleast 48 hours, but the average person would agree that 24 hours is prudent. Bringing children to school within hours of v** or D** is just plain dumb.

Stella

Our school has that policy as well, I think it is so that the virus doesn't spread like crazy! It also says that they can't come in until 24 hours after a fever.

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

This adds to the saga from the other day when parents sent sick kids to BOTH of my childrens' schools.

This morning I am taking my daughter to school and one of the moms, who was leaving after dropping her children off, stuck up a conversation with me. She mentionedthat she had a rough night because the kids were v** on and off - first one and then the other. I turned around and gave her a lookthat could have made swiss cheese of our her. Then I said "What the hell is wrong with you?" (I can't believe I said that to an almost complete stranger.) Her answer was "What do you mean?"

After that stupid remark from her, I went in for the kill. After telling her about germ spreading and taking miserably sick kids to school, she had the nerve to tell me that the kids just have a little virus - no big deal. She said that by the afternoon they will probably be fine. I told her that they may not be and that they are infecting all of the children in both classes, which in turn will spread it through the school. She told me that I had a lot of nerve talking to her like that.

With that said, I marched my little keister right into the school, told them in the principal's office and then I paraded right to the nurse. I gave them the name of both children and said "I'll stand here while you go yank them out of class and call their mother." One child was already at the nurse for guess what? v***. The nurse was on my side 100% and said they will send a notice, by e-mail, to all the parents reminding them not to send sick kids to school.

How do you say "Dips**t mother?" By the way, the mother is a physician.

Excuse me while I really go spit nails.

Stella

Way to go Stella!!!!! That took guts to talk to that mother like that and you were absolutely right. Parents have no business sending kids to school while they are sick and the parents are aware of that! Hopefully the mother gets it through her head. Some people...@@

I taught a little girl yesterday (Kinder, 5-6 years old)who told me she V* last night. I wanted to kill the parent! But I taught the child and didn't show anxiety because the child didn't do anything wrong --- my job is to teach the child, not blame the child for not being able to stay home.

I did send the child to the nurse and she didn't have a fever, so she spent the day in my class. I just talked with the girl for a minute about if she knew what to do if she felt like she was going to V* and went on with class. I knew that if I got ansty or anxious that I wouldn't be able to teach the other 21 kids in my class effectively. The kids needed me to be their teacher and to watch out for their health, which I did by sending the little girl to the nurse when she said she didn't feel good, but the kids needed me to be their teacher more than than "health supervisor".

I do teach kids to cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze. I just wish I always had enough sanitizer for everyone, but I only inforce that rule when the classroom is pre-setup for that or if the school allows for sanitizer in the classroom (the chemicals in it often make it banned in some schools!)
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

purpleteacher,

I agree that it is your job to teach the child and not make her feel as though anything she did is wrong. The parent was wrong.

I know many parents who are not emets, but would not have appreciated a child coming to school who had been v*** the evening before. Most rational parents know that the child will spread sickness to the rest of the class.

I fault the parents. I posted months back about a mom who brought her v* son to my daughter's preschool (five years ago). We were both walking into the school at the same time and I noticed her son was far from weel. When I inquired to what was wrong, she gave me the details. I was furious and told her every reason why he should not be at school. She left the school, with her son, cursing me every which way to Sunday. It turned out he landed in the hospital that afternoon. What she thought was a sv turned out to be menigitiis. Fortunately, since this was a Monday morning and the children had not had school since the previous Wednesday, no one was infected. I shudder to think had I been there a few minutes before or after, this child would have spread meningitis!!!!!!!!!!!

As you know, the schools set health policies for reasons. The primarily one is to stop the spread of disease. We all know kids will and do get sick. However, bringing a child to school v** or with high fever is just plain dumb.

Stella

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

purpleteacher,

I agree that it is your job to teach the child and not make her feel as though anything she did is wrong. The parent was wrong.

I know many parents who are not emets, but would not have appreciated a child coming to school who had been v*** the evening before. Most rational parents know that the child will spread sickness to the rest of the class.

I fault the parents. I posted months back about a mom who brought her v* son to my daughter's preschool (five years ago). We were both walking into the school at the same time and I noticed her son was far from weel. When I inquired to what was wrong, she gave me the details. I was furious and told her every reason why he should not be at school. She left the school, with her son, cursing me every which way to Sunday. It turned out he landed in the hospital that afternoon. What she thought was a sv turned out to be menigitiis. Fortunately, since this was a Monday morning and the children had not had school since the previous Wednesday, no one was infected. I shudder to think had I been there a few minutes before or after, this child would have spread meningitis!!!!!!!!!!!

As you know, the schools set health policies for reasons. The primarily one is to stop the spread of disease. We all know kids will and do get sick. However, bringing a child to school v** or with high fever is just plain dumb.

Stella

OMG! That's so lucky the kid didn't infect everyone with meningitis. I can't even imagine!

In elementary school, my mom was busy a lot and generally we were sent to school until the nurse said we had to go home. But if we'd been up all night v-ing then there's no way mom would have sent us to school. If not for the fact that she was a teacher and it's difficult with the whole class gone because someone got everyone sick, or the fact that with 3 kids she wouldn't appriceate other mothers bring sick kids to school on purpose and have us get sick and her having to deal with that, but because we felt crappy and tired and weren't going to be doing much learning anyways.

I would think parents would be more considerate. If not thinking about public health and being selfish, at least you'd think that as a parent they'd think about their own kid. Sending a child who's had no sleep due to being sick all night is not good for them. Even if the kid has gotten all the v- out of it's system, sending them to school when they have no energy is exactly how you relapse and get sick again. When you're sick you need to rest, not go to work/school.

When will parents get it? Some people are so clueless! As a future parent, I won't send my child to school sick and it angers me to an extreme that other parents are not going to be that considerate to me or their own children!

Quote Originally Posted by cheerio

Speaking of physicians, I had both my daughters at the doctor on Wednesday. One of them had been running a fever off and on for three days, but generally acting fine. The other one was just along for the ride. Turns out the one with the fever tested positive for strep so they swabbed my healthy DD just to make sure since she had it three times in the fall. Well, guess what, she tests positive too despite any lack of symptoms. So, I ask the doctor if she is contagious since she has no fever or symptoms and the doctor says yes. My DD then gets this look of panic and starts crying that she won't be able to go to her gymnastics class that night and the doctor looks at her and says, "Oh, you can still go honey." So, goes to show you just how much the "rules" are bent.

That's disgusting. Who is the physician to tell your daughter where she can and cannot go? I would think that's up to the parent to decide. Especially if the child has strep.....I think I would have had it out with that doctor. In fact, I would have gone to someone higher and reported her. NOT okay, at least as far as I'm concerned.

If you kept your cool, good job. I probably would have slepped the doctor and demanded a new one in the future.

How could a physician be so careless?

And this is not the emet in me talking, but the common sense lover who thinks it is horribly irresponsible to send an infectious kid to school.

On top of it all, the child probably really wants to be asleep or at least resting and not at school trying to concentrate!

I hear many people today say, "I have to send my children to school because I have no one to watch them". My mom always lept me and my sister home if we even hinted we were n*. She'd call into work or ask my dad to come home early (he often worked a double 3rd & 1st shift).

Good on you for standing up to this careless parent! She should be ashamed for exposing other kids and for denying her child rest and recovery time!!!!

Marie,

I agree with you, people should call off of work when their kids are sick. Many times they want to "save" the days for other obligations that may surface in the future. The ones who pay for sending the sick child to school IS the sick child, along with the teacher and the other children. There are no shades of gray here. This is a black and white situation. Schools have policies in place for reasons. This is just one of them that the parents feel confortable breaking.

Stella